ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Tech stuff, Movies, Music...anything but toys.
Post a reply

Re: Sick of Star Wars

Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:33 pm

Just finished the original trilogy with my 9 year old daughter, getting her ready for the new film.

3 reactions stuck with me,

first, the news that Darth Vader was related to Luke. She seemed completely unfazed, I asked her after if she wasn't even a little surprised... nope, because Vader was obviously lying.

Second, her wtf face at the cg band scene at Jabba's palace. Doesn't matter if you haven't seen the unmastered version or not, it just plainly doesn't fit.

Lastly was that final scene when Vader's spirit joins Yoda and Obi-Wan, she just turned to me and said 'だれ?' basically 'who's that?'. It always seemed daft messing with the original, but I'd never considered how out of place Christian Haydenson mug would be for someone who hadn't seen the prequels. The viewing order surely has to be 4,5,6,1,2,3, or you're missing out on a lot of surprises (whether you believe them or not!), so how would you know who he was?

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:17 am

Honestly Brian (and to anyone else reading this), as much as I might have issues with the prequels - and I am sure I have mentioned this upteenth times already in all likelihood - anyone revisiting, or, especially for those who are watching for the first time like your daughter, the original trilogy, really just needs to skip all the versions out there on various current media and track down the De-specialized versions from Harmy. (I can provide more info for anyone that wants it). You won't get a better version, let alone in any kind of HD or format compatible for viewing on today's televisions, elsewhere. It is truly the way the movies were meant to be seen and enjoyed. And un-messed with with all that extra stuff (like the CG you mentioned); because YES, it really does not fit. For fans and the general population, I feel the OT gets a bad shake because a lot of current generations have not even seen it the way we all remember. And that is not something I want to keep going on in the future.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:43 am

mondocoyote wrote:...first, the news that Darth Vader was related to Luke. She seemed completely unfazed, I asked her after if she wasn't even a little surprised... nope, because Vader was obviously lying...
Just the standard I am your father declaration left her unfazed, or are you referring to some later futzing that I'm not aware of?

o

Fell asleep with the TV on and woke up to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up-8GvTlw2o
Serves me right.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:16 am

when I watched ESB with my boy (4) the 'I'm your father' scene hit him like a ton of bricks ... It was more Lukes reaction to the news ... he was in tears about it.

I never bothered to watch ROTJ remixed - are you serious they replaced anakin with the prequel kid ?

So glad I only have the originals

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:46 am

Well I am glad to hear that the Vader 'reveal' still has as much pull with younger audiences today. Still makes ESB stand right up there with the best.
scobot wrote:I never bothered to watch ROTJ remixed - are you serious they replaced anakin with the prequel kid ?
Alas, would that it were not so. :x Sebastian Shaw is no doubt looking down with a great frown (and rightfully so) on that one.

Makes it worse that there is really no justification for doing so either. He is clearly much 'older' as Vader than Anakin looked pre-transformation, even if you buy into the prequels. PLUS, it already shows him unmasked at the end of ROTJ, so at best it is completely confusing, and at worst a direct insult to fans and the actors alike.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:48 pm

If only "I am your father" stopped there. Star Wars incestuousness (almost literally in the case of "I am your brother") went amok after that. I mean honestly, Anakin built C3P0? :roll:

As much as I'm expecting to love TFW, I strongly suspect there's more "I am your..." to come.

scoot wrote:I never bothered to watch ROTJ remixed - are you serious they replaced anakin with the prequel kid ?

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:08 am

Encountered on a walk today:

Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:29 am

Great ones! See, that is exactly the kind of fun, but not saturating, taste of SW I like to see. I am completely sold, I would definitely walk in for a haircut.

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:20 pm

I dunno, is that haircutting technique safe? This young lady looks somewhat apprehensive.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:52 am

:P

For the uninformed:

Source

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDZb2JG6jo

Chris Cunningham Star Wars video.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Kinda tame for Chris Cunningham. I would have preferred Darth Vader in 'Come To Daddy'.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifblf6QA2x0

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:22 am

Those barber shop paintings are awesome!

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:27 am

Writes itself, the joke does.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:30 am

I'm so sick of Star Wars that when my wife was telling my kid she needs to watch the movies, my kid responded by asking, "Isn't Darth Vader the guy with the bad haircut and pointy ears?"

As a responsible, caring and vigilant parent, I did not bother to correct her. (Much to my wife' dismay)

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:24 pm

toothaction wrote:Image
Writes itself, the joke does.

Oh man! Talk about... Low hanging fruit ;)

The star wars branding this year has been absurd from water to produce?? Its just unnecessary and this is comig from the kid who collected the mt dew and pepsi cans from when the prequels came out...

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:54 pm

:wink:

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:42 pm

itsa_mia wrote::wink:

dude, bahahahaha!
that is so spot on.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:12 am

Lalo wrote:dude, bahahahaha!
that is so spot on.

Especially the dude with the glass display case..... oh... wait a minute.....

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:09 am

Biff wrote:
Lalo wrote:dude, bahahahaha!
that is so spot on.

Especially the dude with the glass display case..... oh... wait a minute.....

It's too close for comfort... :lol:

"AWESOME!"

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Come to think of it, "Glass Detolf" could easily have been a prequel character name...

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:15 pm

Toys in glass case that I rarely touch....ummm what was the question? :oops:

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Lixx wrote:Toys in glass case that I rarely touch....ummm what was the question? :oops:

i thought to myself: where can i get a case like that and how much does it cost?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:31 pm

^ haha :wink:
Post a reply