ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 A post about "Flipping" 
S7 Royalty

My guess, Pushead record covers, and skateboarding graphics? Maybe? Plus during the eights, the show "Night Fights" on the USA cable, showed punk movies/videos and live action Japanese monster shows. I remember seeing the godzilla movies and ultraman playing on the TVs at clubs too (I'm taking around the mid-eighties). That were I became interested on all the monster stuff, because it was so weird.

Much love to USA's Night Flight- that show exposed me to so much cool shit as a young'n! Nothing like it on nationwide cable, before or since!

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:06 am
Side Dealer

I guess I was destined for punk rock and toys then thanks to Godzilla and Ultraman, I couldnt get enough of it when I was growing up with Capt. Kangaroo in the 70's. I am gonna go with that theory, thanks hotfunk.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:07 am
Post Pimp

why the rockabilly hatred? haha (not that I am or anything)

I really do think a lot of it is just based on aesthetic appeal to each "scene". you could look at it from the flip side, saying why do more rockabilly kids collect old style Universal monster toys and Rat Fink stuff than punk rock/hardcore kids? there is something about those things that is ingrained in the rockabilly culture moreso than in punk rock culture.

I'm sure as someone said, some of the Pushead stuff has a lot to do with it. but even then, I knew lots of punk rock kids (myself included) who were into Godzilla toys long before there were Pushead sculpts. I think there is a definite sci-fi/nerd connection there.

I think there are some metal dudes here too. I'm more of a metal guy than a punk rock/hardcore guy anymore. but I also just think that maybe a lot of it is even too silly for metal guys. they don't want cartoony monster toys, they want like real human skulls and stuff. not to make them all out to be Beavis and Butthead or anything, but I mean, I think we've all known people who are really like that. also, this hobby is expensive and a lot of times they work at gas stations and stuff and they'd rather spend what little money they have on drugs and real ninja weapons than toys.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

I am all over the place, I like Rockabilly too. In Japan its insane.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:57 am
Post Pimp

yeah, I don't really like a lot of it. but some of what I do like happens to be Japanese rockabilly.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:07 am
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

night flight definitly exposed me to the same things. If it wasnt another state of mind, godzilla, it was sick of it all videos.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

I thought I was the only one here who remembers Snakefinger, nice to see I'm not alone. Philip Lithman RIP.

Edit: Xoconostle, you know Homer or Hardy I'm assuming; even though they aren't really Residents?

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:45 am
Illuminati

poster Khanate is the rep for the metal toy collecting community.

Writer's Page: http://www.esoterra.org/editors.htm

Last Hurrah Records: http://www.lasthurrahrecords.com

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

there are lots of raver/electroniac kids collecting too. We just don't like to talk about music as much as you punk kids do.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:18 pm
Comment King

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:23 pm
Comment King

"I really do think a lot of it is just based on aesthetic appeal to each "scene". you could look at it from the flip side, saying why do more rockabilly kids collect old style Universal monster toys and Rat Fink stuff than punk rock/hardcore kids? there is something about those things that is ingrained in the rockabilly culture moreso than in punk rock culture."

Wow - interesting observation - i never really considered the fact that rockabilly guys (and girls) collect monsters, just different kinds of monster - but the observation is spot on.

I also happen to like rockabilly (some of it - old school like Johnny Burnette, not so quite old school like the Blasters and new stuff, especially japanese rockabilly and garage) - AND i collect Rat Fink (but have cut back to concentrate mostly on japanese vinyl. Japan has some insane rat fink toys and the quality is amazing.

Here's a fun fact - lots of punk musicians collect japanese vinyl. I know Danzig has collected it since the 80's after getting exposed to it on tour in Japan. I've bought some records on ebay from howie pyro (of D Generation, among others) he collects the stuff too, Nicole Panter (former manager of the germs and ex of Gary Panter- she and Gary used to collect the stuff, just to name a few. Of course you've got the artists to the punk rock stars collecting too like Coop and Kozik.

that's pretty good company to be in, if'n you ask me.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:38 pm
Side Dealer

What was the name of that Panter Graphic Novel with the old Bullmarks on it, that was insane to me back in the 80's. I would love to have that again.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:56 pm
Comment King

Here's a fun fact - lots of punk musicians collect japanese vinyl. I know Danzig has collected it since the 80's after getting exposed to it on tour in Japan. I've bought some records on ebay from howie pyro (of D Generation, among others) he collects the stuff too, Nicole Panter (former manager of the germs and ex of Gary Panter- she and Gary used to collect the stuff, just to name a few. Of course you've got the artists to the punk rock stars collecting too like Coop and Kozik.

that's pretty good company to be in, if'n you ask me.

That's good to know because i was a huge punker growing up. The 90s was more like a post-post punk era but i was still rocking the 80s tunes.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Vintage

fyi: kelly clarkson just canceled her world tour... probably due to poor ticket sales. i am bummed

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

fyi: kelly clarkson just canceled her world tour... probably due to poor ticket sales. i am bummed

She's remaking herself w/ shockabilly.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:23 pm
S7 Royalty

I'm pretty sure Frank posted a story here about selling japanese diecast to the misfits.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

What was the name of that Panter Graphic Novel with the old Bullmarks on it, that was insane to me back in the 80's. I would love to have that again.

Do you mean Gary Panter or Charles Burns? 'Cause the latter had a comic with really cool Bullmarks, like Baragon, on the cover. Can't remember the name of it, though. My wheels are shot.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 pm
S7 Royalty

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:49 pm
Side Dealer

Yes, Charles Burns! I get them confused to this day and I dont know why.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:08 am
Toy Prince

and Burns always includes some sort of iconic monster boom imagery in his graphic novels. So does Daniel Brereton.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:39 am
Side Dealer

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:41 am
Site Admin

I have the back cover original to that Big Baby! It is a toy collage. Too bad Burns did not have the front any longer.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

I have the back cover original to that Big Baby! It is a toy collage. Too bad Burns did not have the front any longer.

brian don't be a pic tease.

lets see it.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

Charles Burns' Big Baby

I've been a fan of Big Baby and Burns since the late 80s. Big influence. The man is pure genius. Way ahead of his time.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

I love them both, but I'd have to say Panter has been a much bigger influence than Burns. If you have any doubt the guy is genius read Jimbo in Purgatory.

As for toys, Panter's "The Man Cat Toy" is about as punk rock as any toy out there. I'd love to see more Charles Burns toys though. The Monster Teens toys are nice, but the book is better.

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:50 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next