ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Tech stuff, Movies, Music...anything but toys.
Post a reply

Big Man Japan

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Anyone seen this?

Be sure you watch the trailer (link below). Looks like it could be good.

Summary: "A middle-aged slacker living in a rundown, graffiti-ridden slum, Daisato’s job involves being shocked by bolts of electricity that transform him into a stocky, stick-wielding giant several stories high who is entrusted with defending Japan from a host of bizarre monsters. But while his predecessors were national heroes, he is a pariah among the citizens he protects, who bitterly complain about the noise and destruction of property he causes. And Daisato has his own problems -an agent insistent on branding him with sponsor advertisements, an Alzheimer-afflicted grandfather who transforms into a giant in dirty underwear, and a family who is embarrassed by his often cowardly exploits. A wickedly deadpan spin on the giant Japanese superhero, BIG MAN JAPAN is an outrageous portrait of a pathetic but truly unique hero."

Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/bigmanjapan/

Re: Big Man Japan

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:15 pm

hahahah...Hitoshi Matsumoto. I didn't recognize him with hair. Awesome :)

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:47 pm

This movie is way old-came out in 2007, where you been? i saw it exactly a year ago in the US. haha

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:39 pm

I saw it at NYCC, it was pretty fun...the end was odd.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Same here...saw it about a year ago. It was really not as good as I was hoping, yet very quirky and still entertaining. Some bizarre 'monsters' to be sure though...which is always good!

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:50 pm

I also saw this about a year ago...pretty good.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 pm

still not out on dvd

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:54 pm

I saw this a few weeks ago and I thought is was amazing. It is definitely worth checking out.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:14 pm

I actually really disliked the CGI monsters. I thought it really took away from the "believability" (is that a word?) of the story. Took me right out of it, hostly, but I did like the Mockumentary feel.

http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php? ... 7&p=259233
Here's the other thread for this.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:58 am

I only saw the thread, yeah the CGI makes it look like something I will not watch.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 pm

This came out on DVD last week. Go rent or buy it!

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Man-Japan-Rik ... B0023BZ65S

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:47 pm

meczilla wrote:This came out on DVD last week. Go rent or buy it!

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Man-Japan-Rik ... B0023BZ65S

It came in the mail today, and I am about ready to sit down and watch!

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Was gonna buy this but it was sold out. Waiting for more to arrive.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:51 am

It's up on Netflix along with Toypunks vol 1...

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:02 am

I remember watching this in a full theatre and honestly that last scene almost had me pissing my pants. This movie is excellent. Super stoked for Symbol, Matsumoto's next feature yet the trailer doesnt reveal anything about this movie except it includes many naked cherub statues. Sign me up.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Jobber wrote:Super stoked for Symbol, Matsumoto's next feature yet the trailer doesnt reveal anything about this movie except it includes many naked cherub statues.

The teaser is insane, very curious about that! Still haven't seen DAINIPPONJIN although the DVD has been sitting on my shelf for over two months now... :?

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:56 am

I saw this a couple of days ago on DVD. I was sorely disappointed. The mockumentary aspect was very well done. It really felt like a real documentary. Moreso than most mockumentaries, anyway. The monster battles, which is what I was looking forward to the most, totally sucked. The only interesting monsters were the first one (Strangulation monster) and the red devil one. The end of the film literally left me saying "What the fuck? What did I just watch? What just happened?"

That's my two cents.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna have to join the "meh crowd" with this.
I was expecting for it to be more fun and a bit quicker paced.

The CGI really kills it for me as well. I know how that was going to be from the trailer, but I thought I could handle it. :?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:54 pm

I finally saw this and was impressed enough to watch it over a few times. In fact, the more you watch it the more it starts to make sense. I love everything about this flick, and wondered if there's been any word on vinyl monsters? I can't find anything.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:26 pm

seriously? You watched it repeatedly?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Oh yeah! I had to because I was totally bewildered by it, especially the ending. Once I got past that it isn't a kaiju flick per se, I found it to be really compelling. Also, I've recently seen "Monster X Strikes Back" which is the real turkey of a kaiju comedy. Not funny, or cool, so I was ready for Big Man to suck just as bad. Instead, I though it was brilliant.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Wait, shouldn't it be "Big Japanese Man?"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Big Japanese man doesn't make use of that sweet end rhyme coupling though!!

:| :|

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 am

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/matsumoto-hitoshis-dai-nipponjin-getting-hollywood-remake

Get yer b*tch on.

edit: B¦tch comes up as I FART A LOT. Which isn't really that funny if I'm honest.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:29 pm

thread necro. i was looking for titles to add to my instant queue and came across this.

thankfully netflix has the subtitled version, enjoying it so far despite the less than stellar cgi sequences.
Post a reply