ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:51 pm

Camera help 
Side Dealer

Post Re: Camera help
JAY wrote:
Got tired of the bulky DSLR I have been using for the past couple of years and decided to switch to a point and shoot compact camera.

Following the good reviews the Canon Powershot S90--I scored its predecessor, a Canon S95.

Just started using this badboy today and man, do I enjoy the comfort of a small cam.

You have no clue how happy it makes me to read that. I see so many people throw away perfectly good money so that they can tout a big fat camera, and a few different lenses only to produce sub-par imagery (not that you ever did, Jay, we talked photography plenty in te past!). I've had many a friend over-invest in their camera set-ups & never really pick up on photography, just using the camera in more basic settings & buying a handful of mediocre lenses instead of one or two really nice ones.

Most people really are better off using a higher end P&S camera with a much friendlier learning curve and interface, rather than a DSLR. I went from Canon XTi to Canon 40D to my current Olympus EP1. Nearly as soon as I'd made the transition from full sized APS-C sensor cameras down to the Micro 4/3, all my friends were jealous. I produce the same quality of imagery, have high quality lenses, and shoot video - but none of the bulk or heft, and paid half as much (or less) for my camera body. I really look forward to picking up an S95 in the future for my girlfriend & myself, but think I need to upgrade my Olympus to a newer Panasonic first.

Anyone else on here using M4/3 cameras? Or at least make the switch from DSLR to something smaller?

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:23 pm
Comment King

I'm using the Panasonic GF1 with the pancake lens... so fucking happy with this camera, its a beast!!
Maybe not the best lens for toy photo's but i am so happy i put in the months of research i did and ended up paying a little more for this camera.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:37 pm
Side Dealer

I too am looking forward to getting the S95.
I'm currently using the Canon 500D. Dunno why they give stupid names like Rebel and in my case worst, KISS x3??? But I got it for $400 inclusive of 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens. So hey, you can call it SMOOCHIE x6 for all I care. :lol:

I swap with my sis for the Panasonic LX-5 for about a month. Thought it was a great camera, excellent Leica lens and F2 too, but somehow the images turn out bluish. But that can be fix with some easy customization.

I still have my Panasonic DMC-FX8 whic I really abuse and its still pretty decent. Can't compare with the high end point and shoot though.

There's also a new Nikon that's suppose to compete with Canon S95. Will need to check it out first.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 pm
Side Dealer

The Nikon I was talking about is Coolpix P300. F1.8 :!: :!: :!:

Pretty excited with this NIkon.

I used to be a die-hard Nikon fan till digital came about. Thought Canon just took off with digital leaving Nikon way behind. Even Panasonic with their Leica lens was much better than Nikon.

But looks like Nikon is catching up. Hope to get some review on this fella before jumping on the S95.

Here's a good site:
http://www.dpreview.com/

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm
Die-Cast

because of Joe, I upgraded to the Canon S95 awesome, awesome, awesome....especially in less than ideal lighting conditions (ie: Super 7). very portable.

still use my trusty Canon 350D at home. Was thinking about investing in the Canon 7D or 650D so I can still use all of my lenses, but not sure if I'm going to gain all thaaaaat much for toy photography at home.

thoughts?

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Ooooh, 7D is drool-worthy stuff.

I was looking at the 650D too but I'm kinda weary about the pivoting LCD screen. Thought those pivoting stuff are potential fail points on gadget. Infact I use to own a JVC mini camcorder with the pivot screen. Damn thing lasted less than a year. Had to fix it twice :x . Finally ditched it.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:14 pm
Super Deformed

toybotstudios wrote:
because of Joe, I upgraded to the Canon S95 awesome, awesome, awesome....especially in less than ideal lighting conditions (ie: Super 7). very portable.

still use my trusty Canon 350D at home. Was thinking about investing in the Canon 7D or 650D so I can still use all of my lenses, but not sure if I'm going to gain all thaaaaat much for toy photography at home.

thoughts?

K, a handful of film makers here use the 5D and 7D cameras for optimum film look and depth--I think it produce awesome images. But its quite expensive, especially for our hobby and maybe personal use. But if you can spend that amount of money, it would be cool.

Canon S95 is so making me happy. That Panasonic Lumix LX5 is taunting me to get a second cam, but maybe not for now.

TWITTER: @jaytaruc

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:07 pm
Comment King

How small are you looking to go, how big is your pocket?!
Not very practical but a cool gadget for kids!!

http://www.thanko.jp/product/usb/mame-cam.html

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:35 am
Die-Cast

sweet. i'm gonna get a 7D and trick it out like this..lol.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Addicted

Wanted to add this to the noise re: "It's not about the hardware.."
Nokia N8 being used for a fashion shoot: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/24/noki ... -magazine/

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:07 am
Side Dealer

GoldenArmKid wrote:
I'm using the Panasonic GF1 with the pancake lens... so fucking happy with this camera, its a beast!!
Maybe not the best lens for toy photo's but i am so happy i put in the months of research i did and ended up paying a little more for this camera.

Glad to hear it - most people don't even know that the EP1/EP2/GF1/GF2 exist, much less how capable they are. Same can be said of the S90 and S95, of course - many people dismiss all point & shoot cameras of being so-so in image quality and versatility. Things have come along way, and a digital SLR can only be so good in untrained hands..

The best suggestion I have is to try and learn whatever camera you already own, invest in a quality tripod, and buy 2 or 3 miniature lamps (equipped with a proper bulb for nice color rendition). Improving your versatility & stability (tripod), the amount of light, color of your light (for helping your cameras white balance) & being able to position your lighting based on your situation will drastically improve your image quality.

Word of warning on the Canon 5D MkII & the 7D is that you will need to invest in accessories if you plan on doing video. The giant viewfinder installed in that decked-out photo Kirkland posted makes a HUGE difference. Going handheld and relying on the live-view screen is total shit. Everyone shooting movies & quality videos with these Canon bodies is using pretty nice glass (usually primes, not zooms) and always a helluva tripod or steadicam - unless you like the whole low-budget-horror-shakycam style.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 pm
Comment King

So I'm shopping around for a new cameras my two choice:
Canon Powershot G12
or
Panasonic Lumix LX5

what you guys would recommend?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 am
Side Dealer

Have you hit a camera shop to handle them both in hand? Play around as MUCH as possible with the settings and menu system, Canon and Panny have verrrrry different styles... That said, I would prefer the LX5 over the G12 for myself, but I'm not familiar with the menu systems or controls for those two models. Back before I took the big plunge into M4/3 cams, the LX5 is one of the few cameras I was considering in the handy-sized market.

If you end up liking the G12 more than the LX5, perhaps take some extra time to further compare the G12 & S95 models to eachother. The S95 wins out between the two for me, since it's actually pocketable, and spanks the "point & shoot" market, all while having the ability to shoot in full manual mode & super intuitive controls.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:05 pm
Side Dealer

If you want a "Real" camera I would go for the canon g12 (or g11) I'm not sure where the G series is right now... The point is, it shoots in Jpeg and Raw as well as allows for movie clips... It's really sturdy, and feels like an old film camera, it also has a bracket for an external flash (which is a whole different ballgame), but an option you'll want in the future. I own a d700 and a d80 (full frame and sub frame DSLR), but for a camera in your price range the g12 will be hard to beat. Whatever you choose make sure to get something that will allow for you taking raw photos, that way if you decide to hone your skills in digital developing you'll be able to have complete control over your images. Also a great place I've found to buy photo equipment, is on Craigslist, I bought my Nikon D700 there and saved around 1500 dollars, (It was still a pretty penny but...) All that said Lumix makes pretty decent cameras, Leica are what all photographers strive to get in their lifetime, not because of the cameras themselves. but because of the amazing glass lenses Leica's put out, Lumix use leica glass in their lenses... Panasonic is now funding Leica, in turn Lumix general take pretty sharp photos... If you have any other questions let me know, I'm a photo major so I like to think I know what I'm talking about sometimes...

My Want's List is as follows:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38572

2 Face, or OG Nag, any except R. Fink tribute.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Side Dealer

I just wanted to say I wrote to answer the original post... but I guess I sort of answered your question... maybe?

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Side Dealer

I should also clarify that I suggest the S95 only because it has the same sensor (and processor, I think) as the G12 - just in a smaller package & for less money. If you weren't considering a G12, I wouldn't have put it out there.

Having a real viewfinder at your disposal is nice, when you're outside dealing with bright sunlight & other glares that could make viewing the screen difficult. Also, if you think you'll be interested in using a hot-shoe flash the G12 & LX5 definitely have the upper hand.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:28 pm
Comment King

I chosed those model because they have a lens adptor
is that a good thing?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:45 am
Addicted

What camera did you pick?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

side.g wrote:
I chosed those model because they have a lens adptor
is that a good thing?

Ah, like for attaching a micro or fisheye adapter? I understand. The market is trickier and more expensive for the S95 to run adapters and attachments than for those other bodies. I don't personally mess with them, myself, but some pocket-able p+s cameras come equipped fine for a consumer to take macro shots.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:43 pm
Comment King

justin wrote:
What camera did you pick?

didn't chose yet

Crab Rangoon wrote:
­Ah, like for attaching a micro or fisheye adapter?

well a wide angle

Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:21 pm
Side Dealer

You can buy a lens adapter for the canon as well btw...

That lumix is a pretty nice camera, and just as good as the Leica it imitates IMO...

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Addicted

The Leica that the LX-5 is imitating is also made by Panasonic.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Yeah I posted that earlier Panasonic is now Leica's parent company, the only place that Leica really shines still is in their rangefinders, but that said, they're as bright as the sun... Lazers their beamin...

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW