ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Resin Heads have a home of their own.
Post a reply

Resin toys by Zack Soto

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to share some stuff I've been working on. I hesitate to post these here because I know I don't have a huge post count or whatever, but I spend so much time on here lurking & reading the back posts & soaking up as much information as possible, it almost feels weird not to at least throw these up and say "hey I did these." Hope you like them.

So anyhow, I do a comic called the Secret Voice, and decided that for my first resin casting project, I'd make a troll from my comic. I made up a body & multiple heads & arms so I could make a bunch of varieties of Troll, and started casting them.
Easter Trolls! by zacksoto, on Flickr

I tend to jump feet first into stuff & it was probably a bigger project than I should have started with! I realized that after I saw just how much silicone making these molds was taking. I also got a little stumped about exactly how to finish them once I was getting my first pulls. So I went off for a bit and made a mini sized sculpt that would be easy to wrap my head around:
In Progressin by zacksoto, on Flickr
STAGE 2: paint layer 1 by zacksoto, on Flickr

These little guys were fun to make and have their own back story which you can read a comic version of here. I've got some designs for more mini figures I want to make too.

After I'd made some of those Ghost Grunts, I went back and finished off my first Troll. I'm pretty happy with how everything came out. Painted with Montana Matte spray & Cel-Vinyl paints. The head and one arm are articulated with magnets. He's 6" tall & about 5.5" wide.
TROLL 01 by zacksoto, on Flickr
TROLL 01 - chopper by zacksoto, on Flickr

I definitely learned a lot from making these and obviously I'm still learning. Excited about my next sculpts but also trying to take a bit more time before committing to a mold. I've also got some Homebrew paints coming so I'll be trying out my airbrush on the next few.
Last edited by Ghost Attack on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: two sculpts by Ghost Attack

Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Great job! For your first time they look awesome. I like all of them, but i really like the troll. I like the crazy big arms. How are the arms and head connected to the body?

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks! The head & arm are secured w/ rare earth magnets, and the big cyber arm is affixed with epoxy.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Pretty cool stuff. Always interesting to see how someones 2D art translates over to an actual sculpt.

Any plans for making a "spit golem"? I could see myself trying to snag one of those if it matches the art.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:50 pm

yeah, these looking really good for your first castings.

i'm wondering what pigments you are dying the resin with, since the colors don't look at all like standard pigments...?

nice work!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:50 am

Those trolls are awesome!
I'm looking forward to checking out your comic, too. It looks to be right up my alley. :D

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:04 am

These look really neat man. reminds me of something... not sure what. Love your artwork too, killer style!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks all for the kind words.

atom gray wrote:i'm wondering what pigments you are dying the resin with, since the colors don't look at all like standard pigments...?

I picked up a sample pack of IGNITE pigments and think they're pretty cool. I don't use a whole lot in each pull, b/c I sort of like more translucent colors. With some of them I was also trying to mimic some swirly stuff like Healey Made does to much better effect. I still haven't gotten that down right yet. The milky purple-y body and heads turned out that way because I didn't properly mix the resin, I think? Filed under "happy accidents."

Waterbear wrote:Any plans for making a "spit golem"? I could see myself trying to snag one of those if it matches the art.

Good idea, I didn't even think of that! My next full sized figure I'm working on is a Dr. Galapagos to go with the Trolls, and I have another mini figure I'm working on (this guy) that goes with the storyline of the Ghost Grunts, and then I might try my hand at a Spit Golem.. hm!

anyways, thanks again for all the rad vibez, I'll post more when I have more.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:18 pm

here's some new guys:
Ghost Grunts round 2 by zacksoto, on Flickr
Ghost Grunts round 2 by zacksoto, on Flickr
Elemental Trolls by zacksoto, on Flickr
Slime Troll by zacksoto, on Flickr
All of them have some Homebrew paint on them but I covered up a lot of it with Cel-Vinyl, so..
many more in that Flickr set, from different angles, etc.
Ghost Grunts #spx2013 releases by zacksoto, on Flickr
If you're going to the Small Press Expo in Bethesda this weekend, I will be there with all these guys and a ton of comics & art. Come say hi.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:41 pm

They are COOL man!

Re: Resin toys by Zack Soto

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:00 pm

some new Trolls & Ghost Grunts up on the site. Lots more photos on the flickr.
Mean Green/Annihilus Troll by zacksoto, on Flickr
Southwestern Cyber Troll by zacksoto, on Flickr
Ghost Grunt NYCC Group Shot 2/2 by zacksoto, on Flickr

Re: Resin toys by Zack Soto

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:43 am

Not exactly my cup of tea, but that gif is awesome! :lol:
Post a reply