ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Board Change Announcements 
Team Tsubu

Post Re: Board Change Announcements
ultrakaiju wrote:
Speaking of previous generations, I was wondering what is going to happen with the old site, i.e. will the address automatically redirect to the new one, or will the old domain just expire?
The new SB, as I understand it, is just going to be plopped into the same place that we're hanging out this very minute - skullbraintoys is just a test url that will evaporate in the morning sun.

James @TiredChildren - I noticed that some changes I made to my profile when we were last testing are still part of the system since you wiped the test site - for instance, I'm still 59-years-old and from Giant Adenoid. Will I revert back to "normal" once we have the fresh set of clothes on here?

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:25 am
Mr. Grumpy™

I absolutely hate the new board (sorry James) and probably won't join the migration. I can't access my own account. I can't change anything. My avatar which I went over and linked to my gravatar account awhile back won't show up anymore because my gravatar email address is different from my SB email address. The layout is so confusing, can't find anything and when I do it's a pop up and denies me permission to my own account. It's a complete mess IMO.

Goodbye old friend. If the board ever goes back to how it is now someone email me- otherwise i'm out.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Team Tsubu

Chris --- Much of the pain in the ass that you're experiencing is because James - for some reason... time, maybe? - hasn't activated a mountain of permissions over there in this latest test iteration. Offputting, I know. Most of what you mentioned worked fine, albeit differently, when we were doing the beta thing several weeks ago. I didn't fall in love, mind you, but I was able to feel around in the dark without too much difficulty. Grandpa was able to program the VCR.

So... don't spread that email addy around too generously yet?

o

I'll bail, by the way...

if we don't bring back the blue!

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:41 am
Line of Credit

Hey James, I just wanted to say that if you wanted to postpone any changes due to the events in Orlando, you would be totally justified. If it was my town, I would not want to be dealing with technical crap right now.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:58 am
Vintage

^ here, here.

And Chris, I completely feel what you are saying, but don't do that to us man. We have lost so many good folks on this board already, we don't just want you here, we need you. I know I'd feel it if you left completely. Good folks, honest talkers, and great taste in toys is what makes this community worth coming to still; and you are all of those man. Stick with it, at least for a while. Change sucks and we all have our hangups, but - if only for purely selfish reasons - I would like as many of the older crowd still active on here to also be on nuBrain.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:09 pm
Line of Credit

It's going to be a new set of things to play with and possible more features to engage each other. I'm all for the changes.

If anything, this current system will still be there with added functionality and user experience. I say give it a chance once it's live and all ironed out and I'm sure there will be aspects of it that will please.

flickr
Wanted Thread

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:21 pm
Team Tsubu

Last minute concerns - is there a list of what we'll have to save from here, should we still want the info, that will be lost once we switch over?

Friends list?
Bookmarks and subscriptions?
Anything else?

Oh, and the stuff I asked about above and on the last page. Sorry, James.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:32 pm
Comment King

I'd also like to know what I'm supposed to save before the migration.
Also, I just popped over to the new forum... Are there no signatures anymore? Or is that only on mobile?

Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I am going to postpone for a few days. I want to be sure that as many people understand what's going on as possible before I switch.

I'll post more and address most if not all of the questions tonight.

TiredChildren Design
To Write Love on Her Arms (My Day Job)

Trades / Unpainted PK Wants / Micro Wants / Wishlist

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The board address will be identical to our current board. http://skullbrain.org/bb/ I'll leave a backup of our existing board up at something like http://skullbrain.org/legacy/, with an easy-to-find link for people to go grab their stuff. You won't be able to post or send PM's, but you'll be able to log into your account and grab things like your avatar, subscriptions, etc.

The only things that won't transfer automatically are avatars, subscriptions and custom private message folders (if you've created any). Signatures, follow lists, posts, PM's, etc. will all transfer over.

I'm going to try to incorporate some blue here and there, if only to shut David up.

All access will be identical on the new forum. Links will be in a different place, but you'll be able to access everything you can access now. For the sake of not having to set everything up 3 times, the latest version of the test board has some wonky permissions, so editing things like your profile, avatar, posts, signatures, etc. is limited. That stuff will all be fixed over on the new board. There will likely be some small things that I miss in the initial launch, but as I see things to fix, I'll fix them, and we should be at 100% correct permissions within a day or two.

Signatures will be a part of the new forum. You might not see them on mobile, which is how the mobile style works on the current board.

Bookmarks should still work. I'll be setting up some redirect code that will read old links and redirect them to the correct spot on the new forum. I'm actually hopeful that some of the existing links that are currently broken (because of the horrible Jason deletion debacle) will take you to the proper spot in the thread.

Let me know if you have other questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Hopefully everyone will go back and read some of these answers, as I think I've actually answered some of these questions in this thread already.

TiredChildren Design

Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

toothaction wrote:
Down, please. Some of us need an excuse to go outside.

This. :lol:

Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:29 pm
Mini Boss

toothaction wrote:
...Friends list?...

You actually have a friends list here :lol:

:wink:

Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

I was wondering why the apocalypse hadn't arrived yet.

And I better see all of you people on the new SB. SB isn't SB without all of you... Yes, even Scary Andy and his snark. :wink:

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Lixx wrote:
I can't access my own account. I can't change anything. My avatar which I went over and linked to my gravatar account awhile back won't show up anymore because my gravatar email address is different from my SB email address. The layout is so confusing, can't find anything and when I do it's a pop up and denies me permission to my own account. It's a complete mess IMO.

I went in and roughly edited some of the permissions so people can check out the board a little better. Let me know if you're still having issues.

TiredChildren Design

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Grumpy™

Able to load that avatar James (the old way but still it works- thanks!) Fooled around with profile stuff. So what is two step verification?

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Team Tsubu

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:00 pm
S7 Royalty

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:33 pm
Vintage

Sorry to be a continually querying Quinten, James, but can I just ask about the custom inbox folders you mentioned. By not transferring over, I am sure you just mean that the folders/names themselves will have to be created anew, totally fine, but I presume that the actual messages contained in any such folders will all be merged into your PM inbox. Is that correct? I am one of those people who has logged multiple folders bursting with PMs :oops: so I just wanted to check, not that I overload my inbox right from the start, or lose everything contained therein.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:14 pm
Site Admin

ultrakaiju wrote:
Sorry to be a continually querying Quinten, James, but can I just ask about the custom inbox folders you mentioned. By not transferring over, I am sure you just mean that the folders/names themselves will have to be created anew, totally fine, but I presume that the actual messages contained in any such folders will all be merged into your PM inbox. Is that correct? I am one of those people who has logged multiple folders bursting with PMs :oops: so I just wanted to check, not that I overload my inbox right from the start, or lose everything contained therein.

Yep, all PM's will transfer over, they'll just all be in one inbox. I'm still figuring out if there's a good add-on that will give us folders and other PM goodness over on the new software.

TiredChildren Design

Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:22 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

That's just what I figured, James, but I really appreciate the clarification. Thanks!

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:03 am
Fresh Meat

Thanks James for all you do!

Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:47 am
Die-Cast

hellointerloper wrote:
And I better see all of you people on the new SB. SB isn't SB without all of you... Yes, even Scary Andy and his snark. :wink:

Still bummed that my suggestion of 'accidently' deleting all post-2010 memberships was nixed! :( :wink:

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:22 am
Team Tsubu

Y'know, that reminds me - there are currently 773 people on the rolls that have never made a single post - time for a thinning of the herd? :twisted:

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:29 am
Vintage

No, those will officially all be my sock accounts.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:01 am
Side Dealer

Hey... some of us post-2010'ers are loyal contributors and call this place home now :|
*edit:

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next