ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:26 am

FLIPPING - Why Not? 
Die-Cast

Post Re: FLIPPING - Why Not?
zwrdl wrote:
In my own experience, no legitimate collector (or dealer, for that matter), will put a figure up for sale without a price. They already know what they need to get to make it reasonably worth their while.

Or lazy. You get the "oh I've been out of the 'game' a long time, I'm not looking to flip but forgot what I paid" and in a lot of cases take LESS than what they paid or it might be "worth." So it's just being lazy which dictates their actions to ask for you to "make an offer."

Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:18 pm
Toy Prince

BloodDrinker6969 wrote:
http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11257&hilit=flipping
Here ya go.

Excellent. In fact, most of the responses here have been not only excellent, but what I had hoped they would be: reasonable and, as it turns out, in line with my own thinking. I'm still trying to see who speaks and how they speak on the forum.

I forgot the name of the movie, but in it the hero has to pass between two figures who will burn him to a crisp if his heart isn't pure. (Most do not make it, of course.) Whereas those guardians fulfill a much needed function, they are not always the best representatives of their culture, especially when it comes to dialog. :wink:

Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

zwrdl wrote:
Quote:
I've had a not-so-active-member offering me one of my wants and asking me to make HIM an offer. When I messaged him asking how much he wanted for it he never replied.

Quote:
also had someone ask me to name a price and i did the same, saying, as not to offend, that maybe they should say how much they want for it. I never heard back from them.

This is a well known phenomenon in other venues, easily identified by the "I never heard back" complaint which goes along with the "make me an offer" ploy. It's usually indicative of one of several things, none of which is entirely above board.

1. The seller has a customer already lined up and wants to charge top dollar, but he doesn't know how high he can go before the potential buyer complains about the soak.

2. The seller doesn't actually have the figure, but knows where he can get it, and wants to know whether there's enough margin for him to buy it for turnaround. Classic flipping.

3. The seller is trying to sell to whomever offers the top bid, but doesn't want to put the figure up for open auction.

4. Whoever has the toy has no idea what it's worth and is looking for an appraisal. He (or she) may or may not have any intention of selling it at all....at least not on this forum.

On rare occasions, the seller will actually accept an offer if it's within his own ballpark estimate; however, anyone legitimate will reply with an acceptance, a flat decline, or a counter-offer, just as would happen with the BO option on the Bay.

In my own experience, no legitimate collector (or dealer, for that matter), will put a figure up for sale without a price. They already know what they need to get to make it reasonably worth their while. People who use the "make me an offer" ploy are at best greedy, and at worst dishonest and greedy, and should be reported and boycotted.

In my opinion, of course.

I never thought of this, but it makes sense. That said, I find the scenarios where someone PMs you wanting to BUY something and never responds back once you start a dialog much more irritating... I've had three or four of those and they drive me nuts.

Prometheus Rising Studios
Store, Twitter, Tumblr, Wants

Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

Your knowledge of flipping is extensive.

You're probably a flipper trying to figure out how to flip on this board.

zwrdl wrote:
Quote:
I've had a not-so-active-member offering me one of my wants and asking me to make HIM an offer. When I messaged him asking how much he wanted for it he never replied.

Quote:
also had someone ask me to name a price and i did the same, saying, as not to offend, that maybe they should say how much they want for it. I never heard back from them.

This is a well known phenomenon in other venues, easily identified by the "I never heard back" complaint which goes along with the "make me an offer" ploy. It's usually indicative of one of several things, none of which is entirely above board.

1. The seller has a customer already lined up and wants to charge top dollar, but he doesn't know how high he can go before the potential buyer complains about the soak.

2. The seller doesn't actually have the figure, but knows where he can get it, and wants to know whether there's enough margin for him to buy it for turnaround. Classic flipping.

3. The seller is trying to sell to whomever offers the top bid, but doesn't want to put the figure up for open auction.

4. Whoever has the toy has no idea what it's worth and is looking for an appraisal. He (or she) may or may not have any intention of selling it at all....at least not on this forum.

On rare occasions, the seller will actually accept an offer if it's within his own ballpark estimate; however, anyone legitimate will reply with an acceptance, a flat decline, or a counter-offer, just as would happen with the BO option on the Bay.

In my own experience, no legitimate collector (or dealer, for that matter), will put a figure up for sale without a price. They already know what they need to get to make it reasonably worth their while. People who use the "make me an offer" ploy are at best greedy, and at worst dishonest and greedy, and should be reported and boycotted.

In my opinion, of course.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
i love kirkland.

i hate this thread.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:03 pm
Post Pimp

Can someone move this to Krotch Rot?

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:44 pm
Toy Prince

toybotstudios wrote:
Your knowledge of flipping is extensive.

You're probably a flipper trying to figure out how to flip on this board.

Wow! Was it that obvious? :lol:

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:31 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

zwrdl wrote:
I will assume that's your sense of humor expressing itself and that you aren't really a paranoid jerk. :D

Unfortunatey Kirkland's an android and lacks any sense of humour or need for paranoia . . . he may be a jerk but unless you man up enough to tell him to his face that comment's void.

Given your response I'd say his observations might have some credibility . . .

Edit - Wow . . . glad that quote was captured for posterity before you changed it . . . :|

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:50 am
S7 Royalty

haha, nice.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:46 am
S7 Royalty

I think Toybot putted it rigth.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:43 am
Comment King

yup.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:19 am
Post Pimp

I can assure you, Michael is no flipper. He bought his first toy here in the store last month and is just excited to learn.

On the contrary, he is a super collector. He compiled one of the world's most extensive vintage postcard collections, that now finds itself at home in the Smithsonian.

Last edited by stealthtank on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Scary Andy wrote:
zwrdl wrote:
I will assume that's your sense of humor expressing itself and that you aren't really a paranoid jerk. :D

Unfortunatey Kirkland's an android and lacks any sense of humour or need for paranoia . . . he may be a jerk but unless you man up enough to tell him to his face that comment's void.

Given your response I'd say his observations might have some credibility . . .

Edit - Wow . . . glad that quote was captured for posterity before you changed it . . . :|

Well, I did think my first post was given in the same spirit that Kirkland posted me, since it seems kind of obvious if you read my posts, and have seen the prices in my sales, that I am not a flipper. And, even if I were, given my so called "extensive knowledge," I would not be looking for a way to flip things here. I mean, people do actually read things before they reply to them, right? That's my assumption anyway.

So, I figured it *was* really his sense of humor, and decided, after a moment, to reply with my own sense of humor, i.e. the second post, which was the edit from the first one. I assume that no one will take me literally. (Except, maybe you, of course. :wink: )

How the original post got saved, I do not know, unless it's just you creating some drama, but I'll stand by either of them. Take your pick.

BTW, this is twice you've decided to post your opinion that I'm a bad guy, or some equivalent. Folks tell me you're actually a pretty good guy, and that I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss you as just someone who likes to stir up trouble. But I'm inured to it, so if you really would prefer an adversarial relationship instead of looking for common ground, or being friendly, that's your call. Me, I would prefer friendly.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 am
Profile WWW
zwrdl wrote:
Scary Andy wrote:
zwrdl wrote:

Folks tell me you're actually a pretty good guy.

they are liars

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:59 am
Toy Prince

I love you guys.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

zwrdl wrote:
How the original post got saved, I do not know, unless it's just you creating some drama, but I'll stand by either of them. Take your pick.

I was responding to your original post . . . nothing dramatic.

zwrdl wrote:
BTW, this is twice you've decided to post your opinion that I'm a bad guy, or some equivalent. Folks tell me you're actually a pretty good guy, and that I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss you as just someone who likes to stir up trouble. But I'm inured to it, so if you really would prefer an adversarial relationship instead of looking for common ground, or being friendly, that's your call. Me, I would prefer friendly.

Twice :shock: . . . I don't recall the first, but at least it shows I'm consistent! :D

stealthtank wrote:
He bought his first toy here in the store last month and is just excited to learn.

To learn about flipping? :D :D :D

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:06 pm
Die-Cast

havingmysay wrote:
they are liars

I (heart) HMS!

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Toy Prince

Scary Andy wrote:
stealthtank wrote:
He bought his first toy here in the store last month and is just excited to learn.

To learn about flipping? :D :D :D

Hey, I teach it, muh man. :P

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

This thread makes me so >yawn< ...sleepy.

I decided to come up with lame flipper slogans for a while instead of responding properly.
Flip Hard Never Die.
Flip to Live...Live to Flip.
One life...FLIP!
Flip Happens.
Flip, Flip, Flip, Smile.
Did you hug your Flipper today?
Flip Big or Go Home.
Flippers do it in the bst.
I Flip for fun!
I Flip and I vote.

My Flickr

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

Remember that movie the Usual Suspects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na9XnZfZjDU#t=1m06s

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:03 pm
Toy Prince

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

let's see pictures of these vintage postcards mr. super collector.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:48 am
Toy Prince

toybotstudios wrote:
let's see pictures of these vintage postcards mr. super collector.

http://www.nursepostcard.com

Pictures are on the gallery page and the "Click Here To View Larger Image and Cover Notes" page.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:35 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

a book on vintage nursing postcards, no less? hardcore.

impressive focus.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:17 am
Profile WWW