ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Tech stuff, Movies, Music...anything but toys.
Post a reply

Re: netflix instant thread.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:51 pm

One name that I never figured would bring any search result joy on Netflix is Walerian Borowczyk. Turns out that you can stream some of the most artful and oftimes disturbing smut ever produced over there:

Last edited by toothaction on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Too funny. I just added Immoral Tales to my list the other day.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Borowczyk was a really interesting guy - I can't recommend enough digging in to his life's work and story a bit. His painting and design work was quite spectacular, his animations varied and unique, and his historical erotica needs to be seen to be believed. Another something to hunt for are his films of his toys and automata. I hear tale he wrote some books, too. :)

The Beast, for those that can stomach it, is essential streaming. I still can't believe that it's even an option.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Not sure if it's new to the service or not, but the Netflix robots just recommended one of my favorite sitcoms from the aughts to me, Black Books.

Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran and Tamsin Greig.

If you've never seen the hilariously depressing antics of Bernard, Manny and Fran before, you should treat yourself. Primarily written by it's creator and star, Dylan Moran, an added enticement to get you to have a look is that Graham Lineham - in the wilderness between Father Ted and The IT Crowd - co-wrote the first series.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:01 pm

^ I've also been rewatching Black Books ! Just watched the 'cleaner' episode last night. Hilarious.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:08 pm

^ Ha! One of the best eps. I need to have a look at the whole run again, too.

Just finished The Wolfpack:

Devastating, fascinating and oddly inspirational.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:55 pm

I really enjoyed the Wolfpack too. Definitely haunting.

I sure hope that they do a follow-up.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:34 pm

^ Some follow-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EdTba2Z9po

Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:46 pm

I rambled a bit about 4°C on the last page, but just stumbled on someone's professional ramblings about the same thing as it relates to Netflix. Figured I'd share that, too:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/internet-tel ... 17831.html
My older ramble has direct links to the streams, if'n you care to have a look:
toothaction wrote:I just noticed that Netflix has added several titles from my favorite Japanese animation house, Studio 4°C:

One of the greatest films of the entire aughts,
Masaaki Yuasa's Mind Game;
http://www.netflix.com/title/80063295

Two really excellent collections of shorts,
ImageImageWatch Mind Game, daggit. Blah blah blah.
Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond;
http://www.netflix.com/title/80063625 http://www.netflix.com/title/80063805

and a feature that I downloaded forever ago
...but admit that I haven't had a look at yet:
Sunao Katabuchi's Princess Arete.
http://www.netflix.com/title/80063294

I was originally made aware of the above biscuits thanks to the custom sub underground. It's pretty exciting to me that these beauties have finally received some official English-language love.
Watch Mind Game, daggit! Blah blah blah.

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I was surprised when the Genius Party films popped up on Netflix. They're hit and miss, but worth watching for the hits. Mind Game and Princess Arete have been in my queue, but you've convinced me to jump on em this weekend with Mind Game being one of your favorites.

toothaction wrote:^ Some follow-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EdTba2Z9po

Oh man, I just finished it, David. Thanks for that.

Visiting Hollywood, I can't imagine what an experience that must've been for them; to step into the world they grew up in outside of fantasy. It was the perfect next stop on their journey.

I'm currently watching this 20/20 story behind the documentary - the before and after with some interesting updates about the current family dynamic and into the lives of the individual family members, including their Mother and Father. Two of the brothers are actively making films now (separately). Robert De Niro makes an appearance too. This s a Great expose with a lot of substance. Be prepared tho, it's not a clip and about as long as the original documentary.

http://youtu.be/-4jMlque2vs

EDIT: It's not as long as it seems. For some reason it loops at least 3 times. So when you see the intro again, you know it's caput.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:17 am

I highly recommend 'Best of Enemies' which is a superb documentary on the spirited debates between William F Buckley and Gore Vidal during the 1968 Republican and Democratic National Conventions. I obviously lean towards liberal views but it's great to see two intellectuals battle, and the reprocussions on how debates are presented by the news today.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:50 pm

And in the shallow end of the pool, I just noticed that they added Darkman. It's never too soon to revisit that little slice of silly.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm assuming some of you have to be on this. While the angle the film maker does shoot or edit this does seem one sided...I think it's a great watch, I was so invested in this I did all 10 episodes in 3 days. pretty intense. left me with shock, a bit of rage, and sadness all at the same time.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:38 pm

eckotyper wrote:I'm assuming some of you have to be on this. While the angle the film maker does shoot or edit this does seem one sided...I think it's a great watch, I was so invested in this I did all 10 episodes in 3 days. pretty intense. left me with shock, a bit of rage, and sadness all at the same time.

I binge watched it all on New years day! Highly Recommended!

Good follow up docs are "The Thin Blue Line" and "The Central Park Five"...both on Netflix.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:28 pm

^ I caught a bit about it on the news yesterday. Apparently it's so one-sided that multiple elements of damning evidence, other sadistic acts they'd committed, and relating facts had been purposely skewed or omitted from the doc and the makers even admitted to it.

The documentary must be well done and convincing enough of his innocence, because there was a petition circling around that'd already gained hundreds of signatures last i heard, all with the hopes of having him and his son pardoned.
Last edited by boon velvet on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:43 pm

boon velvet wrote:^ I caught a bit about it on the news yesterday. Apparently it's so one-sided that multiple elements of damning evidence, other sadistic acts they'd committed, and relating facts had been purposely skewed or omitted from the doc and the makers even admitted to it.

The documentary must be well done and convincing enough of his innocence, because there was a petition circling around that'd already gained hundreds of signatures last i heard, all with the hopes of having him and his son pardoned.

It is a bit one sided, but not enough that you don't see in the injustice and the wrong doing.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Huh, I wonder what the pardoning is about then.

I usually get into films like this, but not knowing fact from fiction and what's been cut, I wouldn't know what to think. If I watched it before learning of it how I did, I might've sided with them as well. I tend to get passionate over cases of injustice. But some of the evidence presented in the broadcast seemed pretty indisputable...

I haven't totally decided against watching it yet. Now more-so to see just how well some of the fabrications like the conspiracy angle were executed.e

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:43 pm

As a huge fan of "your moms house" podcast I am ultra geeked for the new Tom Segura stand up special released this friday the 8th worldwide.

If you are not familiar with his and his wife's podcast ( YMH ) its hilarious! > http://yourmomshousepodcast.com/

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:56 am

I've listened to alot of his standup on Pandora, really funny dude. I am also excited for this one. I was unaware of his podcast though. I will have to look that up and check it out.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:16 am

I am a big Tom Segura fan. I have seen him live a handful of times and he is one of the best story teller comedians out there. Him and his wife's podcast is among the best! I cant wait for this Netflix special to air!

Topher, pull those jeans up! High and tight!

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:40 pm

if you read up on some of the other evidence that isnt presented in the final netflix cut i see stuff that I heard on netflix and knew how horrendous it was. some of the other is skeptical and can be argued as circumstantial... but the fact is all of the real true dna evidence in my mind is/was tainted... as if this county was so sure taht this man/ or man and nephew did do these acts... that they would do whatever it takes to make sure he is in fact convicted. craziness. i like court shows/crime documentaries like this... but never did i think i'd invest 10 hours to watching one... that being said... the OJ mini series is almost here lol.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:11 pm

They're discussing it on Dr. Drew right now, Mike.

Edit: Btw, I did start watching the documentary this morning after reading up on it a bit more online, but I had to cut it off. I just don't know what to believe. It's such a mess. I agree that there should be an investigation into that police precinct. Though I don't think it will happen... I can say, I hope he's guilty since he's been convicted...

Although different, I keep thinking of when the Paradise Lost documentary aired.
Last edited by boon velvet on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:38 pm

wizeguy wrote:I am a big Tom Segura fan. I have seen him live a handful of times and he is one of the best story teller comedians out there. Him and his wife's podcast is among the best! I cant wait for this Netflix special to air!

Topher, pull those jeans up! High and tight!

You know it man, denim on, ready for Brown Talk :lol:

I made this song they featured on a few recent episodes https://soundcloud.com/topheroy/mom

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:07 pm

haven't listened in a while... About to change that!

Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Under two hours away from finishing up Making a Murderer. Depressed.
Post a reply