ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Tech stuff, Movies, Music...anything but toys.
Post a reply

Re: Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch R.I.P.

Fri May 04, 2012 1:32 pm

RIP.

Fri May 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Makes me sad...I grew up listening to the Beastie Boys and still listen to them almost every single day..the music industry and the world just lost a true Legend!

Fri May 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Merde.
That's fucked up.
RIP :cry:

Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 pm

jebcrow wrote:
apeboy wrote:First gig I ever saw was the beastie boys licensed to ill tour, fond memories of a great gig.

not sure if the line-up was the same on the entire tour....but the opening dates in nyc & philly were truly weird for that time in the 80s...

public enemy - relatively unknown first act (bum rush the show was just about to be released)
then,,,murphy's law
then,,,the beastie boys...

i saw it at the spectrum in philly,,,lots of fights went down,,,a bad mix of jocks/suburban kids (for the beasties),,,punk/skin hardcore kids (for murphys law) and real deal inner city rap fans (for PE)

Jeb, I was probably at the same show. I saw them before this time when they opened for Madonna.

Fri May 04, 2012 2:56 pm

So sad to heard this, Paul's boutique is my all time B-boys album, I was also lucky to see them in the Hello nasty tour in LA

Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 pm

I was hoping this was some sort of sick joke. RIP Adam, the world is now a lot less Dope.

Fri May 04, 2012 6:34 pm

I remember being in grade school when the first album came out. Very sad news. Rest in peace.

Fri May 04, 2012 6:37 pm

jebcrow wrote:
apeboy wrote:First gig I ever saw was the beastie boys licensed to ill tour, fond memories of a great gig.

not sure if the line-up was the same on the entire tour....but the opening dates in nyc & philly were truly weird for that time in the 80s...

public enemy - relatively unknown first act (bum rush the show was just about to be released)
then,,,murphy's law
then,,,the beastie boys...

i saw it at the spectrum in philly,,,lots of fights went down,,,a bad mix of jocks/suburban kids (for the beasties),,,punk/skin hardcore kids (for murphys law) and real deal inner city rap fans (for PE)

That last sentence pretty much describes my bike ride to/from work. Philly never changes. RIP, MCA.

Fri May 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Sick to the stomach when I heard this...their last show in Australia was to be their first ever show I was to see and I ended up in hospital the day before for a month...that was two years ago.
Can't believe it.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:48 pm

this news has affected more than i would've thought.... so many memories. i took my 12 year old brother to see the beasties for his first concert in '92. what a sad day... namaste, adam.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 pm

dustbin12 wrote:this news has affected more than i would've thought.... so many memories. i took my 12 year old brother to see the beasties for his first concert in '92. what a sad day... namaste, adam.

I was never a fan of the music, but he always seemed like a good guy.
Other than his work for Tibet; the Beasties were one of the few bands to apologize for the homophobic and misogynistic lyrics in their earlier works. Not because they came under fire, but because they grew as humans and realized that that shit was toxic.

I just read a twitter post where someone appropriately said "RIP: Reincarnate in Peace".

Fri May 04, 2012 11:39 pm

so sad :(
love that O EE O its sabotage (full blast of course)
so many classic iconic songs
such an impact on the world they've made

Sat May 05, 2012 12:47 am

So sad. Thought his battle w/ cancer was over. Guess it is always lurking once you get it. Remember the music & help find the cure.

Sat May 05, 2012 1:39 am

I'm such a huge fan, it has been a day for reflection.
Used to keep extra batteries in my backpack for my Sony sports Walkman cause I had Liscenced to ILL on repeat all day.
On a side note, they were one of the best groups to see live. Saw them with Bad Brains in '93 I think? And house of pain in '94 or so? don't quote me.

Sat May 05, 2012 1:48 am

Just woke up to this sad news. RIP MCA.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 am

a tribute to mca:

sabotage reimagined

Tue May 15, 2012 1:54 pm

I love it when something wads up my cynicism and tosses it into the wastebasket! Thanks for the happy share, Bill.

Fri May 20, 2016 9:48 pm

I just learned that founding member of the Beastie Boys, John Berry, has passed away. While people might not be as familiar with him, as he was in the early hardcore punk variation of the band, he was the guitarist for the group (later replaced by Adam Horovitz after their first EP) and has been credited with coming up with the band's name. It was during this period where the band played a supporting act for groups such as Bad Brains, the Dead Kennedys, the Misfits, and Reagan Youth. Berry had been quite ill for some time, but still quite sad news.

John Berry, founding Beastie Boys member, dead at 52

Berry shown above, second from right, along with early drummer Kate Schellenbach, Adam Yauch, and Mike Diamond.
Post a reply