ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:18 am

Jumbo Machinder - Villain Projectiles 
Toy Prince

Post Jumbo Machinder - Villain Projectiles
I posted this elsewhere, thought I'd share here for any jumbo fans or collectors.

Yesterday I was excited to receive my second Jumbo Machinder villain, a personal favorite, the Taihou Buffalo. Strangely enough, almost more exciting than the villain itself was a chance to see for the first time the original ball projectiles that were accompanied with the figure. Little did I know they were actually embossed with images of a Scorpion and a Spider. I have yet to find any significance behind the spider, if the same projectiles came with the other villains and if the spider may play a role elsewhere, but it would seem the image of the scorpion plays a vital role in the Kamen Rider series. Now, I am not very knowledgeable in the series, so please correct me if I am wrong, but according to the information I've read, the scorpion is a recurring symbol throughout the series, typically a mark of the enemy organization.

Source: http://www.japan-legend.com/wiki/index. ... n_Rider_V3

I was able to acquire the figure with two of the three original projectiles (I believe a red variation was a part of the original package). So, perhaps for the first time ever, following pictures of my latest acquisition, a detailed view of the original Jumbo Machinder villain projectiles. Enjoy!

Taihou Buffalo by H. B. Coffin, on Flickr

Arrival: 11.29.12 by H. B. Coffin, on Flickr

Taihou Buffalo - Ball Projectiles.01 by H. B. Coffin, on Flickr

Taihou Buffalo - Ball Projectiles.02 by H. B. Coffin, on Flickr

Wanted:
RESTORE - IRON MEAT, Ultra Series sofubi, Gold Satan

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Post Re: Jumbo Machinder - Villain Projectiles
this is really cool- thanks for all the pictures. cant really help you with the spider and scorpion deal- in other kamen rider series they always wear the insignias of the leaders, so maybe this guy was on a scorpion and spider kajin team! haha. the projectiles look really nice regardless

congratulations on a really cool pick up

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:15 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Very cool that they put so much detail into the projectiles! Taihou Buffalo rocks

John - STFU and go play with your Bearbricks!

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:47 am
Post Pimp

Totally forgot to reply when I first saw this thread...

Anyway, none of my friends who have a Taiho Buffalo actually have the original balls, so this is a pretty killer find. Congrats!

blog

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

Just wow. Such an awesome find. Rare enough alone, and I also have never seen the projectiles before. Now I kinda wonder what insect the red ball had on it :)

flickr part [2] part [3]

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm
Toy Prince

Thanks guys! I'm more than happy to share the photos. This was the first time I'd ever seen the projectiles up close. I had only seen a tiny glimpse previously in a small photograph of a boxed specimen years ago.

The projectiles are actually the same-one side is embossed with the Scorpion and the Spider on the reverse side.

The Taihou Buffalo was an instant favorite for me. I live a vegetarian lifestyle, so I find the idea of a cow with guns humorous. I also really dig the Kamen Rider villains as they are more in line aesthetically with the rest of my collection.

I had done a little more reading on the scorpion and had a friend share some information with me on the matter:

The scorpion was the symbol used by the evil organization, Destron, in the series Kamen Rider V3, where the villains produced for the Jumbo Machinder line were featured (Hasami Jaguar, Kame Bazooka, Lenzari, and Taihou Buffalo). You can also see the scorpion motif featured on the belt of Hasami Jaguar and Kame Bazooka.

Wanted:

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

I don't know how I missed this, but congrats on the Buffalo. And thanks for sharing the photos.
So what's with the greyish areas? Is it rubbed paint?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:54 pm
Comment King

congrats HBCoffin, it looks amazing!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Thanks guys! He's still my favorite find as of yet and will be hard to top for a long time. I still need to get some shots of the Gordian I picked up over the holidays. Between these two Jumbos I've been spent on collecting for the past five months. They really take a hit to your bank. :oops:

Axolotl wrote:
I don't know how I missed this, but congrats on the Buffalo. And thanks for sharing the photos.
So what's with the greyish areas? Is it rubbed paint?

The way the paint has faded, it almost looks like a rub, even goes well with the overall look of the figure-makes the armor look more rustic. Unfortunately I don't think that was the original condition/intention, just a result of aging. I've definitely seen some cleaner specimens, but of all the paint used on the figures, the silver spray seems to be what fades. I assume it was the chemical compound of the paint they were using, just wasn't made to last against wear and tear.

Wanted:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Oh wow...you scored a Gordian??? I'd love to see shots of that!

Congrats. I know that's a pretty rare Jumbo!

blog

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

Yes, we definitely need more jumbo pics around this place. Might as well grab some pics of the collection too while you have your camera out. :)

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 am