ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:24 am

Old School Anime!! 
Side Dealer

Post Re: Old School Anime!!
liquidsky wrote:
Are the two box sets the Ultra Collectors Editions?

A while back, I was browsing Astroboy on DVD and saw complete sets and ultra editions.
Seemed redundant so what am I missing?

What does the ultra editions offer over the earlier collections?

Yes that's the set I'm talking about. It comes in two box sets 1 and 2, box 1 has ep 1-52 and box 2 has ep 53-104. There's a box two selling on the bay right now for $96.98 by a seller named MOVIEMARZ. Most of the other cheaper Astroboy DVD offered there are for the re-make version that came from the 80's or 90's, I have those too and they're not bad.
From what I know about this boxed set is that it was remastered from the original film from private collections and that it even has episodes that didn't air on TV.

Looking for...viewtopic.php?f=26&t=34235&p=891489#p891489

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

Even though I watched Speed Racer as a kid I don't think I'll re-watch it anytinme soon ... Spritle and chim-chim always gave me the shits then & I can't see that changing now.

Still like Gigantor, Astro Boy and Prince Planet though ... great designs in these shows. Recenly also got the Kimba box set & it's not bad ... although that could just be nostalgia working.

The one's I'd like to see again, but are hard to get, are Golden Bat, 8th Man and Amazing 3 (Wonder 3) ... seems to be impossible to find these series any where.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:32 am
Post Pimp

Speed Racer is still dope...even more so now that I'm off the wagon! :wink:

Going back over this thread is kinda funny--I still haven't picked up GoLion on DVD. And did Dairugger XV ever come out? The huge Matchbox combiner is still one of my favorite toys of all time...

I'd love to see Ogon Bat...but I just wish the classic 70's Go Nagai (and others) super robot stuff got subbed...in their entirety...

blog

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Once a Speed Racer fan, always a fan.

You guys are a bunch of lightweights. I sit around on Saturday nights manually rewinding old VHS and BetaMAX cassette tapes so they don't snap.

The stuff is timeless. Check out "Zillion"

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Quote:
mirrorman

The one's I'd like to see again, but are hard to get, are Golden Bat, 8th Man and Amazing 3 (Wonder 3) ... seems to be impossible to find these series any where.

Amazing Three is my all time fave!!! Used to watch it on Channel O (now 10) here in Melbourne. Only a few of the english dubbed episodes are known to exist, and of course it has been released on DVD in Japan (original title: Wonder 3)

Oh, and welcome to the SB forum, Mirrorman!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

spacemonkey66 wrote:
Quote:
mirrorman

Amazing Three is my all time fave!!! Used to watch it on Channel O (now 10) here in Melbourne. Only a few of the english dubbed episodes are known to exist, and of course it has been released on DVD in Japan (original title: Wonder 3)

Oh, and welcome to the SB forum, Mirrorman!

Thanks for the welcome Spacemonkey66. I used to watch A3 on Channel O too .... & have to agree with you about it being an all time fav. :)

I have some really bad eps of A3 on a video somewhere, I have to go searching for them again, these are probably the same rare dubbed eps you mentioned.

Thought I'd bore everyone, but you am me Spacemonkey, and put up some images of Amazing 3 (Wonder 3) .... :wink:

The famous Amazing 3 wheel:

Bonnie Bunny & Kenny:

Bonnie, Zero & Reggie in their original alien form:

The bext 3 are Bonnie, Zero & Reggie in the animal form they took when arriving on Earth:

And now for the theme song ... all together now

Spaceman with a mission, you must make a very big decision, with your solar bomb you could destroy us ... or save the world ... or save the world.
:D

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:12 pm
Toy Prince

Quote:
mirrorman

Thanks for the welcome Spacemonkey66. I used to watch A3 on Channel O too .... & have to agree with you about it being an all time fav.

I have some really bad eps of A3 on a video somewhere, I have to go searching for them again, these are probably the same rare dubbed eps you mentioned.

Thought I'd bore everyone, but you am me Spacemonkey, and put up some images of Amazing 3 (Wonder 3) ....

And now for the theme song ... all together now

Spaceman with a mission, you must make a very big decision, with your solar bomb you could destroy us ... or save the world ... or save the world.

There is something very magical about this particular Tezuka production.

Someone needs to make figures of all these characters! Only one I could find is Bonnie Bunny shown here with my very small Amazing Three collection... (the purses are cool - they have a little metal Bonnie Bunny attached by a chain)

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

I would love to see some Ogon Bat too (even the live action version if I didn't have to pay through the roof for it). Does anyone know of good links where to buy some other 80s anime? Some sets I have seen released, but they are mainly through France or Spain (no eng subs), and even then hard to get a hold of and pricey. I guess they have finally added Cite d'Or on Netflix after it took so long for a DVD release, but until they get decent service in Canada, I'll still be waiting.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:41 pm
Toy Prince

Three words: Space Adventure Cobra.

http://hungoverandunder.buzznet.com/user/video/1470361/

This show is amazing. Incredible, consistent fluidity of animation. Roguish, charming protagonist. Bikini alien ladies. Great colors, designs, and optical effects. Fun music. If you haven't seen it, give it a try!

Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Materialist Zen wrote:

You guys are a bunch of lightweights. I sit around on Saturday nights manually rewinding old VHS and BetaMAX cassette tapes so they don't snap.

That is kind of amazing.

Wed May 18, 2011 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

spacemonkey66 wrote:
Someone needs to make figures of all these characters! Only one I could find is Bonnie Bunny shown here with my very small Amazing Three collection... (the purses are cool - they have a little metal Bonnie Bunny attached by a chain)

Demboku maybe? I believe they made a Bonnie Bunny at least...

Mon May 23, 2011 3:10 pm
Post Pimp

Demboku is great! I'd love to see more of it here. I believe I've seen Bonnie as well.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:43 pm
Side Dealer

Monkey wrote:

Shit you liked as a kid normally doesn't make any sense when you watch when your older.

I grew up watching starvengers and recently found the series it was adapted from (getter robo g). strangely enough, I am enjoying it more than the original. I also loved grendizer but I am afraid that it won't hold up as well as starvengers after 20+ episodes.

phantomfauna wrote:
No...that's not all I got. Eat a three inch dick footlong you prick.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:38 pm
Post Pimp

Nah, man, Grandizer's the shit! I mean, let's face it: ALL the Force Five shows are pretty painful to watch... :P

But you're right: I'd kill to have the entire original Getter Robo G, Danguard Ace, Grendizer, and Gaiking series in Japanese audio with English subs.

I used to love the Vehicle Voltron cartoon (yeah, I was *that* kid!), and if you watch it again, it actually holds up pretty well: there's a continuity plot with a decent amount of political intrigue. I just picked up the uncensored DVDs of the original Dairugger XV show with English subs, so I'm looking forward to checking it out...

blog

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Sanjeev wrote:
there's a continuity plot with a decent amount of political intrigue. I just picked up the uncensored DVDs of the original Dairugger XV show with English subs, so I'm looking forward to checking it out...

brace yourself for some uncensored politics!

phantomfauna wrote:
No...that's not all I got. Eat a three inch dick footlong you prick.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:47 am
Toy Prince

Space Firebird 2772
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlc70ihusac

A great film in Tezuka's massive library of insane productivity. A little boy is raised in space by my favorite anime robot lady of all time. His life, it turns out, is geared toward a sinister purpose that clashes with his conscience. Not exactly a great dub, but charming in an odd way. It reminds me of the way that old Scandinavian fantasy films got dubbed.

Legend of Sirius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QceQqiAHR80

This one is a true masterpiece. It's one of Sanrio's old films. When they started making big profits with their character stationary, they started up a truly badass animation outfit. This is a Shakespearean love story with fairies and sea creatures and a remarkable score by Koichi Sugiyama (dragon quest, Ideon: Be Invoked, etc.).

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:40 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Somewhere on an old external firewire drive I have a crap load of nice quality Ogon Bat anime.
I can't recall if it's in Japanese or Italian or if it's even subtitled, but once I get a 400 to 800 firewire adapter,
I'll check'em out and figure out a way to share them with folks here.

I know I also have an english subtitled "Golden Bat" with Sonny Chiba as an avi file as well.
Quality is good enough to even stream to your tv.

flickr

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Grumpy™

Hmm I wonder how Star Blazers would hold up if I were to watch it today? I use to race home from school to watch it!

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 am
Profile WWW