ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Sick of Star Wars 
Addicted

Post Re: Sick of Star Wars
Very nice Ben. :D Young Kyle MacLachlan would make an excellent stand-in for Leia, no doubt.

Your first love and your last love is toy love.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:46 pm
Toy Prince

So I'm thinking this is the best place to ask this. What are some SW toy Grails?
I have a very close friend getting married this year, and he loves Star Wars with a fiery passion. I was thinking I may want to drop some cash on a rare/vintage toy as a wedding gift. I mean, really, who the fuck needs a fondue pot??
So any guidance, or whatever would be greatly appreciated! I know this is going to get me shit but I probably shouldn't spend over $300 on it, as I want to get his fiancee a comparable collectable type thing.
Whatcha got!?

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Vintage

$300 is a hefty budget, even for something as collectible as Star Wars. That being said though, it might help a little to know more about his area of collecting, specifically, if you can find out. For instance, there are some who collect only the toys, other who want only memorabilia, some who want only OT stuff, others who dig it all, etc. Just trying to get some more info to narrow it down a bit. I can offer some personal recommendations, but everyone is going to be a little different, so before shelling out tons best to get something select, knowwhatImean? :) I know a lot of SOs would probably love to drop some serious cash on a vinyl toy for some board members for example, but a 300$ toy would cover something that means a lot of different things to varying tastes on the board.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:24 pm
Mini Boss

If you don't buy him a vintage Kenner Yak Face, you're a shitty friend.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:47 pm
Mini Boss

It's tricky buying vintage for a collector if you don't know specifically what he's after. People always mean well, but if you're, say, only into top condition items, or if you have a Luke Jedi focus, it can be awkward getting a carded ROTJ Wicket with condition issues.

One idea would be to go a bit peripheral and get a non-toy vintage SW item, like a Sigma teapot.

There's also the infamous 3PO tape dispenser, but that might be more of a bachelor party gift than a wedding gift. ;)

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:24 pm
Vintage

Roger wrote:
If you don't buy him a vintage [C9.5+ carded] Kenner Yak Face, you're a shitty friend.
I believe that is what you meant. :P

Hahaha, all excellent suggestions in fact. Glad to see a few folks on here with the 'creative' SW bug. :) It can be a bit tricky, especially if you don't know what he has already, but I also think this is a fantastic idea, and as a SW I can probably say it is a safe bet that any gift such as this would be a thrill to receive. And definitely much more appreciated than the 'standard' registry fare.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:10 pm
Team Tsubu

Hey Doc - I like Andy's Idea a lot, but as Steve said you never know what will will float a particular obsessive's boat.

Is your friend hep to what's been going on in the modern soft vinyl world? A care package of Star Case goodies or the Medicom vintage-style dollies that BearModel has been sculpting up might a nice surprise for him.

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:44 am
Toy Prince

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Roger wrote:
If you don't buy him a vintage Kenner Yak Face, you're a shitty friend.
Haha shitty friends make the world go 'round!

You're right, I should probably probe for more info, maybe hit up his fiancee.. I know he's freaked out about finding specific vintage posters, and other memorabilia, but he also has a love for toys, a commonality we share, so I was thinking something from the toy world. Its been awhile since I've seen his collection. Funny how that happens, they get engaged and you don't see them nearly as often as you once did..
That Sigma teapot is pretty amazing, and even slightly appropriate for a wedding gift.. but I think something less wedding appropriate is what Im looking for. Something he'll shit his nerd pants over. He does cosplay as Han Solo occasionally, so something in the Han Solo, Millennium Falcon range of the.. galaxy.. may be good.
As for soft vinyl, he's not really into it, or he doesn't get the appeal. I have considered some of the Star Case figures, but they don't seem his style.
Anybody know of some secret handshake I can use to find some secret SW marketplace?

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Some creeper grabs from his IG about stuff he's recently acquired and was excited about, if this helps at all:

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

From those three, I'd say his collection is random and maybe a bit all over the place, but the two constants are all three have the original boxes, and none are figures. Personally I'd go for something special and unique that stands out - not, say, a B-Wing to go with an Y-Wing, since there are a million out there, and his collection is probably really big. So something standard may get lost in the shuffle.

$300 won't buy a SW grail anymore, but if you scour Ebay for vintage stuff, you'll find lots of cool things that are off the radar, interesting, and affordable. Best bet is to use your eye and go with something you think he'd like.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:57 pm
Vintage

You know, it is a pity you couldn't make a trip up the coast, as I have something that would actually work pretty well for this I think, and wouldn't mind parting with it, as I need the space and funds.

The latest purchases are a help, as it seems he might be more of a traditionalist collector, i.e. focused more towards vintage and toys.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:40 pm
Toy Prince

Thanks guys! I asked his fiancee what some of his grails may be, she hasn't gotten back to me yet but I'll keep you posted, so we can talk about how impossible they'll be!

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Vintage

Not that it needs me to add in to any of the hype, but for those not 'in the know' or who just follow SW on the periphery, or are slightly aware of the collectables market, this is a recent article from a couple days ago by Jordan Zakarin that highlights some pieces of one of my own personal obsession areas with Star Wars collecting, bootlegs. I cannot get enough of it. Anyway, thought I might share a little for interest's sake here. It has exploded in price (and demand) in recent years though.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/these-craz ... 55132.html

Unfortunately, the article is just posted on Yahoo, so you have to put up with a lot of extraneous and horrible stuff that takes away from the enjoyment of the read, so apologies for that. Worth it though, if you are willing to be patient and can cut out the noise.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:01 pm
S7 Royalty

If you decide to use your budget for putting together a clutch of nice vintage goods for him, the Ralph McQuarrie portfolio set from ESB might be a great to include. This is a set of oversize concept art prints from 1980; seems complete sets in really good shape can be had for decent prices ($100 - $125) on eBay. I got a set when they came out and absolutely treasured them as a kid. My perception of them is that they seem to be underknown and perhaps underappreciated, these days... but I could be way off-base on that.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:41 pm
Vintage

Excellent suggestion Mike. I had a very similar experience with my Portfolio. I think, for many years, it remained my most treasured SW item, and is still right up there with the best, rarity and price be darned. I don't think it quite fits the 'grail' status maybe he has in mind, but everyone should definitely have one, and it is a safe bet even non-Star Wars nuts would appreciate the incredible art. I don't know how the prices are these days, there has been a certain resurgence in things "McQuarrie" recently, with some toy nods (e.g. see the latest Super7 jumbo), the revival of Topps SW cards, his passing, and of course the new film. Anyways, something to keep an eye out for, for sure.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:26 pm
Side Dealer

phantomfauna wrote:
No...that's not all I got. Eat a three inch dick footlong you prick.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:00 am
Toy Prince

Thanks guys! I'll definitely add the Ralph McQuarrie portfolio to the list of possibilities! He does buy a lot of prints, so Im sure he'd be stoked! If he doesn't already have it. His fiancee hasn't gotten back to me about what some of his grails may be. Good thing I still have awhile to figure this out!

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Just saw the new movie last night. Enjoyed it, but still kinda meh...

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Team Tsubu

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1pn4bTAQWA
This 'prolly should have been posted back in October. Silly us.

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:03 am
Super Deformed

Local graffiti . . .

I love mankind, it's people I can't stand - Charles M. Schulz

blingaling wrote:
I'm still in the "everything is shiny and I want it all" phase

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:07 am
Team Tsubu

"I didn't know Harrison Ford did impressions? His Carol Channing was terrific!"

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:45 pm
Team Tsubu

Aged to perfection.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:25 pm
Addicted

3PO looks like he's got a taste of the dark side!

Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Team Tsubu

Dean wrote:
toothaction wrote:
Now do thee squirm in the uncomfortable silence of Star Wars without John Williams’ score:

Mo' minus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9WVDvVd0E
auralnauts

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:19 pm
Side Dealer

^ so much better!

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next