ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 1:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Please tell me your watching Italy Vs USA?!?! 
S7 Royalty

Now THAT was a good game! I'm out of breath just watching.
Japan played well but blew their best chances (as usual).
Man of the Match for me had to be the Croatian coach though...
Very dapper!
8)

haha!

The japanese keeper played a blinder - apart from missing the ball when it bounced up. Nearly a :oops: moment.

Next up Brazil vs Australia. Looking for a 4-0 result for Brazil

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:31 am
S7 Royalty

"The sport is known by many names throughout the English-speaking world. "Soccer" is used by the largest number of native English speakers, although "football" is perhaps the most widely used. Other names, such as association football and soccer, are often used to distinguish the game from other codes of football, since the word football may refer to several quite different games."

Key word there. As it totally wipes out South America, Asia and 99% of Europe. Since the US and Australia call it Soccer then its going to be more widely used than Football.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:33 am
Addicted

"Soccer" is used by the largest number of native English speakers, although "football" is perhaps the most widely used.

Sorry geo , but some of us speak more than just one language.....and football is used more than soccer......regardless of what you and the rest of sams army think....

yes, toys are how I make my living, and this is the #1 meeting place for people that buy certain of those lines of toys.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:06 am
S7 Royalty

Brazil just scored. Australia have looked pretty good so its maybe an unfair score at the moment.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:11 am
Line of Credit

geo wrote:
"Soccer" is used by the largest number of native English speakers, although "football" is perhaps the most widely used.

Sorry geo , but some of us speak more than just one language.....and football is used more than soccer......regardless of what you and the rest of sams army think....

That wasn't my statement. I was just quoting from Wikipedia "for what it was worth" which may be nothing. I don't know, but suspect that more people refer to it as futbol than soccer... woudn't be surprised at all.

I am not part of any army either, thankfully.

I do think, however, that it is downright silly to worry about what the game is called or how anyone refers to it, no matter how big a fan of the game someone thinks they are.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:27 am
S7 Royalty

alright then, now i'm off to watch some Rounders. Sorry baseball. :oops:

Anyway, next up is France vs South Korea. Will France bottle it again? Will Zidane actually pass to Henry or will Park score a wonder goal that we all know he can.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:40 am
Line of Credit

Yeah, accidents happen. Just cuz there's blood doesn't prove anything. This ref was carding people when all he saw was that someone had fallen down.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:47 am
S7 Royalty

Did you not see him look as to where mcbride was? when you jump for the ball you don't need to swing your arm sideways :?

Theres calls over here for him to have his ban extended to 5 games for serious foul play.

You do know elbowing is not allowed?

...and the ref was right there looking straight at it :shock:

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:54 am
Line of Credit

Just anti-american sentiment that is sweeping the universe cuz of George Bush and his henchmen. :)

Where did the word "soccer" come from anyway?

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:16 pm
S7 Royalty

Just anti-american sentiment that is sweeping the universe cuz of George Bush and his henchmen. :)

huh!

anyway, back to the footie - should be 2 - 0 France as that ball crossed the line.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:33 pm
Line of Credit

Looked like it. Wish they had a better angle on the camera. I like the idea of a chip (maybe).

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:34 pm
S7 Royalty

I like the idea of a chip (maybe).

Agree there, wouldn't be that hard to initiate surely? There was quite a few in the Premiership that were like that, so Sky (the TV that shows it) put a camera straight down the line so you could see for definate if it crossed the line.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:37 pm
Addicted

I played this sport competitively through high school. Despite playing for teams with names ending in F.C. (football club), everyone I knew and met called the sport soccer. Of course, it makes more sense to call the sport football, but in the United States, people genearlly call the sport soccer. If you want to blame someone or something, blame American football. Why is American football called football anyway?

Side note - I've actually played against Beasley a number of times when he was on the Fort Wayne Citadel, and I wasn't that impressed. There were other players on his team that seemed to be better players. Of course, he was "playing up." He was younger than his teammates.

Last edited by Ghostbuster on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:13 pm
Line of Credit

I played this sport competitively through high school (side note...I've actually played against Beasley a number of times, and I thought other people on his Fort Wayne team were better!). Despite playing for teams with names ending in F.C. (football club), everyone I knew and met called the sport soccer. Of course, it makes more sense to call the sport football, but in the United States, people genearlly call the sport soccer. If you want to blame someone or something, blame American football. Why is American football called football anyway?

I think American football is called football because it was a mutation of English rugby football. But I ain't sure.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:16 pm
Die-Cast

Why do we say "Germany" when they call it "Deutchland"?
Why do we say "Japan" when they call it "Nippon"?
Why do we say "Iceland" when it's Green?
Why do we say "Greenland" when it's Icy?

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:19 pm
Addicted

Oh. Well, I think the people naming the sport should have been a bit more creative...and descriptive. Football doesn't seem like a good fit to me.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:20 pm
Die-Cast

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:22 pm
Super Deformed

Oh. Well, I think the people naming the sport should have been a bit more creative...and descriptive. Football doesn't seem like a good fit to me.

Yeah because all you use are your feet or foot and a ball. Unless you're talking American football 'cause that makes sense.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:37 pm
S7 Royalty

you kick a ball with your foot 8)

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:37 pm
S7 Royalty

Why do we say "Germany" when they call it "Deutchland"?
Why do we say "Japan" when they call it "Nippon"?

You know i've often wonder why each country has there own names for other countries. Yet each city is called that name universally.

Germany - Deutchland
Berlin - Berlin

:?

AND SOUTH KOREA HAVE SCORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:39 pm
Line of Credit

Ok... who can justify the yellow card that Zidane from France just got? I don't see it!!! BS

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:46 pm
S7 Royalty

Me neither. He'll miss the last game too, and if the Swiss Togo game go in the Swiss' favour France could be out and this will be his last game for France. :cry:

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:50 pm
Super Deformed

Me neither. He'll miss the last game too, and if the Swiss Togo game go in the Swiss' favour France could be out and this will be his last game for France. :cry:

That sucks, heartless refs. I know the rules are rules, but you hafta take that shit in consideration or at least get the call right.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:44 pm
Addicted

I do think, however, that it is downright silly to worry about what the game is called or how anyone refers to it, no matter how big a fan of the game someone thinks they are.

It is silly to argue over what the game is called or how anyone refers to it...Its even more silly to let us all in on the definition of Futbol .... when most people have a basic rudimentary understanding of the game....Anyways I gotta go now and get something to eat....since it is night time ,for what its worth..... the meal I will be eating is called dinner... :P

yes, toys are how I make my living, and this is the #1 meeting place for people that buy certain of those lines of toys.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:11 pm
Super Deformed

All I know is I used to work with some Chilean friends in High School and during the World Cup nothing else exsisted. They'd sent me to the store to get steaks and we'd 'que everyday. Took orders, but didn't do a stitch of work until it was over. Good Time's fo' sho' :D

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next