ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Horror Movies 
Comment King

Post Re: Horror Movies
Finally saw The Witch. Was not disappointed.

I also actually liked the ending.

When you think of it this way, she just lost her entire family. All the prayers, all the godliness, none of it protected them. Instead it caused them to descend into a flurry of accusations and abusive (and nearly murderous) paranoia. What else is there to do but try to talk to that weird goat that gored your dad, apparently spoke to your twin siblings, and oddly has decided to stick around in the barn? In the end she becomes a witch, but what I took away from that wasn't only title fulfillment, but she also found a new family. A family that in the very first encounter, shows her a type of enlightenment. Her true family had been trying so hard to attain an equivalent, but despite all of their religious fervor they couldn't protect themselves nor find the bounty their God had promised.

So yeah... I don't think the ending was an afterthought at all.

Tue May 24, 2016 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

greg wrote:
The smiling man was decent. My son loved it, then again he is 9. Ha,ha...................
I just watched a pile of shit movie called Southbound. It's an anthology, yikes that was painful. Steer clear and save your time. None of the stories were good.

See! Tastes are so varied. I LOVED Southbound (we discussed it a few pages back). But I can totally understand your reaction to it. I've been reading a few horror blogs and finding I do not take away the same things from the same films as the bloggers do. It's really interesting to see the varied reactions we have with these flicks

Tue May 24, 2016 6:43 pm
Line of Credit

^^^ I agree. I love reading people's opinions on horror films.
On a different note Blum House just got the rights to the Halloween franchise. They got Carpenter to be a producer and creative consultant. They are trying to sign him on to do the soundtrack. I hope it all pans out into a watchable film.

Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 pm
Addicted

greg wrote:
^^^ I agree. I love reading people's opinions on horror films.
On a different note Blum House just got the rights to the Halloween franchise. They got Carpenter to be a producer and creative consultant. They are trying to sign him on to do the soundtrack. I hope it all pans out into a watchable film.

Can't be worse then those Rob Zombie train wrecks.

Tue May 24, 2016 10:58 pm
Addicted

hellointerloper wrote:
Finally saw The Witch. Was not disappointed.

I also actually liked the ending.

When you think of it this way, she just lost her entire family. All the prayers, all the godliness, none of it protected them. Instead it caused them to descend into a flurry of accusations and abusive (and nearly murderous) paranoia. What else is there to do but try to talk to that weird goat that gored your dad, apparently spoke to your twin siblings, and oddly has decided to stick around in the barn? In the end she becomes a witch, but what I took away from that wasn't only title fulfillment, but she also found a new family. A family that in the very first encounter, shows her a type of enlightenment. Her true family had been trying so hard to attain an equivalent, but despite all of their religious fervor they couldn't protect themselves nor find the bounty their God had promised.

So yeah... I don't think the ending was an afterthought at all.

Totally agree. I read a bunch of interviews after I saw the film and nothing was done without a huge amount of forethought and attention to detail. The movie was his baby for years and he researched every aspect aspect from the dialog to the goat barn for longer then most people spend making whole movies.

Tue May 24, 2016 11:01 pm
Addicted

Will try and make this batch real brief:

--The Crazies (original): Forgot how boring this one was. Way too much time spent with the military and medical officials. Not my favorite Romero flick

--The Incubus: Good '80s horror with a twist ending. Kind of a yucky feel to this one, lots of talk about rape and semen.

--They Look Like People: Good movie, pretty unnerving, with great performances by these unknowns (to me). Although this plays out like a horror film, it really isn't horror. Well done though.

--Suspiria: Got it on DVD and watched it with a buddy. Don't really need to say much about this one.

--Habit: After talking about Larry Fessenden so much, I thought I should go back to his beginnings. This is from 1995, and it's a totally low-budget affair. Fessenden is really good in this, it's kind of a companion piece to Vampire's Kiss, same idea, but told very differently.

--Shuttle: This one is sort of like They Look Like People, it's presented as horror, but really isn't. Once I realized what was really going on it became very disturbing. It's a bummer, but I think it's worth checking out.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:23 pm
Comment King

I heard they're going to remake Suspiria... WHY. :evil:

Wed May 25, 2016 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

hellointerloper wrote:

Never heard of it before. :O

Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 pm
Addicted

I really got no problems with remakes. If someone told me there was going to be a remake of Taxi Driver it wouldn't surprise or bother me. They've been making remakes since they've been making movies.

As far as Suspiria, I think they could do something pretty cool with it. And I guess the guy who's doing it has done some interesting stuff in the past.

Wed May 25, 2016 4:33 pm
Addicted

They're definitely not all bad if you consider the 86 Fly and 82 Thing are both remakes. 06 Hills Have Eyes was pretty great too. The original still holds up but the remake took it to a new level. I think it all depends on the situation. Would I like to see fresh material? Sure. But sometimes a movie could stand an update from generation to generation .

Wed May 25, 2016 6:16 pm
Comment King

Headhunter wrote:
hellointerloper wrote:

Never heard of it before. :O

It's an Italian film from 1977, I enjoyed it. The atmosphere is great throughout.

And DANG I was running off of some old info, someone was telling me the director of Pineapple Express was doing it and they were going to Americanize it. That apparently crumbled back in 2014 and now an Italian director is doing it... though there will be a location change to Berlin, but the time period will remain 1977.

THANKS WIKIPEDIA! (and boo, for uninformed friends)

Wed May 25, 2016 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

I, for one, really liked the remake of Evil Dead. Not saying I liked it more than the original, but it was a whole lotta fun.

Wed May 25, 2016 9:21 pm
Team Tsubu

Fessenden's Habit was a remake, too... of Fessenden's Habit! I've been trying to track down a copy of his '81 original for years.

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Wed May 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Addicted

Lttr Prssd wrote:
I, for one, really liked the remake of Evil Dead. Not saying I liked it more than the original, but it was a whole lotta fun.

Forgot about that one! Yeah that was a good one! Heck even evil dead 2 was a bit of a remake of evil dead 1.

Thu May 26, 2016 2:17 am
Vintage

Yeah, I have nothing against a remake in and of itself, it is just the way it is handled. And given the modern 'hollywood' stylings for these things, the track record has been terrible. But as I said in my earlier post, I think there is probably a lot of interesting places they could go with some cult/horror classics, if they have a strong creative head behind the project, and want to do something different with it. But I remain tentative, because for every good horror remake (like some of the ones mentioned) I think it balances to probably 20 or so terrible ones.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Thu May 26, 2016 2:29 am
Toy Prince

BrickBat wrote:
Lttr Prssd wrote:

Forgot about that one! Yeah that was a good one! Heck even evil dead 2 was a bit of a remake of evil dead 1.

He lost the rights to the first one unfortunately. Had to make the second so he could tie in Army of Darkness. From my understanding of course.

Fri May 27, 2016 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Did anyone see Absentia? It's on the bf's Fios free movie list, and I can't sleep... But I don't want to end up watching another shit movie. :|

Sat May 28, 2016 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

I talked about it earlier. It's okay. Not bad, not great.

Sat May 28, 2016 11:14 pm
Toy Prince

Ok these are not movies but i REALLY think Adult Swim could make some really scary mindfucking shit if they truly wanted to for movies lol.

Sat May 28, 2016 11:43 pm
Addicted

Remakes for me are pretty hit and miss. The worst I can remember are The Thing and pretty much all the stuff Rob Zombie shits out.

Sun May 29, 2016 8:35 pm
Toy Prince

Waterbear wrote:
Remakes for me are pretty hit and miss. The worst I can remember are The Thing and pretty much all the stuff Rob Zombie shits out.

I never saw the remake of the remake. Is it even worth the time watching the 2000 remake version?

Sun May 29, 2016 8:49 pm
Addicted

Headhunter wrote:
Waterbear wrote:

I never saw the remake of the remake. Is it even worth the time watching the 2000 remake version?

Nope.

It was officially billed as a prequel but it was just a remake. The worst part was they hired an incredible practical effects crew to do all the special effects for the movie then decided to can it all post-production and go CGI instead because they decided the practical stuff looked to 80's. Fuck that.

Sun May 29, 2016 10:09 pm
Vintage

The Thing remake commits the worst sin of any prequel, which is so often why I loathe them in the end, and that is that it changes the entire set up of the story, and once you have seen it, no matter how much you ignore it or pretend like it didn't happen, you have watched it, and it forever taints your enjoyment of the 'original' in a way that should never be allowed. It is both {blech} and {grrrrr} at the same time. See SW:I-II and Prometheus.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Sun May 29, 2016 11:05 pm
Addicted

I like The Thing prequel, and Prometheus! To each their own, right? :)

Mon May 30, 2016 12:42 pm
Vintage

Lttr Prssd wrote:
I like The Thing prequel, and Prometheus! To each their own, right? :)
Incorrect, Mark. You are hereby banned.

No dissent shall be tolerated.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon May 30, 2016 1:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next