ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 A post about "Flipping" 
Comment King

rhinomilk wrote:
fyi: kelly clarkson just canceled her world tour... probably due to poor ticket sales. i am bummed

She's remaking herself w/ shockabilly.

You can't beat the cramps for campiness!

Still one of the best out there!

Ike

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Comment King

I guess I was destined for punk rock and toys then thanks to Godzilla and Ultraman, I couldnt get enough of it when I was growing up with Capt. Kangaroo in the 70's. I am gonna go with that theory, thanks hotfunk.

I'll go with that as well - Tom Terrific and the surreal Mr. Rogers shit were crucial to my upbringing.

The nerd=punk=coillector equation is pretty spot on, IMO - it's the same weird artistic sensibility.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:23 pm
Comment King

I am all over the place, I like Rockabilly too. In Japan its insane.

Haha. Do you dance in Yoyogi Park on Sundays?

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:48 am
Die-Cast

Baikin wrote:

COOLEST-GUYS-ON-EARTH

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:49 am
Super Deformed

Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:53 pm
Side Dealer

gabbagabba wrote:
Baikin wrote:

COOLEST-GUYS-ON-EARTH

LOL, Just don't make the mistake of enterring their "dancing turf". They're pretty touchy about that. :lol:

Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

I think Dave Attell did when he went to Japan for "Insomniac" and they got all up on his ass. Looked liek they wanted to pund him, but being Dave Attell all he could do is make fun of them. That was my fav. episode of "Insomniac."

Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:13 am
Line of Credit

Didn't partyboy from Jackass get pushed around when he tried to dance with them?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:54 am
Fresh Meat

When I saw that there were new posts on this topic I thought: are they still discussing flipping?! Nooo, dancing japanese rockabilly punk rock dudes is the latest craze! Flipping is soooo 3 months ago :D

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Post Re: A post about "Flipping"
brianflynn wrote:
2. Don't go to ebay.

i didnt read all of the pages of responses, so my apologies if this was already addressed...
but how about including "don't go to KR with your sales thread either". from time to time i see threads on here, then i see them over on KR on the bst. but oftentimes over there, it is more of a fishing expedition.."make me an offer" bullshit. just keep it here. if KR kids want to collect these, they know perfectly well where to look.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

can we get an official ruling regarding make offer sales, some people have stopped while others haven't and I think we should all be on the same page. Is it permitted here or not.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:32 pm
I'll go with that as well - Tom Terrific and the surreal Mr. Rogers shit were crucial to my upbringing.

I just received a pretty bad DVD of some pirated Tom Terrific episodes (about 2 hours worth). Despite the bad video quality, it fired a lot of synapses that hadn't probably fired for quite a while.

When my kids were young (they are both now just finishing college or in grad school), I used to tell them "Tom Terrific" bedtime stories that I just made up based on the concept of a boy with a magical funnel shaped hat that could turn himself into anything, and who lived in a treehouse with Manfred, the Wonder Dog. These weren't accurate retellings of the Tom Terrific cartoons, but I used the characters and my memories to create stories the best I could. Of course, the villian was always Crabby Appleton!

Classic, black and white, single line drawing, memories!

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:55 pm
Die-Cast

They had TVs back then? Wouldn't the light from the screens alert the dinosaurs to your location?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:10 pm
S7 Royalty

They had TVs back then? Wouldn't the light from the screens alert the dinosaurs to your location?

ouch.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

:lol: too funny.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:02 am
Site Admin

FYI, this post is from 2007 (look at the creation dates) but it still will answer a lot of your questions -up until the dancing that is.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

Now i know where all the trouble makers came when they left the KR boards (geo, loco, knewnan, etc).

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 pm
Comment King

Post Re:
greg wrote:
Locomoco wrote:

:lol: too funny.

awesome

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 pm
Toy Prince

Post Re:
rednecktex7 wrote:
Biff wrote:
rhinomilk wrote:
fyi: kelly clarkson just canceled her world tour... probably due to poor ticket sales. i am bummed

Ike

From what I understand Lux Interior (r.i.p.) was a toy designer too. Did some model work for some rat fink toys I think, not sure what else. Never checked the net to see if there's a comprehensive list.

It is a considerably old thing.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:13 pm
Super Deformed

Post Re: Re:
Habbit wrote:
rednecktex7 wrote:
Biff wrote:
rhinomilk wrote:

Ike

From what I understand Lux Interior (r.i.p.) was a toy designer too. Did some model work for some rat fink toys I think, not sure what else. Never checked the net to see if there's a comprehensive list.

:shock: Lux Interior designed toys?? Wow! I would want to see some samples those toys he designed.

TWITTER: @jaytaruc

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:20 am
Toy Prince

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux_Interior has no info, the net is just clogged with info about his death. I'll keep looking around. I remember reading in the early 90's that he was also a toy sculptor on the side, that he worked with Toybiz (or whoever) to do a round of RatFink toys, maybe others stuff. Couldn't find anything under his real name either (Erick Lee Purkhiser fyi). For now, it's an urban legend.

It is a considerably old thing.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:11 pm
Mini Boss

quoting and bumping for some of the newer members

brianflynn wrote:
An old thread worth revisiting:

-------

I just recently had a quick PM from someone on the board about being perceived a "flipper". It strikes me that many newer board members do not have a clear idea of the expectations many board members have of each other, and what used to happen in a much larger context than it does now. In short, act with integrity to your fellow collectors, and they will help you with knowledge, access and finding toys.

1. Most collectors help finance their collections from buying and/or selling other toys that are undervalued from one place to another. This is common, but there are wrong ways and right ways to do this. Basically, if you find an OLD toy for cheap (old being a very subjective word) and ask a fair price for it or offer it for trade, everyone will be fine. If you resell a NEW toy quickly upon receipt, or if you bought a NEW toy just for the purpose of using it as trade bait, you will get scolded.

I define OLD as something that has been out long enough that the existing stock of it is still not swapping hands. This may take 2 months, 6 months or a year. Just because you are not seeing it swap hands, does not mean it is not moving around still. The RxH Fungus from last week is not old. The RxH Lucky bag figures from January are.

I define NEW just the opposite way. If they are still running around, swapping hands, and the release is still fresh. Kozik Damnedron is still sort of new, as theya re still popping up. Trying to over capitalize on this would be a no-no.

2. Don't go to ebay. The board is fairly insular, so when people get toys that they do not feel are up to snuff or not what they had hoped, they usually offer them on the boards first as a way to offer it to those who missed out, as releases are usually quite limited, and someone just like you missed out. It makes for good toy kharma, and there is nothing better than getting a figure you thought you missed for the same release price a few days later. If you do this, you will be surprised what comes back to you when you miss something. (Which I can guarantee will happen.)

2. Don't go fishing for bids. Ask what you want. The open ended "make offers" is a sure way of politely saying "I want as much as you are willing to pay". The excuse of "I started the bidding at under what I paid" does not cut it either, as you are willing to take as much as they are willing to give. Don't capitalize on other collector's insecurities.

Even if you list an auction or board sale at $50, but it ends at $150, regardless of your intenions while listing it, the end result is the same. If your intention is not to loose money on the toy, asking for any more than you paid on a brand new release is profiteering in some way. You just have to decide if you want others to treat you in that same way you are treating them or not.

3. I think the concept of "perceived value" is a problem here. It all depends on your perspective. If something is released and a week later is selling for +$25 over the original release price, many people think they are getting "ripped off" if they do not receive the additional +$25. It is a theoretical number. The amount of money you paid for the toy is what you financially debted to it -nothing more. Everything over that is speculative. To reiterate, you just have to decide if you want others to treat you in that same way you are treating them or not.

We had a really great thing going on for a while, where people steadily moved through new product that they did not like, passing it along to other board members at a retail price. This encouraged this behavior and allowed everyone to jump start their collections and try different items out without fear. The point of collecting is to buy toys that you like, regardless of value. Hopefully they will all acrue value. But, if you buy toys simply by the perceived dollar signs attached to them you will not only burn yourself, but others as well.

To bring the point home, I will use a personal example.

a. I did not have a cocky, it was the only skullbrain I was missing. I was missing it because I was not willing to pay the price of the figure based on how fugly it is. That said, I had every other skullbrain, I needed to "finish the set". I spent three years not paying for that brain, until a board member offered one up as a trade. Because he got it cheap, he passed it to me for cheap in a swap for a new toy he wanted. Could he have gotten more $ for his toy? Yes. But, we both got what we wanted out of the trade, and I will always make sure to treat him the same way as he treated me, because that is how we roll. Might he get preferential treatment sometime when he really needs it? Probably. The point is, he probably won't ask (unless he realllllly needs to), so it wouldn't even be an issue. He is not looking for a pay out on his good deed. That is how it is supposed to work. It is like a Family here, so treat them correctly.

I hope that helps shed some light on some of our expectations for you. The point is to enjoy getting the toys, not paying $200 for them a week later.

-brian

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 pm
Side Dealer

As a new member to this forum, and a relatively new collector of the Kaiju toy asthetic, I would like to first off say that it's great to find a forum where gouging is not only frowned upon, but to an extent regulated. I say I'm new to the Kaiju scene only because I never new there was a name for the toys I've drooled over for years, and I'm also a new collector because I've been sober for a year now, and now that I've gotten stable in life I can finally start spending money on things that will give me pleasure for years instead of spending money on something that will make my life feel tolerable for a few hours. In a sense toys have really been key to my sobriety.

Although I do agree with some of the points that the person made in regards to Brian's original statement concerning retailers. I think the main difference is this: Retailers don't buy out the latest Rose Vampire series in order to drive up the prices, flippers do.

My wife and I had this exact conversation last night, about the retail world, and we both concluded that a large problem with flipping is this, a flipper isn't taking any risks, so in a sense they never lose out. A company like SSSS takes a risk everytime they put out a new mold. In reality there's a real chance that people may not like the new milton that comes out, so by the time they make the mold, pay for materials, pay the sculptors, and the artist, you have accrued a large amount of overhead. On the other hand all a flipper has to do is look for what's hot, and buy up as many as he can at the lowest price point, sell them on the bay, and boom 99 bucks a RV. with 25 to 35 into it. I see those non painted green Le turds all the time selling for 50 bucks a pop, when the whole set of 3 different figs was offered for 55 (am I wrong?).

Why should we be paying some Scumbo an extra 50 bucks for a toy when they had nothing to do with production... It's funny because I'll sell dummies on E-bay everyonce in awhile, but I always point out that people would be much better off looking at the artist homepage for the artist proof of the dummy than to buy it from me. I would much rather see the artist get another sale, than me, because even though it's a double of something I already have, I didn't do anything to aquire it besides pull out a blind box, and so far the stuff that I've directed people to buy from the artist, are the stuff that's sold the fastest for me (?). I know I've jumped around a little bit in this comment but my main feeling is this, why should a flipper get big money when the only thing he's created is a demand by buying them all up for sales... I don't see the artist charging SSSS that much for the creation itself.

Instead of buying 2 peices from a flipper, go to super7 and buy a original Leecifur and support an artist. That's my plan anyways. I'm totally dreading this Le Merde Dummy, not because I don't like Dummys and not cause I don't like Le Merde, but his stuff is hard enough to get now, imagine when the whole flipping world finds out about him!!!

My Want's List is as follows:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38572

2 Face, or OG Nag, any except R. Fink tribute.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Comment King

Last edited by kikaiju on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 pm
Post Pimp

Welcome to the board. And congrats on the year without drinking. I can't even imagine the strength you need to do it! Keep it on!!

slipstar01 wrote:
As a new member to this forum, and a relatively new collector of the Kaiju toy asthetic, I would like to first off say that it's great to find a forum where gouging is not only frowned upon, but to an extent regulated. I say I'm new to the Kaiju scene only because I never new there was a name for the toys I've drooled over for years, and I'm also a new collector because I've been sober for a year now, and now that I've gotten stable in life I can finally start spending money on things that will give me pleasure for years instead of spending money on something that will make my life feel tolerable for a few hours. In a sense toys have really been key to my sobriety.

Last edited by kopponigen on Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next