ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Bay Area Skull Krew
Post a reply

EArthquake...!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:58 pm

earthquake.. 3.8

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 560691.php

Re: EArthquake...!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:05 pm

lasted for just a couple of seconds. not really enough to know that it was a quake but we're hoping that was the big one that people talk about. :lol:
...and not enough to knock over toys I have at work.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Don't forget, today is the Anniversary of the SF 1908 earthquake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_San_F ... earthquake

Personally, I could do without the big quakes! Too messy, unsettling, and too much damage :x

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:22 pm

time to get take getting ready for the big ones seriously! gonna bubble wrap all my toys!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:34 pm

You should always have an earthquake kit at home AND in your car. Ladies, please make sure you have comfy walking shoes stored in your car--can't be walking miles and miles on those sleek stilettos :wink:

The goal is to be self-sufficient for TWO WEEKS (at least) in the event of a large earthquake:
http://www.essortment.com/pack-earthqua ... 30236.html
^^^A good description of the necessities.
Also, a wind-up/solar powered flash light and radio are really handy for emergencies as well. Candles can be a fire hazard so rechargeable light sources are much safer. Don't forget water purifying tablets and/or a filter. Remember that you can survive 30 days without food, but you won't last for more than 3 days without water (dying of thirst is an agonizing way to go).

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:31 pm

bigger is not always better and in this case that is an understatement! Glad to hear it wasn't too bad :!:

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Thank you Living Dead! Yes, thank goodness it was only a teeny quake to mark the Anniversary of the 1906 big one! I hope that the situation is improving for everyone in Japan, and my heartfelt hopes and best wishes go out to you and everyone there!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Mr. Humphreys wrote:Thank you Living Dead! Yes, thank goodness it was only a teeny quake to mark the Anniversary of the 1906 big one! I hope that the situation is improving for everyone in Japan, and my heartfelt hopes and best wishes go out to you and everyone there!

Thank you as well. I think we are just rolling along with aftershocks. A pretty big jolt hit this morning. It didn't last long, but I'm curious if anyone in my collection went for a dive. I will have to check during my lunch.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 am

I had three toys take a dive (no damage). But I live in daly city closer to the epicenter. Glad to hear that the situation is getting better in Japan

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:44 pm

no toy diving here, but I heard my neighbor scream. magnitude is still not listed...

edit: usgs lists it as 4.2.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/nc71667366.html

edit 2: marked down to a 3.9
Last edited by gatchabert on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Had some toys take a plunge, nothing too bad though.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:51 pm

3.9 in the East Bay. Glad everything is cool Aaron

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Isn't the Rapture suppose to be tomorrow?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 pm

gatchabert wrote:Isn't the Rapture suppose to be tomorrow?

Yeah but only for a street or two here in Oakland.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:02 pm

best thing I've read so far about this quake...
Jesse Hernandez wrote:So the Best part of that Earthquake was it happened at the exact moment after i sat back down in my chair...sorry Folks #BOOM

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:46 pm

ha... today is california earthquake awareness or something.
all schools and other establishments had an earthquake drill today.
we were off by a few hours i guess. i didn't feel anything.
neither did anyone at school.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:48 pm

by the way... don't these smaller scaled quakes help relieve some of the "stress" on the fault line, or something like that?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Lalo wrote:by the way... don't these smaller scaled quakes help relieve some of the "stress" on the fault line, or something like that?

ture...and it appears there was a small mag. 2 shaker a few minutes ago that I didn't even feel.
in case anyone has never seen what kind of activity we get out on this coast as compared to the rest of the US...

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Round 2. Everyone alright?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Hayward Fault is giving way...!

better get to this side of the bridge Aaron.... and don't forget Shannon.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 pm

toybotstudios wrote:Hayward Fault is giving way...!

better get to this side of the bridge Aaron.... and don't forget Shannon.

The tidal wave is coming TOWARD you Kirkland!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:56 pm

I suggest heading over the hill into Dublin , everything west of the fault will snap off and fall into the ocean.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:04 pm

straightoutta..LOKASH wrote:I suggest heading over the hill into Dublin , everything west of the fault will snap off and fall into the ocean.

I'm gonna stay right here in the Oakland hills and enjoy my new beachfront property!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 pm

sorry, SF will be an island paradise

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Both of today's quakes felt sort of like explosions to me. More bang than shake. Yikes.
Post a reply