ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:28 pm

Call out to UK 'brainers 
Vintage

Post Call out to UK 'brainers
So I am kind of surprised that there really isn't anything in the way of a collective topic here for UK/SB associated stuff. I know that the contingent here on the isles is not many, but there are some of you out there, and as a sort of proxy local for the time being, I just thought I would chime in to take the initiative. [dodges the flying bottle] I know, it goes against the whole reserved British-ness, which is just why an ol' friendly and uncouth lumberjack is coming in to rile up the masses.

So, for starters, how spread out are we all? I think logistically any meeting could pose some problems, but might as well ask. I was just wondering if there was any interest of organising something, or the very least giving each other a shout - or a subtle but reserved tip of the head - next time there is some con or event going on. Anyone?

If not, that's fine too. Just postulating.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:49 am
Die-Cast

Post Re: Call out to UK 'brainers
I moved to the middle of nowhere to avoid people and minimise my interaction with 'em . . . 'nuff said!

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:19 am
Fresh Meat

Im in London/south east and was considering maybe throwing a show like badteeth did in oz to bring some people out of the wood work... I'll be at toycon which is pretty much the only con we got this side of the pond (let me know if there are any others!)

I know a few toy people but be good to meet more SB dudes, shout me up...
... But not you Andy.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:23 pm
Addicted

i'm not British, but we were colonized to the point of school uniforms, regular canings with cricket bats and mince pies for dinner. That qualify me for the group hug?

I might be at the next toycon, happy to meet any washed brainers.

Speaking of London, I haven't been back in years. My usual haunts were covent garden, soho and brick lane. Any cool current stores i should know of? (western or eastern vinyl, books, design etc.)

From what i remember there were a few skate shops that carried some vinyl odds and ends (in Soho and brick lane i think) and then of course forbidden planet.

Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:11 am
Vintage

Does anyone know anything about The Hang Gang? I just learned about them through the Gargamel thread. Supposedly they might have new releases of toys, but nothing per their website or FB page or blog seems to be updated all that much (little since 2014 even). I'd be interested if anyone has had dealings with them (or is associated with it, for that matter) and if they have a brick and mortar shop. There is a location listed as being in Leeds, but I have no idea if this is anything (Google maps doesn't seem to point towards much there).

flickr part [2] part [3]

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:39 am
Fresh Meat

ultrakaiju wrote:
Does anyone know anything about The Hang Gang? I just learned about them through the Gargamel thread. Supposedly they might have new releases of toys, but nothing per their website or FB page or blog seems to be updated all that much (little since 2014 even). I'd be interested if anyone has had dealings with them (or is associated with it, for that matter) and if they have a brick and mortar shop. There is a location listed as being in Leeds, but I have no idea if this is anything (Google maps doesn't seem to point towards much there).

Never been to the store, but its run by a really nice dude (Ben i think hes called..) I got figs and lucky bags from them before and have met him at shows and he has a booth at toycon (with a nice 'SALE' box for a shifty thru). He is on SB too i think. the website doesnt update too often but the store does get new stuff in now and again.

So you in the UK now? for how long? ill come try and sell you Joes over a light ale!

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 am
Fresh Meat

Got my timing wrong, should have joined SB before ToyCon! 'cos I was there, drooling over some nice stuff the Hang Gang had, also impressed as usual by Unbox who have a good mix including some great Kaiju/Sofubi influenced stuff being produced by them, and plenty of others too.
Ben, the HangGang guy is one of the organisers of ToyCon, and he was telling me that the reason he doesn't get time to update the HG website and post up some of the toys is just that, time! He has another job too, pretty easy to see why selling toys is not a particularly stable income, so updates to the site, prepping all the images etc. needs to be done in his spare time.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:44 pm