ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Books 
Line of Credit

Post Re: Books
I recently started reading China Mieville. Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and now Iron Council. I really enjoy how he captures that sense of horror of forces operating on a scale that renders an individual human totally insignificant. Every bit as good as Lovecraft. The Scar has probably been my favorite of the three books.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:45 am
Addicted

http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=45973

TRADES
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46549

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

Joe Golem and the Drowning City by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden

After a vague catastrophe has befallen New York ( and presumably everywhere else...) the city has sunken partially into the ocean. In the story, we follow a fourteen year old girl named Molly, who has befriended an elderly magician named Felix ( or stage name Orlov The Conjuror if you prefer ) We quickly learn that Felix might have much more to him than his sleight of hand magic tricks, putting Molly and himself in great danger in the post apocalyptic setting. Mignola and Golden have crafted a well paced exciting tale here, including a bit of horror, sci-fi, and adventure, sprinkled with a bit of occult and steampunk. What makes it even better is the illustrations peppered throughout the book from Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:12 pm
Line of Credit

Ive been reading murakami a lot lately, anyways after I raved to a friend how much I enjoyed "A heartbreaking work..." she suggested reading Infinite Jest, I had read consider the lobster, which is very fun, but Infinite Jest has some pages that I cant get past without a dictionary, hahaha. Im liking it a lot, even if its so much work.

Anyone here can recommend any more magical realism? Non-latin american authors, Ive exhausted those. hahaha, thanks!

flickr
Wanted Thread

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 pm
Post Pimp

Ana Blandiana
gatiio wrote:
Anyone here can recommend any more magical realism? Non-latin american authors, Ive exhausted those. hahaha, thanks!

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:36 pm
Line of Credit

Current rotation:

Cloud Atlas: Being in film I am sure nothing needs to be said.

The Rise of theodore Roosevelt: Sometimes I real hoot. Often tedious. I doubt we will ever have such a real man as President again.

Noam Chomsky Making The Future: Are there any leaders in the world that arent total a-holes?

Looking for suggestions on main land China authors. Life in current motion. Or Phillipino scifi.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

I just finished Snow Crash (again). This book just amazes me every time. Stephenson was/is way ahead of his time!
Oh, and just naming his main character Hiro Protagonist puts this book in the top ten. Yes, also in your top ten, like it or not :wink: .

Started Game Of Thrones and cannot put it aside.

Oh, and I bought Palahniuk's new one, Damned. I have not started yet as I was so disappointed by his last two books . . . but it sounds so promising. Has anyone read it yet?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 am
Line of Credit

Axolotl wrote:
Ana Blandiana
gatiio wrote:

Thanks! I did a quick search here at work and only poetry pops up.

Im reading the big sleep again, such a fun book.

flickr
Wanted Thread

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 am
Toy Prince

Here are the books I've finished reading, both good and bad, per month. "Tales From Watership Down", "Don Quixote", "Somebody Owes Me Money", and a bio about Hedy Lamarr are in the current rotation but knowing me, I'll end up reading something else.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:36 pm
Post Pimp

Really? I have an antology of her short stories in Spanish. May be they're not available in the languages you're looking for?
Mmmm... How about Amelie Nothomb?

gatiio wrote:
Axolotl wrote:
Ana Blandiana
gatiio wrote:

Thanks! I did a quick search here at work and only poetry pops up.

Im reading the big sleep again, such a fun book.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:41 pm
Line of Credit

Shoot me the name of her anthology in spanish, Ill try that route. Thanks!

Also, thanks for the Amelie Nothomb recomendation!

flickr
Wanted Thread

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 pm
Team Tsubu

I'm reading, mostly on the can, a translation of this rather thick collection of Italian folktales that were collected and retold by Italo Calvino. The stories are soothingly repetitive, consistently odd, and frequently jarring as hell.

Here's a few paragraphs that I haven't read yet about it from Ursula K. Le Guin: https://newrepublic.com/article/114763/ ... lo-calvino

What's everyone else reading?

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5