ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:00 pm

Cups, mugs, glasses, tumblers 
Side Dealer

Post Cups, mugs, glasses, tumblers
I meant to make this thread a month or two ago, but forgot all about it until today, when one of my glasses met it's end.

I got this glass from my great grandmother when I was around 8-10 years old. This past Winter, it was un-earthed from my storage unit along with some other kitchenware from my childhood. I'd meant to photograph it for quite a while, and was really proud to still have it in my possession - so of course it became our new cup for the bathroom sink (for taking pills, rinsing post-toothbrush, etc). We've even dropped it a couple times, and saved it mid-fall, that just wasn't the case this afternoon.

I know hateball is also an avid mug-fiend, but surely we've got some other members on here who are really fond of their drinkware. Both my girlfriend & myself have numerous pieces in the cupboard from our childhood, as well as some more modern finds that are equally nostalgic & geeky. With this in mind, I thought I'd start chronicling my cups, because you never know when they'll meet their demise (or get stolen).

Show me what you've got, and if you care to elaborate why it's awesome, I'd love to hear it.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:58 pm
Prototype

Post Re: Cups, mugs, glasses, tumblers
I LOVE Pint glasses. I hate plastic drinking glasses. My wife and daughter break them all the time so I actually have a pretty large collection growing in my curios cases. We also have a ton of glasses back in storage. I'll try and take some pictures this week.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:16 pm
S7 Royalty

I have a small collection of glass bottles (milk from Japan, water from Thailand, soy milk from Hong Kong...). And mugs. But everyone collects mugs. This said, your picture rocks.

Wish list: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48478&p=861452#p861452 (ok, somehow forgot html)

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:58 pm
Line of Credit

The only printed glass I have is Steven the Bat, and everyone has seen that. But my favorite mug is this Fiesta ware Halloween mug. In our house, it's the special mug you get when you're sick and need some tea. There's a black one with an orange cat face, but I've never found one at a reasonable price.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:11 am
Super Deformed

KFHC

KEVLO flickr

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Nice one Blake, we've got a nice Halloween mug too, but it pretty much only comes out for seasonal eggnog usage.
Also, I believe my mom has both the Jack'o'lantern and the Cat versions of the Fiesta mug, but she has an extensive Fiestaware and/or Halloween kitchenware collection.

Nice Kev, are they display only, or they get used too?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 am
Line of Credit

^^ What's up with Halloween egg nog? It's like the nog people are trying to be sneaky and expand the egg nog "season". I, for one, welcome the day when eggnog is available year round. Or at least for every holiday. For the 4th you could have Patriot Nog. For Easter, Bunny Nog, etc.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:17 am
Line of Credit

Never seen Hallowen eggnog before. I love the artwork on the eggnog carton.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:12 am
Side Dealer

Apparently a lot of brands have it, and the availability will vary depending on the dairies local to your area. It's still super awesome though :) Hell, when we went for Thanksgiving last year, I was rewarded with PUMPKIN Thanksgiving eggnog. Mix with coffee and I could be set drinking it all day long.

Here's the Minnie Mouse mug my girlfriend dons at work for tea. I thought it was at least 10 years old, but it turns out she bought it for herself at the Orlando airport during a work trip due to being pissed off about no time to hit Disney World a few years ago.

living dead wrote:
I LOVE Pint glasses. I hate plastic drinking glasses. My wife and daughter break them all the time so I actually have a pretty large collection growing in my curios cases. We also have a ton of glasses back in storage. I'll try and take some pictures this week.

I await photo evidence, besides the recent-ish Barbie glass, haha.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:17 pm
Addicted

I have a sickness, and Randy knows this. So of course, He sent me the link to this topic.

Mug Tiles for SB (c/o Scarab Randoom) by jhateball, on Flickr

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Prototype

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:23 am
Side Dealer

i had a cool david bowie glass until my girlfriend put it in the dish washer. i think theres an avocado growing in it now.

phantomfauna wrote:
No...that's not all I got. Eat a three inch dick footlong you prick.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 am
Side Dealer

I'm glad to see you representing, Justin! And Matt, that Halloween Disney mug is to die for, absolutely jealous of that. My girlfriend dreams of a Halloween Disney vacation, but I'm not yet convinced (unless we're talking Tokyo :lol: ).

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:13 am
Mini Boss

my wife bought this sweet glass that has milk in different languages all over it.
i couldn't find a stock photo of it online, so here's a picture i took of it a while back, sorta.
by the way, i LOVE milk.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

Great thread! I will need to take some pictures soon. I used to collect pint glasses and I was upwards near 100 or so. I finally had to let some some go so I got rid of the dupes. Then there's the belgian glasses, barware, etc. I also used to collect shot glasses. A bunch of them broke in the move. :cry:

Edit: Here's some quick shots. Please excuse the disorganization, we're still figuring out where everything should go from the move. Once everything is put in order, I will take proper shots.

Currently I have 44 pint glasses, 32 shot glasses, 18 wine and 6 champagne. Forgot to nab a pic of Grandma's crystal. :oops:

And then there's the bar.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 am
Side Dealer

Damn Jeff - that's a lot of heavy fragile boxes to move! My favorite part about the bar pic is the Mario Kart Wii :)
Funny you should mention "Grandma's crystal," as Anna was prompting me to add pics of her inherited crystal to the thread, but I haven't shot the pics just yet. In the meantime, here's some of her Muppet jars:

And my 2 main mugs which I use for much more than coffee - pretty much everything but rootbeer goes in these:

The weird tall & skinny one on the right I picked up about 10 years ago in an antique mall with my grandma, but I have NO clue about it's origin. I've only ever found one other photo online of another mug matching it, but it had no description and the uploader never replied to my questions about it. Shortly after we started dating, Anna gifted me the fat & short mug on the left, as a "just in case something bad ever happens to your favorite mug, and I'm at fault" kinda Christmas gift :|

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 pm
Super Deformed

That tall Vader looks so wistful! Also reminds me of a dog portrait.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm
Super Deformed

Got a couple Jonathan Adler mugs when we got married:

And still have a rainbow melamine set of mugs from when I was a kid:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 pm
Prototype

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:56 am

Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:04 am
Mini Boss

this thread got me excited to dig out my glassware boxes. here is my loot, most of which is leftover from my childhood (and apparently my parents were die-hard promo glass buyers, since my sister and i each of have a set)...

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:43 pm
Addicted

Those Battlestar Gallactica and Looney Toons ones are great.

I have a teriffic Daffy Duck glass stored away someplace and a set of 4 Batman mugs from the early 90's from McDonald's if I remember correctly. If I can find them, I'll take photos. Oh, yeah, I also have a set of 4 Return of the Jedi glasses from way back. Gotta find that stuff.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm
Vintage

---NT--- wrote:
Got a couple Jonathan Adler mugs when we got married:
And still have a rainbow melamine set of mugs from when I was a kid:

I don't want to burst your childhood memory bubble, but it looks like those might not be just any melamine mugs, but Massimo Vignelli (a prominent designer). These are probably the later Heller period made in the US though I am guessing. Nice set.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:02 am
Super Deformed

ultrakaiju wrote:
I don't want to burst your childhood memory bubble, but it looks like those might not be just any melamine mugs, but Massimo Vignelli (a prominent designer). These are probably the later Heller period made in the US though I am guessing. Nice set.

Why would that burst my bubble? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were made by a prominent designer - my parents, dad especially, was/is very into nice, well designed household items. I looked for some sort of makers mark on the bottoms but found nothing.
Thanks for the name - I'll have to check him out!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:02 am
Vintage

Here's one I picked up on a recent trip featuring Ultraman and his classic nemesis. Haven't had the chance to break it in yet, but in my dorm room it is just as likely to be filled with scotch as with coffee. (Okay, before everyone rips me apart, that's a joke, I am a purist and would avoid this whenever possible) :wink:

flickr part [2] part [3]

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:08 am