ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:23 am

Need help from Bay Area Skullbrainers with kids. 
Post Pimp

Post Need help from Bay Area Skullbrainers with kids.
Hi Guys,

As some of you might know, one of my passions outside toys is Theme Parks. (specifically vintage Story Book parks) I write them up for my blog https://enchantedkiddieland.wordpress.com/.

I've been to most kiddie parks on the east coast, and hope to hit some West Coast parks in the future. However-There's one park that has eluded me. Children's Fairyland http://fairyland.org/ in Oakland. The park will not admit adults without children. (Because someone entering a park like this without a kid is obviously a creepy predator, and not just a fan of the bright colors & architecture, and 1960s nostalgia-but WHAT-EVER.)

ANYWAY-I know I can't go in, but the park still uses a "zoo key" type of system called "Magic Keys" and they come in a bright rainbow of colors with a crown on top. Essentially the key goes into box at the story book scenes, which turns on audio when you use the key. They are super cool, and I'd love to have as many as I can get my hands on. They are $3 at the entrance gate (i'm not even sure you NEED to buy admission to purchase one) so if you or anyone you know is planning to visit this park with their kids PLEASE consider buying a spare key or 10. I will pay you for them + shipping. This is what they look like:

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Need help from Bay Area Skullbrainers with kids.
This is seriously awesome... Someone help with this!

TiredChildren Design
To Write Love on Her Arms (My Day Job)

Trades / Unpainted PK Wants / Micro Wants / Wishlist

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Thanks! :) I managed to buy one vintage one on ebay ONCE...so far no luck on others. I imagine they may also turn up at second hand shops out west as well-since they have been selling them for decades.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

Have you tried reaching out to them, telling them you write a blog, and asked if they would sell and send you a few?

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:33 pm
Post Pimp

Brooklyn_Vinyl wrote:
Have you tried reaching out to them, telling them you write a blog, and asked if they would sell and send you a few?

I did that earlier today, but I am working all angles. I went for the "I'd love to support you, but I live on the east coast, so I hope this will allow me to do so"

:)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Wow Missy! :shock: Good luck! I don't have any 2-legged kids, otherwise I would help. I had no idea that the Children's Fairyland didn't admit adults without kids. Just checked their website, and you're right! :evil: The last time I was there was when I was a kid... I must say though, that is quite an extreme rule. I understand the precautionary thought, but adults do like kid things too (me! :P ). Can't say I'd support them with such a blanket policy like that. I was just thinking I'd love to see the park again. I remember when I was 4 years old, you could pull the tongue on that dragon statue, and the eyes would move from side to side. Oh well, I guess I won't be able to visit, unless I could rent a kid :roll: :evil:

P.S. The San Francisco Zoo, way back when, before it got spiffified, also had story boxes activated by plastic keys. The first version was a red elephant key--the "trunk" part of the key fitted into the story box. The second version was the same elephant, but a blue key. No more story boxes at the SF Zoo, but at least they DO admit adults without kids, even in the "Kid's Petting Zoo" section.

P.P.S. Two other now defunct kiddie parks that were in San Jose were:
Frontier Village
http://www.frontiervillage.net/
*I begged my Dad endlessly for non-stop repeat rides on the mules and donkeys (they were so cute!)

Santa's Village
http://www.santasvillage.net/santas.vil ... story.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Santas-V ... 6080250114
Don't remember much, except that it was a fairly small park, without donkeys :wink:

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm
Post Pimp

I KNOW it is so stupid that they have that rule. I have gone to dozens of "Kid's parks" (including some I grew up visiting) with no issues. Usually they just warn me that there are no thrill rides when I am buying my ticket! I tell them I know, and I go in. haha. Very extreme rule. Fairyland does host an "adult evening" sometimes with cocktails and photo ops, but the problem is the gift shop is not open (I had a friend try to buy me one when she went to that) and also the park is dark, so the photos aren't great. I'm going to have to rent a kid too. haha.

The Philadelphia zoo also had zoo keys using "Trunkey" The same model was used around the country through the 60s, 70s and into the 80s in some places. I am slowly picking those up when I can find them affordably. They are deifinitely more plentiful than these story book keys! Thanks for the links to the other parks! I was familiar with the Santa's Village parks, but didn't know about Frontier Town! I recently visited the ONLY operating western park in the US in Netcong NJ. http://www.wildwestcity.com/ It was my first time at a western park, and it was so cool! I wrote up my favorite attraction here:
https://enchantedkiddieland.wordpress.c ... t-was-won/

Mr. Humphreys wrote:
Wow Missy! :shock: Good luck! I don't have any 2-legged kids, otherwise I would help. I had no idea that the Children's Fairyland didn't admit adults without kids. Just checked their website, and you're right! :evil: The last time I was there was when I was a kid... I must say though, that is quite an extreme rule. I understand the precautionary thought, but adults do like kid things too (me! :P ). Can't say I'd support them with such a blanket policy like that. I was just thinking I'd love to see the park again. I remember when I was 4 years old, you could pull the tongue on that dragon statue, and the eyes would move from side to side. Oh well, I guess I won't be able to visit, unless I could rent a kid :roll: :evil:

P.S. The San Francisco Zoo, way back when, before it got spiffified, also had story boxes activated by plastic keys. The first version was a red elephant key--the "trunk" part of the key fitted into the story box. The second version was the same elephant, but a blue key. No more story boxes at the SF Zoo, but at least they DO admit adults without kids, even in the "Kid's Petting Zoo" section.

P.P.S. Two other now defunct kiddie parks that were in San Jose were:
Frontier Village
http://www.frontiervillage.net/
*I begged my Dad endlessly for non-stop repeat rides on the mules and donkeys (they were so cute!)

Santa's Village
http://www.santasvillage.net/santas.vil ... story.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Santas-V ... 6080250114
Don't remember much, except that it was a fairly small park, without donkeys :wink:

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Guys-Great new-The park wrote me back and they can sell me the "yellow green" color key. They apparenly only have one color at a time. I had to buy 5, so if you get there and they have something else, I will now be in a position to TRADE! :)
:mrgreen:

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

I may have some of those lodged into the corners of my house, if I ever come across any I know where to come!

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:49 pm
Mini Boss

Hey Missy, great project.
I use to live right across the street from Fairyland. My apartment window looked right down on it. :)

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:39 am
Side Dealer

^^^It's a shame we can't rent a kid from you! :lol:

Missy, please keep us updated! Thanks too, for the link to the Wild West City theme park, looks like fun. I really missed the old Frontier Village in San Jose. I also remembered that they had an artificial "pond", that they would stock to over flowing with live trout. You could bait a hook and catch trout within minutes, and they charged you by the pound. I was fascinated by "live wiggling food" when I was a wee gal. Brought new meaning to fish dinners, when I got to help my Mom prepare the trout for dinner :P

P.S. If you have anything you're interested in trading for one of the keys, please let me know! :wink:

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:55 am
Fresh Meat

Missy, I can help you if you want. We have a yearly pass & my daughter loves Fairyland. We go there frequently. Don't worry, I won't customize if for you, hardeehar.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

So cool that they let you buy some keys from afar. I'll be on the lookout for these and the elephant ones, too, when I hit flea markets. I know I've seen the elephant keys at flea markets before.

I wonder when they instituted the "no adults without children" rule. A friend and I visited Children's Fairyland in the early 90's. We were in our 20's then.

I went to Frontier Village when I was very young. I actually don't remember it much, but I've seen the photos of our visit. My brother and I wearing cheap kiddie cowboy hats and vests. Fun stuff. I'd almost forgotten about that place.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:51 pm
Post Pimp

zutphen wrote:
Missy, I can help you if you want. We have a yearly pass & my daughter loves Fairyland. We go there frequently. Don't worry, I won't customize if for you, hardeehar.

Thank you! I'll reach out! :)

il_muffino wrote:
So cool that they let you buy some keys from afar. I'll be on the lookout for these and the elephant ones, too, when I hit flea markets. I know I've seen the elephant keys at flea markets before. .

Awesome! Yeah-I had to buy some other gift shop stuff to justify them shipping keys, and call and talk to 2 people (including the gift shop manager), so it wasn't exactly easy, but it looks like they are on their way to me now! WOOHOO.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Guys! GOOD MAIL DAY!!!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Great stuff there Missy! Love the seal sticker too :P Thanks for sharing the photos! :)

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:45 pm
Addicted

Totally cool! What a fun thing to collect. Growing up in Southern New Jersey, I always wanted one of those keys to unlock the crackling sounds of the boxes in the Philadelphia Zoo. That childhood dream never happened for me, but I still think these keys are such great collectibles. Nice score from Oakland!

I WANT BADLY!

MY TRADE BAIT

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Sokko wrote:
Totally cool! What a fun thing to collect. Growing up in Southern New Jersey, I always wanted one of those keys to unlock the crackling sounds of the boxes in the Philadelphia Zoo. That childhood dream never happened for me, but I still think these keys are such great collectibles. Nice score from Oakland!

Hey! Whereabouts? I live in Southern NJ now :) Zoo Keys were gone by the time I moved to Philly in 2002, but we do have one in the house anyway! I would also HAPPILY gather up some of those ;)

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Slow and steady, slow and steady...

Fri May 29, 2015 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Storyland in Fresno is set to open again in September... It used similar keys if not the same (been years and years since i went) but i will look for you once the park is opened again as i'll be sharing memories of this park with my daughter.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:15 pm
Post Pimp

Slowly it grows!

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Now that its Spring, let me know if you and your little ones are heading out to the Fairyland! :) This is the hardest thing I've ever collected. LOL

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

missy wrote:
Now that its Spring, let me know if you and your little ones are heading out to the Fairyland! :) This is the hardest thing I've ever collected. LOL

I might have a Blue key in my old toy drawer somewhere, i *distinctly* remember stashing it there about a million years ago as a kid... Will check!

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:23 pm
Post Pimp

wheatpond wrote:
missy wrote:

I might have a Blue key in my old toy drawer somewhere, i *distinctly* remember stashing it there about a million years ago as a kid... Will check!

I come here so sporadically I missed this. PM me if you managed to find it and are willing to part with it wheatpond ! :)

Wed May 18, 2016 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

My little collection has continued to growwww! here it is now:

The ones up top are for trades if anyone wants to swap with me!

Wed May 18, 2016 6:41 am
Profile WWW