ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:50 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 comics? 
Toy Prince

Post Re: comics?
[quote="Ghost Attack"]
This looks great I shall Buy one.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

Just finished Head Lopper #3, anyone else giving this a read?

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:39 pm
Mini Boss

Head Lopper is my number one read right now. The drawing by MacLean is some of the best out there. I didn't discover HL until issue #2 was released and it took me forever to find issue #1. So excited about today's issue #3 release. Can't get enough of this book.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:36 pm
S7 Royalty

That book kicks ass!! The only thing that could make it better is that James Stokoe cover for issue three! :D

eckotyper wrote:
$30 overdraft is better than flipper prices!

Twitter: Toysaresanity
Wants:http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38807

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

Yessss I knew there would be some fellow HL fans on here, #3 was sooo good, I can't get enough of this book I do not want it to end, and completely agree coma21!! I searched everywhere for that cover and didn't get so lucky, might have to evil bay it :?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:08 pm
Mini Boss

i've been following headlopper's artist on the ol' instagrams, and love his stuff, but have yet to pick up an issue. gotta get on that!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Anyone know if The Walking Dead comic is still worth reading?
I read the first two compilations (the reaaaaally big books) and liked it, but then when the show started deviating way off I got pissed off and stopped watching.
Then I just sort of forgot about the comics too. :?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

I just finished reading the new Dan Clowes book 'Patience'.

I've been a fan a long time so i'm biased but I really liked it. He never lets me down. The time travelling was never over explained, which i liked. Its integral to the story, not just a gimmick.

He's still playing with the medium too, which is always good to see in such a seasoned cartoonist. Not getting stale or predictable . . . .

I love mankind, it's people I can't stand - Charles M. Schulz

blingaling wrote:
I'm still in the "everything is shiny and I want it all" phase

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:25 am
S7 Royalty

The Moog wrote:
I just finished reading the new Dan Clowes book 'Patience'.
I've been a fan a long time so i'm biased but I really liked it. He never lets me down

Same here : ) Found the foul language an interesting part of the story too.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:14 am
Super Deformed

Haha, yeah. Her sister was certainly really foul mouthed . . . .

Clowes has always been great with dialogue. That's a rare talent, reminds me of Bukowski. Unvarnished reality . . . .

blingaling wrote:

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:18 am
Die-Cast

Patiently waiting for July . . .

After almost 40 years and the introduction of updated copyright vs 'parody' laws it can finally be reproduced in its entirety!

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:38 am
Super Deformed

Oh shit, thanks for the heads-up.

I've ridiculously hoped of coming across those actual progs in a stack somewhere but of course, it never happened.

Now I can buy a nice newly published edition. I've seen the offending pages online but having actual print will be cool. Its not my favorite Dredd epic but its certainly up there with the best.

Sweet.

blingaling wrote:

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:59 pm
Toy Prince

Giantkiller Has anyone else read this comic by Dan Brereton? It's pretty epic and got all kinds of them Kaijus. Painted in opaque watercolor! Shoot... IDW just came out with a Reprint. I highly recommend this book.

Copra by Michael Fiffe is incredible.

So is Cankor by Matthew Allison.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

3wing wrote:
Giantkiller Has anyone else read this comic by Dan Brereton? It's pretty epic and got all kinds of them Kaijus. Painted in opaque watercolor! Shoot... IDW just came out with a Reprint. I highly recommend this book.

It's funny, I thought I was complete on Brereton's trades but this don't ring a bell.
When IDW's comes out, I'll drone me one, for the moment, I'm just seeing a old 2006 Image print.

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:58 am
Toy Prince

Stoked about the Cursed Earth reprint, wasn't aware of that till now. Love me some Dredd

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

nefasth wrote:
3wing wrote:

It's funny, I thought I was complete on Brereton's trades but this don't ring a bell.
When IDW's comes out, I'll drone me one, for the moment, I'm just seeing a old 2006 Image print.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/158240539 ... ref=plSrch

Ok, so the floppies I had came out on DC comics in 1999. It was reprinted on image, not IDW.
I was wrong, my bad.

;)

Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

Just finished Patience as well. Was looking fwd to in a major way, and it did not disappoint. He definitely tried some new things in this one, with great success. I have followed Clowes since his start in Cracked under the pen name "Stosh Gillespie"... he's been an art constant in my life since about 1984!

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:27 pm
Toy Prince

ungawa222 wrote:
Just finished Patience as well. Was looking fwd to in a major way, and it did not disappoint. He definitely tried some new things in this one, with great success. I have followed Clowes since his start in Cracked under the pen name "Stosh Gillespie"... he's been an art constant in my life since about 1984!

Almost picked up a copy from the Fantagraphics booth at Dink this weekend. It looks amazing.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

Received this Rodan manga a few weeks ago. October 1956 issue. This manga pre-dates the film which was released on December 25, 1956.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:36 am
Super Deformed

3wing wrote:
ungawa222 wrote:

Almost picked up a copy from the Fantagraphics booth at Dink this weekend. It looks amazing.

I got into Clowes when he collected 'Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron' as a paperback. I'd never heard
of Eightball, so i grabbed a few copies. They were hard to come by in the UK at the time. I then bought
'The Manly World of Lloyd Llewellyn' hardback and i've never looked back.

I've always gone for the collections like 'Lout Rampage!' because I've always preferred buying collected
books rather than single issue comics. I think i've only got around 6 of the actual eightball.

I was thinking of buying the new hardback eightball collection but i think i might have most of it already
in all the anthologies, so it seems like a bit of an extravagance . . . . its tempting, though. It looks lovingly
produced.

blingaling wrote:

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:53 am
Toy Prince

The Moog wrote:
I've always gone for the collections like 'Lout Rampage!' because I've always preferred buying collected
books rather than single issue comics.

This is the case with me as well. I do buy floppies, but don't get to reading them very quickly. I'm thinking about dropping most of the tiles I buy in order to go with the cheaper, easier way to read- TPB and or Comps.
I cant help but support the local and indy stuff at cons buy collecting one offs and zines.

I will see if my friend will let me borrow Patience.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

Damn, I totally missed that superb Rodan manga when you posted in earlier Anthony. What a stunning book that is! Fantastic classic manga artwork, what a nice purchase.

I thought a few people here might be interested in this. Comixology has just launched an unlimited access subscription service [not unlike Marvel Unlimited] to a back catalog of excellent comics. For anyone who is not just into the superhero-in-tights variety (although there is some of that stuff too!), there is some amazing comics to browse through, with publishers including Dark Horse, IDW, Boom!, and Image. Just some of the amazing titles I would highlight include Incal, Godzilla, Aliens, Lone Wolf and Cub, Walking Dead, Usagi Yojimbo, Peanuts, Attack on Titan, and many many more. Something for nearly everybody, really.

https://www.comixology.com/unlimited

I haven't signed up, or gone through the specific titles yet, so I can't say how many issues are yet available, or until how recently they become accessible, but damn, it does seem like a hell of a lot of access for a flat 6$/month. For anyone who enjoys reading through comics on modern devices, or doesn't mind just browsing stuff and not necessarily having a hardcopy, this seems pretty ideal.

A bit more info.

In reading this, I also learned of another similar service, which a lot of people might have access to through local libraries. It offers some similar selection, plus some additional DC/Dark Horse stuff, and popular titles like Preacher, Sandman, Saga, etc., and Disney stuff for the wee ones. Considering this is a completely free service, it is excellent. There is a restriction on a limited number of monthly 'borrows' (which I think is 15), but wow. Support your local library people!!! :)

https://www.hoopladigital.com/browse/comic#featured

Get on it comic nerds!!

* Note: I have no dog in this race, and get no funding or cut from these services, just trying to share and inform.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Wed May 25, 2016 3:15 am
Toy Prince

One of the comics i own. Iv never taken it out of the protection to read it since it was already graded when i bought it but its cool just having this one.

Wed May 25, 2016 3:52 am
Vintage

Just personal opinion of course, but I advise opening, reading and enjoying comics. There is really little value in preserving sealed copies of books, particularly stuff post-bronze age and recent, especially in the 90s where speculation and gimmicks drove the market to its knees (not to mention some of the 'art'). I mean, it's cool to have minty fresh things and all, but I feel sad that so many people 'collect' comics for value (which there is almost none of) and never spend any time reading the stories inside for which they were made.

This isn't a dig at you HH, or a response to anything in particular, just reminded me of that is all. Grading and stuff is fine, but it is valuation like those that really sets of the [false] notions in the uninformed, which then has a knock-on effect of keeping great material affordable to be discovered by new minds.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Wed May 25, 2016 4:04 am
Toy Prince

ultrakaiju wrote:
Just personal opinion of course, but I advise opening, reading and enjoying comics. There is really little value in preserving sealed copies of books, particularly stuff post-bronze age and recent, especially in the 90s where speculation and gimmicks drove the market to its knees (not to mention some of the 'art'). I mean, it's cool to have minty fresh things and all, but I feel sad that so many people 'collect' comics for value (which there is almost none of) and never spend any time reading the stories inside for which they were made.

This isn't a dig at you HH, or a response to anything in particular, just reminded me of that is all. Grading and stuff is fine, but it is valuation like those that really sets of the [false] notions in the uninformed, which then has a knock-on effect of keeping great material affordable to be discovered by new minds.

Well here is how i look at it though. When everyone else's comics have been read to death and damaged beyond repair its nice to have mint items to show ppl what those issues looked like especially if for some reason physical copies of comics suddenly don't exist anymore.

This is one of those rare cases in despite value of how much it is or is not worth i will not open the comic. They can damage to easy and its very very hard finding physical copies of certain comic books of spider man for reading. I mean some issues especially key issues of certain comic series are virtually impossible to find in comic shops and when you DO find them you have to have stupidly deep pockets to invest in that stuff.

Issue 1 of female Thor is selling for insane prices. Id REALLY love to obtain an issue of her but ill be damned if im going to pay 30 or 40 for ONE comic book! :(

Wed May 25, 2016 4:12 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next