ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next
 Horror Movies 
Prototype

Post Re: Horror Movies
Mecha wrote:
watched FROZEN last night and def enjoyed it. what a fucked up situation to go through...

Yeah, pretty good movie! The reviewers were too harsh on it. Sure, the acting could have been better but big deal. It was an original idea, held my interest, made me feel uptight and anxious in all the right ways, and I'll never ski again. :D

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:50 pm
Mr. Grumpy™

BloodDrinker6969 wrote:
Since I'm a glutton for pain I plan to watch "Survival of the Dead" this week and then follow it up with the new "Walking Dead" show which should make up for Romero's crap.

Uggggghhh Survival of the Dead is so painful. Don't watch that again Jeff! For me this week is zombie week. I'm playing Red Dead Undead Nightmare which I downloaded yesterday (so intense and awesome btw!), got Walking Dead Volume 6 hardcover coming tomorrow in the mail, and I'll close it with the Walking Dead season premiere on Halloween.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

I haven't actually seen it yet, I have to see it once though. I watched about 10 min. of Walking Dead, I'll finish it tomorrow I hope.

Undead Nightmare is fun for RDR so far, haven't done much but I like it so far.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:24 pm
Addicted

i am a fanatic fan of the genre but come Halloween time if it aint black&white it's gotta be Italian!!!!!!!

' please play by the monster '

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Wow! there's a lot of Italian horror films... I've never even watched one... Well, except Argento's. Good thing ShadowSpectre started this thread!!
I made my list and already started watching some of the suggestions but there's a lot to cover!!! Which is definitely a good thing.
About Frozen, I don't know, it didn't quite do it for me. But I guess it was OK. I like most movies so...
I think someone mentioned 28days later. This and the second movie are also amongst my favorites! I think I heard somewhere they where preparing a third one?
Also, I re-read my list and found Shutter, then I just realized that there is an American version of this, that I actually have not seen, I meant the Thai version.
and @skylar who prefers jp and spain movies, I think these are amongst the best. But I would include other Asian countries like Korea and Thailand and also GUillermo del Toro movies.

ps. Tomorrow I'll be spending the whole night watching zombie films! Enjoy your halloween!

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:21 pm
Addicted

Big Fan of Hammer Films as well- you know, the U.K. & Cushing & Lee & Vampires & the Undead as well great cinematography & many,many fine Blondes & Brunettes! GRRRRWWWWWL!

' please play by the monster '

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

i'll likely be viewing donnie darko and bubba ho-tep this weekend. one is the most effective halloween movie ever, and the other is a healthy serving of cheese.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 pm
Die-Cast

Has anyone seen "Monsters" yet? Sounds like it might be cool, the trailer has me sold but wasn't sure what the word was on it. I'll probably not see it till DVD but thought I'd ask.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:07 pm
Side Dealer

Found Fright Night on netflix instant. I don't care what anyone says, I love that movie!

wants: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36685

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:00 pm
Addicted

BloodDrinker6969 wrote:
Has anyone seen "Monsters" yet? Sounds like it might be cool, the trailer has me sold but wasn't sure what the word was on it. I'll probably not see it till DVD but thought I'd ask.

It's slow, it's not really a horror movie. A lot of the film depends on the chemistry between the leads and they do a decent job but it's something you will either love or hate. No real middle ground. Go into it expecting what it is which is a indie love story in the middle of a giant monster movie. If you go into it thinking District 9 you're going to hate the crap out of it.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:18 pm
Prototype

"Monsters" is respectable for pulling off a bit of "guerilla filmmaking" on a low budget, but ... meh. It didn't really work for me, either as a dysfunctional love story, a giant monster movie, or metaphorically. The metaphoric aspect is so heavy-handed and pretentious that I laughed out loud at a couple of points (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.)

Your mileage may vary. It surprises me that it's gotten some super-enthusiastic reviews. See it if you're curious but don't go expecting a great monster movie.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:15 am
Toy Prince

I just finished watching Ruggero Deodato's House on the Edge of the Park. A lot less gory than Cannibal Holocaust but uncomfortable to watch nevertheless.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:44 am
Die-Cast

Argh hahaha fucking Survival of the Dead, I can't stop yelling at this movie pointing out the flaws both technical and storywise. Such garbage. I'm not all pro-war and shit but Romero's view of the military is so fucking annoying and insulting. He's so out of touch with so many issues. He somehow went from making and defining some of the best horror movies to being as bad or worse than Sci Fi channel original's.

Dean wrote:
"Monsters" is respectable for pulling off a bit of "guerilla filmmaking" on a low budget, but ... meh. It didn't really work for me, either as a dysfunctional love story, a giant monster movie, or metaphorically. The metaphoric aspect is so heavy-handed and pretentious that I laughed out loud at a couple of points (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.)

Your mileage may vary. It surprises me that it's gotten some super-enthusiastic reviews. See it if you're curious but don't go expecting a great monster movie.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm waiting for DVD anyway.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:47 am
Team Tsubu

ImageImage

Just had another look at the deeply under recognized Martin. Once again I walk away thinking it's easily the best film Romero ever put together.

Anyone with me? Anyone?

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:44 am
Super Deformed

^^^ I bought a (R2) special edition of it but i haven't watched it yet . . . . . like D-.No i'm a fan of the Italian stuff too :) Arty or Schlocky - i'm not fussy !!

Burial Ground by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr
The Beyond by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr
Zombi 2 by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr
Bay of Blood by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr
House by the Cemetery by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr
City of the Living Dead by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr
A Lizard in a Woman's Skin by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr

I love mankind, it's people I can't stand - Charles M. Schulz

blingaling wrote:
I'm still in the "everything is shiny and I want it all" phase

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:30 am
Line of Credit

Hey Moog, if you don't know it already you might wanna check out Joe D'Amato's 'Buio Omega' (Beyond The Darkness), pretty nasty Italian classic (with a great early Goblin prog soundtrack):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R57QDsqe2Nk

We're all brothers here people. We are pinnacle of toy nerddom. Band together, support each other, someone might hook you up because "you're not an asshole".

Wanted + Trades + Sales + Flickr

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 am
Super Deformed

^^ I've never heard of that one - sounds suitably disgusting and trashy . . . I might give it a whirl.
I enjoy Goblin soundtracks too . . . . their punchy in-your-face style always helps - Profondo Rosso and Suspiria are classic soundtracks!

blingaling wrote:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:14 am
Line of Credit

The Moog wrote:
^^ I've never heard of that one - sounds suitably disgusting and trashy . . . I might give it a whirl.
I enjoy Goblin soundtracks too . . . . their punchy in-your-face style always helps - Profondo Rosso and Suspiria are classic soundtracks!

Yeah, D'Amato has probably been less exposed than other directors like Fulci or Argento but he's produced some pretty disgusting and trashy stuff before (probably also while) going hardcore :lol:

We're all brothers here people. We are pinnacle of toy nerddom. Band together, support each other, someone might hook you up because "you're not an asshole".

Wanted + Trades + Sales + Flickr

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 am
Prototype

Anyone else here see Kill List? Cool genre-mixing UK indie flick. Most people will tell you it's horror and it definitely ends up there but it's also an unsettling domestic drama and a weird crime drama as well. Starts out seeming somewhat normal and gradually gravitates to scary-ass feral magickal wilderness with a bit of the old ultraviolence thrown in along the way. Most impressive movie of any sort that I've seen lately. See this thing.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 pm
Side Dealer

toothaction wrote:
Just had another look at the deeply under recognized Martin. Once again I walk away thinking it's easily the best film Romero ever put together.

Anyone with me? Anyone?

YES. I am shocked at how many self proclaimed "horror movie fanatics" I've introduced to this film. Is deserves more notoriety, and I totally agree it's the best thing he ever put together.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:21 pm
Toy Prince

Dean wrote:
Anyone else here see Kill List? Cool genre-mixing UK indie flick. Most people will tell you it's horror and it definitely ends up there but it's also an unsettling domestic drama and a weird crime drama as well. Starts out seeming somewhat normal and gradually gravitates to scary-ass feral magickal wilderness with a bit of the old ultraviolence thrown in along the way. Most impressive movie of any sort that I've seen lately. See this thing.

Hey Dean if you like Kill List please seek out Ben's previous movie "Down Terrace", it's a crime drama with subtle comedy, so good.

Ti West's "The Innkeepers" comes out 4/24, it's a haunted hotel movie. Netflix/Red Box it!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 pm
Side Dealer

forget all of you and your epic artistic well written horror movies.

phantomfauna wrote:
No...that's not all I got. Eat a three inch dick footlong you prick.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:04 pm
Super Deformed

PaulieVinyl wrote:
toothaction wrote:

Anyone with me? Anyone?

YES. I am shocked at how many self proclaimed "horror movie fanatics" I've introduced to this film. Is deserves more notoriety, and I totally agree it's the best thing he ever put together.

I will be watching this on the weekend then - i've had it for a while but didn't get around to watching it . . . .

I saw 'The Crazies' (1973) recently and I really enjoyed it.
It stars the delightful pixie-faced Lynn Lowry who's also in David Cronenberg's 'Shivers'.

blingaling wrote:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 am
Side Dealer

debparis wrote:
Ti West's "The Innkeepers" comes out 4/24, it's a haunted hotel movie. Netflix/Red Box it!

Looking forward to this. I have heard good things about a few of Ti West's other films.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:21 am
Toy Prince

The Moog wrote:

I was lucky enough to see a screening of Bay of Blood here in NYC a few years ago. Seeing it on a big screen was really something else.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next