ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Tech stuff, Movies, Music...anything but toys.
Post a reply

Guillermo del Toro's Kaiju Vs. Robots Movie

Wed May 23, 2012 9:41 pm

http://io9.com/5912836/godzilla-%252B-v ... acific-rim

this seems waaaay too good to be true.

Re: Guillermo del Toro's Kaiju Vs. Robots Movie

Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 pm

i've been out of the del toro loop since not getting green lighted for at the mountains of madness.

this sounds great!

Wed May 23, 2012 11:08 pm

I am still pissed about the loss of At the Mountains of Madness. Hopefully this will make up for that in some small way. I hope they don't disappoint us.

Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 pm

I have high expectations!!!

I am rather glad they canceled Mountains of Madness.
I just do not think you can make a good movie out of this book.

Wed May 23, 2012 11:57 pm

You can't go wrong with Guillermo!!!! HELL BOY will be my childrens "star wars" and Pans Labrynth" their "Shawshank"

Totally off subject. I'm going to bust out "legend" tim currey as the devil. Best make up ever. Most impressive horns ever done!!!!

Thu May 24, 2012 9:48 am

^I like your sentiment, HHR, and fully agreed (esp. on Pan’s).

GDT said recently that his ATMoM project is all but dead; he basically implied that he is giving up the dream b/c of Prometheus. He feels that the plot of Prometheus is so closely similar that ATMoM would likely seem to the studio suits and the general public to be a retread riding Prometheus’ coattails. I was really looking forward to seeing GDT get a big budget to take on Lovecraft, but maybe it’s just not to be (unless he decides on another story). VERY excited for Pacific Rim!

Thu May 24, 2012 10:09 am

I saw the GDT quote on Wired "It’s really, it’s a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters."

Can't wait!

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:41 am

G D Torro wrote:"We had a Tokyo scene that we shot here in Toronto. We had several Hong Kong scenes and a few scenes in Australia, through the television. We briefly see the kaiju take over San Francisco. The whole Pacific Rim needs a sense of danger."
"We take the battles far and above! Two or three of them happen in places where there have never been a battle between kaiju and robots. From the bottom of the ocean to the atmosphere of the Earth. We have a battle in a storm at sea. Every battle we try to do differently. One is seen from the point of view of a single person. We never cut away from that point of view."

I am ready!

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 am

Trying not to get my hopes up - I'm always a little disappointed with his movies.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 am

This seems very relevant to my interests

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:38 am

holly shit I'm gonna get to go see movies next summer too? I'm not complaining but when did hollywood pull it's head out of it's ass and decide original quality films could be produced again? aside from harry potter movies before this summer I don't think I've seen a new movie in a theatre for a decade

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:05 pm

perfect material for del toro....gladly pay full price for this.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Same here. I like his work but find a lot of stuff to be let downs.

---NT--- wrote:Trying not to get my hopes up - I'm always a little disappointed with his movies.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Even if does turn out to be a letdown, I can say that I will definitely go see it opening week. I can't even remember the last movie I saw in theaters before Cabin in the Woods a couple of months ago.

But wait... Charlie Day is in it? Comic relief? Can he play a serious role?

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:30 am

Ohhhhhhh man! Can't wait to see some footage from this!

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 am

atom gray wrote:perfect material for del toro....gladly pay full price for this.

Ditto! Really looking forward to this.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 am

ButcherBrand wrote:
atom gray wrote:perfect material for del toro....gladly pay full price for this.

Ditto! Really looking forward to this.

i was excited about this until i saw that the writer also wrote 'clash of the titans'.

...should i still be excited?

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:38 am

Found this shot from the set of a damaged Tokyo.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:39 am

treblekicker wrote:i was excited about this until i saw that the writer also wrote 'clash of the titans'.
...should i still be excited?

No, cause what a Kaiju movie really needs is some deep, thoughtful, multi-layered story telling :wink:

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:15 am

I wanna see some monster concepts!

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:47 pm

from the facebook page

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:01 am

how come there's been no talk here about the new godzilla movie that was announced at the pacific rim panel?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 am

Ultra999 wrote:how come there's been no talk here about the new godzilla movie that was announced at the pacific rim panel?

Video excerpt from the panel discussion HERE. Sounds promising!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:11 am

I enjoyed "Monsters" and really hope Gareth Edwards can pull this off.

Anyone at the SDCC see the trailers for these?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:51 pm

phantomfauna wrote:I enjoyed "Monsters" and really hope Gareth Edwards can pull this off.

Anyone at the SDCC see the trailers for these?

Good question! the comments on IO9 are very promising . . .
Post a reply