ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 pm

How to Protect Yourself as Seller and Buyer 
Addicted

Post Re: How to Protect Yourself as Seller and Buyer
I still stress that folks do their homework before blindly sending money to someone (not just on the board), especially when being asked to "gift" it.

Sadly some of the more notorious scam artists are still hanging around this hobby, even after being banned from SB... hope that new recruits don't fall victim to their bullshit.

Last edited by smurph on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:20 am
Mini Boss

resolved

Last edited by andy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 am
Toy Prince

I just want to add, and then I am done too, that I never doubted his character. But it is still a good idea to have buyer (and also seller) protection in any large transaction. Things happen. It is really a simple question about whether personal payments are safe for large transactions with anyone.

cindy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/84182158@N00/sets/72157644356316526/

I collect cryptids & yokai (monsters from folklore), monster flowers and monster cats (negoras)

TRADE/ SALE:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/84182158@N00/sets/72157642056363755/

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

Wandering off topic . . . needlessly retracing steps and deleting all responses! It used to happen a lot and always seemed kinda punk-ass to me! :?

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 pm
S7 Royalty

Just wanted to add the biggest scammers here have been long-time members with thousands of posts. Don't mean nuttin.

Wish list: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48478&p=861452#p861452 (ok, somehow forgot html)

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:21 pm
Toy Prince

Quote:
He told me that he was a long-time member of the board and was a "known quantity." Which he probably is, but not yet to me. Anyway, he basically told me that this is the way this board works. His exact words were "I honestly don't think you understand the way this board works, since you're a new member. I've been here 8 years and have dealt with countless people. You've been here 17 days. This is not a level playing field. I'm sorry if that isn't fair, but it's the truth."

Glad to see the spirit of RFSO is still alive in 2014.

Oh..wait...

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Gift payments are either for bonafide gifts or for transactions between two people who have complete trust in each other. Doesn't matter if one party is an old member if the other party (whether new or not) doesn't know the other party. After all, it's not like old members have never turned into douchebags.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:50 pm
Toy Prince

I believe its something like 250$ value where its required to have a signature otherwise you get assed out due to policy or something. I learned that on a thread here not too long ago, its good to know.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:56 pm
Addicted

JORDAN23 wrote:
It's not like old members have never turned into douchebags.

WANTS:
http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=45773&p=779418#p779418
TRADES:
http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46434

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 pm
Addicted

Smurph726 wrote:
Also people, if you're selling something above $250 be sure to add signature confirmation when shipping or you will not be covered by PayPal in the event the sale goes south.

leili wrote:
I believe its something like 250$ value where its required to have a signature otherwise you get assed out due to policy or something. I learned that on a thread here not too long ago, its good to know.

dead horse = beat to a pulp :lol:

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:30 pm
Toy Prince

its a good horse, what can i say

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 am
Side Dealer

beat that 250$ to a pulp... i've been burned that way, only then did I learn this rule... if its blasted out there enough, to protect one persons wallet, it's worth it.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:39 am
Addicted

Truth ^^^

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:44 pm
Addicted

In case you didn't get the email from PayPal in regards to the upcoming policy changes (or take the time to read it), there's one in particular that that makes no sense to me:

Starting May 15, 2014 the $250 sig confirmation rule is being changed to $750 (the same goes for returning a $750+ item back to the seller).
PayPal wrote:
Section 11 of the User Agreement currently requires that sellers obtain signature confirmation for transactions of $250 USD or more in order for a transaction to be eligible for Seller protection for an Item Not Received Claim. That Section also currently includes a table for the corresponding foreign equivalency amount. This section will be changed to increase the dollar amount required for signature confirmation from $250 USD to $750 USD, and the foreign equivalency amounts are also being increased.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/u ... le.x=en_US

I just cant understand why PP would chose to triple the dollar amount required for sig confirm, which will probably lead to a huge increase in "item not received" claims (and a lot more work for them) as a result.
Can someone please help explain to me PayPal's possible reasoning behind this?

*This is NOT an April Fool's joke.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:39 pm
Site Admin

I read that to mean that transactions under $750 will be protected without signature confirmation, and that only transactions over $750 will need that confirmation to able to be protected. Is that incorrect?

TiredChildren Design
To Write Love on Her Arms (My Day Job)

Trades / Unpainted PK Wants / Micro Wants / Wishlist

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

Right, just as it was before with the $250+...

Do you not foresee a lesser mandate of sig confirmation equaling a lot more "item not received" claims for PayPal to deal with (whether legitimate or not)? I would totally understand if the value was lowered, but this in effect will make PayPal 3x more liable to cover the seller in the event something goes wrong. From a business standpoint this makes zero sense to me (higher call volume + more liability). Every other mega-corporation goes around cutting corners and expenses, why would PayPal do the opposite? It just doesn't add it up in my book... so I'm asking for help understanding.

So who's going to be protected? Say I buy something for $500 and it gets stolen from my doorstep because I didn't need to be home to sign for it... Great, PayPal will protect the seller (who wasn't required to have me sign), so where does that leave me? PP sure as hell isn't going to kick out a grand out-of-pocket to cover both parties... are they?

Today's news aside (and trying to stay on topic), I hope people kick out the couple extra dollars to insure any high value packages they ship via USPS (which includes sig confirm). Not just to help protect the contents from possible theft on the receiving end, but also from the abuse that definitely can (and does) happen in transit.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Fresh Meat

Although much of this great info should be painfully obvious, it sadly is needed these days, aye.

As for me, I always have my tail covered with at least several pairs of iron trousers, and I won't send *ANY*thing, regardless if its a $1 trading card, without full insurance and delivery confirmation. It should also go without saying that bubble wraps, peanuts, and inner security is a must. If a box I'm sending can't survive at the bottom of an ocean or stand a kick down the alleyway, its NOT being sent out. I'm also a huge believer in mummification via heavy-gauge packing tape.

Have you ever received a video game that was just tossed sloppily into a cheap envelope, the edge of the cartridge actually poking out through a corner? What about a figure actually broken to pieces due to disrespect and utter carelessness? And how did that make you feel?
:wink:

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:06 am