ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Game of Thrones 
Vintage

Post Re: Game of Thrones
They are definitely cramming way too much in to wrap this up in the end. I think B&W are just so tired of the show period, and have plotted out exactly (more or less) what each individual episode is going to break down to until the end. It is a shame it has become so haphazard in the story telling; and yet another reason why I am so tired of all the High Sparrow scenes of him prattling on. Jonathan Pryce is a fine actor and all, but we get it, he is a crazy dangerous dude, the scariest kind of fanatic, one who truly believes but is also a master manipulator. But please, there is no more need to waste the very, very little time we have left per season in listening to him sermonize at people. I also find it a problem (and slightly deus ex way to remove the Lannisters/Tyrells from power) because the show has never established how/why the 'new faith' arose at all, or why they managed to hold such sway all of a sudden - other than to simlpy handwave it away as Cersei gave the HS power to help her attain a goal. It is much more clear, and meaningful, to show how a large swathe of Westeros was essentially decimated by the war of the kings, how the 'common people' were the ones truly suffering, and how it times of desperate need it is so easy for people to turn to faith and be swayed by someone offering a powerful message. That is the sermon we need, not the lame trope one we got about a random dude seeing the error of his ways through booze and debauchery.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Tue May 17, 2016 1:50 am
Toy Prince

^^ Really hope Swearengen makes that speech.

Tue May 17, 2016 3:41 am
Super Deformed

Philpenn wrote:
^^ Really hope Swearengen makes that speech.

SWEDGEN!
CUCK SUCKUH!

I love mankind, it's people I can't stand - Charles M. Schulz

blingaling wrote:
I'm still in the "everything is shiny and I want it all" phase

Tue May 17, 2016 4:52 am
S7 Royalty

I get what you're saying, but since people (THEM!) relate a lot more to personal stories than the geopolitics of war... I definitely read the books and watch the show for very different reasons!

Wish list: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48478&p=861452#p861452 (ok, somehow forgot html)

Last edited by petitetoilonrouge on Tue May 17, 2016 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 17, 2016 5:03 am
Vintage

Without a doubt, Al makes everything better.

So, I am interested to see how this whole 'revolt' in KL plays out. It seems highly probable that the HS is orchestrating the entire thing, based on his conversation with Tommen that lead to this. Now, he might not know exactly how it will play out, but I have no doubt that the inclusion of that scene - and the purposeful omission to the audience of the conversation between them (as well as b/w Cersei and Tommen) is going to come back to be of importance. My take is that it could mean a couple different things in terms of getting there with Cersei and the small council:

1) Everything is on the up-and-up with how the audience sees it; Sparrow truthfully told Tommen Margery was going to do the walk of shame, and Cersei genuinely wants to rescue her.

2) The High Sparrow lied to Tommen about the walk of shame, knowing he would tell Cersei, causing her to overreact and step into some trap he has planned for the Tyrell army.

3) The High Sparrow told Tommen something completely different (parentage?), that info caused Cersei to hatch a plan to betray the Tyrells, likely thinking the assault will result in the deaths of Margaery and/or Loras.

4) Some mixture of the above.

So yeah, he might have a plan there behind this all, as it does seem evident, and very convenient, that he would allow this sequence of events, but this being KL and GoT, it can go any way as to whether his plans, if any, come to fruition as he hopes. It may just be that he is poking the nest to provoke the powerful families to have a final open excuse to de-throne them, and secure the faith's stranglehold on KL.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Tue May 17, 2016 5:41 am
Team Tsubu

Games of Drones
Your new favorite sleep aid?

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Thu May 19, 2016 5:36 pm
Vintage

flickr part [2] part [3]

Fri May 20, 2016 2:01 am
S7 Royalty

If the Tower of Joy battle was a western.

Wish list: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48478&p=861452#p861452 (ok, somehow forgot html)

Fri May 20, 2016 5:41 am
Mini Boss

damn...

Sun May 22, 2016 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

:cry:

Excellent episode. And I enjoy knowing that Hodor's origin came straight from R.R. Martin.

Sun May 22, 2016 8:27 pm
Toy Prince

There's really no way Meera and Bran could get South of The Wall, but if the show has them make it Westeros is fucked.

Mon May 23, 2016 5:00 am
Vintage

^ Umhmm. Part of the way the show now has become so contrived just to move the plot forward. You are absolutely right. They are stuck north of the wall, surrounded by wights/Others, a young woman dragging a 6' crippled man around in a sledge, through the snow and oncoming winter, with zero direction of where to go. In any other situation it is pretty evident where this would lead. Heck, even building up to getting to the Three-eyed Raven, they basically made the whole journey and task of getting there so difficult and one-way in its nature, without even having any adversaries. You have to wonder.

But again, as it diverges from the source material/goes on its own, the show is completely doing this separate thing to become 'tv-friendly', foregoing the whole structure that made ASOIAF (and GoT) such a hit. They are dropping all the political maneuvering, backstory & context of the mythology, character development, etc., in favour of a rapid product and getting on with it. Whereas before B&W had to more or less follow the plotlines of the novels, with only key points now from what they were given from Martin to go off, they can happily (also because they both have admitted they really want the show over with) abbreviate the narrative in favor of big moments that push the plot forward rapidly or provide an immediate payoff. E.g. several important leaders have been assassinated this season with no negative repercussions or political fallout of any sort, and just as many key plot lines from the books have been simplified, removed, or truncated. And other allegiances are shifting to suit the plot and create drama. Meanwhile, characters effectively teleport around the world to more quickly advance the story — basically everything is being scaled down, sped up, and all of the pieces are being positioned for the rapidly approaching finale seasons. I get why they are doing it, just not enjoying the change (for me) in what the show has become.

Getting back to discussion of the actual events from last night's episode, see convenient appearance of long hallway & door (all to set up the climax' events), Summer dying apparently to buy them half a second of getaway time, Three-eyed Raven scratched out, and so forth. I am a bit surprised too how quickly they just presented the creation of the WWs to get it out of the way, but meanwhile the show has never really build up the import of the roles of the CotF, Bloodraven/greenseers, arrival of men, etc. Again, I am not sure how a non-book reader views these things, so I guess it is just fine (?).

Most importantly though, how is no one talking about this:

"There are no small roles."

:)

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon May 23, 2016 5:34 am
Addicted

ultrakaiju wrote:
I am a bit surprised too how quickly they just presented the creation of the WWs to get it out of the way, but meanwhile the show has never really build up the import of the roles of the CotF, Bloodraven/greenseers, arrival of men, etc. Again, I am not sure how a non-book reader views these things, so I guess it is just fine (?).

As a non-book reader who has followed the show since the beginning I can honestly say I am getting pretty lost this season. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the show just fine but I feel like I'm missing so many things now. A big part of the mystery aspect from the beginning for me was where the fuck did the white ice demon guys come from and now it looks like the odd little poison ivy things from batman created them for some reason? If that's the case why did the ice guys just kill them all? And who the shit was the guy in the tree anyway and why did seeing glimpses of the past matter so much? I still really have no idea what the fuck the many faced god is either. I mean I know it's some assassins guild or whatever but really they need an infinite number of random faces and they have to be mindless slaves to wear them? It's a great show but more and more I feel like either nothing is happening or a million things are happening so fast that I don't understand half of them.

Mon May 23, 2016 7:54 am
Vintage

^ Hahahaha, oh man, thank you! I am glad that it didn't just seem this way, and I am honestly sorry that it has become so confusing and obtuse for an average viewer, especially cramming more characters and stories in at such a pace. So, I don't know if you actually want enlightenment on all those details or not, but it is possible we could explain some things. [and also, I apologise for using acronyms in my recaps/reviews that might not be clear]
Waterbear wrote:
more and more I feel like either nothing is happening or a million things are happening so fast that I don't understand half of them.
This. So much, this.

Also, was anyone else thinking during the setup,

Old tree dude: “Listen, Bran. You can’t go back to the past or wander about time without me, because if that ice dude touches you he can come here.”

Lanky kid with no clue: “Oh, ok, thanks for the heads up.”

Three-eyed Raven continues to instruct Bran in everything he knows without further incident.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 am
Mr. Grumpy™

Man I'm so glad I just gave up on all shows altogether. Don't have time or energy to deconstruct them anymore and most sound like a big waste of time. There was a new golden age for them on cable 6-8 years ago it seems but every show now is written by incompetent morons or is at the mercy of the network making sure they spread plots out to keep viewers hooked until they're bored to death.

Mon May 23, 2016 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

Gawd last night was bad. From annoyance to laughing at it to angry frustration. I'll leave it there because I don't have the energy to sum it all up.

I will say that Gwendoline Christie rocks! I heard her read a short story recently and thought it was the most perfect reading I've yet heard.

Mon May 23, 2016 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

So im going to have to watch this from the very first season cause otherwise its like walking into the middle of The Walking Dead and just to expect to know whats going on lol.

Mon May 23, 2016 9:13 am
Vintage

I would argue that it is much different in fact, but most certainly, you will need to watch it from the beginning to make the most (or possibly, anything) out of it.

You...are not wrong, Lixx. :? Problem is, short of swearing of entertainment all together - highly unlikely at least for myself, you kind of just have to live with what is out there, and hope for the best. But more often than not, prepare for disappointment. I think also though, our expectations are just might higher today; partially because there is sooooo much out there - we are inundated with oceans of crap, really - and we have actually seen compelling television in the past. But even if you consider shows you might call 'mediocre', probably there are now to waste a few hours on than you would have ever gotten in the height of tv during the '70s or '80s. Of course, I am still agreeing with you.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon May 23, 2016 9:21 am
Post Pimp

I'm surprised at the amount of dislike for the show on this board.

I've enjoyed the show for the most part, and haven't felt alienated by the constant location jumps/character intros. Though I will say, if you're trying to get into the show, there is no way you're going to be able to jump in mid series.

Anyways, what i'm trying to say is that this show is far from being on the same level as TWD, which seems to be the comparison of choice for whatever reason.

WANTS

TRADES

Mon May 23, 2016 9:46 am
Vintage

Just to clarify, I don't dislike the show at all. And I think anyone coming here to post/read probably feels similarly, else we wouldn't be watching (but hey, I am just speaking for myself in any case). I do like GoT, and don't see the comparison to WD, as I was saying earlier, other than it being a genre TV show. So yeah, I appreciate what you are saying, Brian. If it seems like I am bashing the show, it's only because I actually am invested in it, ya know? So we criticize the things we care about, kinda just the way it goes. And I am going to keep watching all the same, no matter my small gripes. :P Overall I still enjoy it, and no doubt my rants on it (along with many many many) other things will continue.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon May 23, 2016 10:04 am
Team Tsubu

Lixx wrote:
Man I'm so glad I just gave up on all shows altogether. Don't have time or energy to deconstruct them anymore and most sound like a big waste of time. There was a new golden age for them on cable 6-8 years ago it seems but every show now is written by incompetent morons or is at the mercy of the network making sure they spread plots out to keep viewers hooked until they're bored to death.
Y'know, if somebody told me that I was only allowed to watch The Americans, Better Call Saul and Rick and Morty, I suppose I'd be okay. There is actually a good bit more gold out there if you're willing to pan for it, but I fully support your idiot box boycott ~ it's summer, fer Bog's sake!

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Mon May 23, 2016 10:18 am
Mr. Grumpy™

Precisely- as many Northen U.S. SB'ers as well as Canadians know: Summer is way too short here. Meaning make hay while the sun is shining i.e. get the fuck out of the house while you can. For instance, last Sunday May 15th for my graduation it fucking snowed! Maybe not full on but flurries and temps in the low 30's. It's fucking May?! I grew up in NJ where we were wearing shorts in April. This week it finally got warm and stayed there for more than two days so I'm outside as much as possible.

I suppose I'd be more inclined to watch more shows but A) I don't have cable (and refuse to pay hundreds of bucks for 800 channels of mostly nothing) B) I actually refuse to pay to watch shows anymore given my gripes. So unless it's free (which nothing is) I'm out and C) Project Free TV is gone which was my illegal access point to content. Most of those sites are dodgy anyhow and I'm not risking it with all the viruses and security BS.

So outside it is. My fitibit loves me.

Mon May 23, 2016 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Team Tsubu

Speaking of a not so fit bit...

Was the story of the fate of Varys' penis portrayed on the show before? Can't remember. Such a well-told tale in the book!

Mon May 23, 2016 11:45 am
Vintage

Yes, there was a scene where he retold the 'story' to Tyrion, all about pretext for getting his revenge, and how he bade his time until he could exact it on the sorcerer who cut him, suggesting that, in time, Tyrion could also get revenge on those he wished (s03e04). It was also where he made in clear to Tyrion how he [understandably] distrusted all forms of magic (and I supposed it is implied, faith) because of this experience, which was also heavily referenced in last night's episode.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon May 23, 2016 12:30 pm
Super Deformed

ultrakaiju wrote:
everything is being scaled down, sped up, and all of the pieces are being positioned for the rapidly approaching finale seasons. I get why they are doing it, just not enjoying the change (for me) in what the show has become.

Yep. This sums it up for me. I'm still enjoying it, but its not the same show anymore. Its a pity.

I love mankind, it's people I can't stand - Charles M. Schulz

blingaling wrote:
I'm still in the "everything is shiny and I want it all" phase

Mon May 23, 2016 12:59 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next