ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:03 pm

Why Flesh Vinyl? 
Post Pimp

Post Why Flesh Vinyl?
Hey all, I dunno if this has been discussed before, or if maybe this should be in the vintage section, but I have a general question about Japanese vinyl: Why is so much of Japanese vinyl cast Flesh colored vinyl? Looking through the Mook I see so much vintage stuff thats flesh underneath the paint. Then I think about stuff like the Flesh RxH sets, Kinnikuman, M1 unpainted reproductions- Is there a reason behind the decision to use flesh vinyl? I did search for this but the results are so varied. Anyone have any insight?

thanks,

Phil

Website! Instagram! Flickr! Wanted! for sale!

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

Post Re: Why Flesh Vinyl?
I'd assume all the neo-kaiju/fight stuff in flesh is a straight homage to the vintage classics. I have no clue on the classics though. Maybe it was cheaper back than? Or just an easier base color to paint whatever they wanted over? My guess is either costs, availability or practicality to paint over. Good question, I'm interested too.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:43 am
Mini Boss

It's because most of the companies (like Obitsu) use their equipment to make dolls, so they usually have a lot of flesh-colored raw materials on hand.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Post Pimp

Oh! That makes sense, I didn't even think of that. Well that solves that mystery, doesn't it? =)

thanks,

Phil

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

hellopike wrote:
Oh! That makes sense, I didn't even think of that. Well that solves that mystery, doesn't it? =)

thanks,

Phil

+1 ...thanks

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:42 am
Line of Credit

BloodDrinker6969 wrote:
I'd assume all the neo-kaiju/fight stuff in flesh is a straight homage to the vintage classics. I have no clue on the classics though. Maybe it was cheaper back than? Or just an easier base color to paint whatever they wanted over? My guess is either costs, availability or practicality to paint over. Good question, I'm interested too.

Also seem to remember Lash and/or Kirkland mentioning 'flesh' vinyl tends to be easier to paint... of course my brain might be wrong.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:52 am
Die-Cast

Roger wrote:
It's because most of the companies (like Obitsu) use their equipment to make dolls, so they usually have a lot of flesh-colored raw materials on hand.

I figured it had something to do with practicality. Whenever it's a question of "why" with the vintage stuff, it always seems to be. Thanks Roger.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 am
Post Pimp

Zaaier wrote:
BloodDrinker6969 wrote:

Also seem to remember Lash and/or Kirkland mentioning 'flesh' vinyl tends to be easier to paint... of course my brain might be wrong.

I don't know about this one, all colors of vinyl I've painted are pretty much the same in terms of paint adhesion when you're painting them, its just that the color underneath will show through thin coats and effect the color- So if you were painting yellow vinyl with blue paint, the first coat might appear green depending on thickness of the coat. That being the case, I would say white is the easiest to paint.

phil

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

thats a pretty interesting answer to a question iv wondered about before. thanks !

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 pm
Line of Credit

What color is flesh really? I always consider what people call flesh colored vinyl tan. :D

www.kfhc.com

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

Monkey wrote:
What color is flesh really? I always consider what people call flesh colored vinyl tan. :D

I like to call it "long pork." ;p

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:18 pm
Mini Boss

Some questions answered about vinyl, including "long pork:"

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Go ... sage/36347

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:20 am