ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Introductions 
Fresh Meat

Post Re: Introductions
boon velvet wrote:
we know from Glenn (Bad Teeth - Aussie soft vinyl artist) that there's little to no scene there. It's the same down here, as I've gotta be the only collector of such in town, but it's still not an absence from the entire country. Sooooo anyway, I look forward to seeing how your collection may evolve based on all of the new information at your fingertips...

I'll tell you 1 thing, you should Definitely schedule for the "Soft Vinyl Mayhem" exhibit in Brisbane next month (http://softvinylmayhem.com). It would be the perfect experience for you to see a good variety of these types of toys up close and perhaps make some new friendlies. Can't wait to have an experience like that for myself one day... Can I live vicariously through you? Will you where my webcam surrogate hat? ;)

Cheers man! Yeh I actually know Glenn ha ha, I've bought some stuff off him a couple times. He was the one who actually reccomended I join the forum. Man I'm absolutely kicking myself, I've picked one weekend in 9 months to head to Melbourne for a small holiday and its on the weekend of the show!! Can't frign believe it! I have another friend heading over though so I think we may both need to wire up to his secret hat cam haha.

I've booked in some tickets for Japan again in feb (third time now). Can't wait to go vinyl shopping. Wasn't much into collecting anything at all the first time I visited as I wasn't a collector at that time! But earlier this year I made my way over to Nakano and pretty much fell over - couldn't believe the amount of toys I found. Managed to spend about 4 hours in Nakano Broadway and took a stroll through a few cool stores such as Mandarake. Got myself my first gargamel deathra there. I almost grabbed a Mishka bootleg as well but was pretty pricy at the store I was at.

Anyways man, appreciate the welcome!

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:25 pm
Comment King

I hardly check this forum but for some reason I had the urge to today.. Glad to see another Aussie on the board!

Don't worry about Andy, he's had a run-in with just about everybody on SB.. for somebody who is so outspoken against designer toys I can't help but wonder how many "KidKozik" toys lie on that private instagram account... .. .. .. ..

Top 5 Toys - http://top5toys.blogspot.com
SVM - http://softvinylmayhem.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wants - http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=49396

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

badteethcomics wrote:
Don't worry about Andy, he's had a run-in with just about everybody on SB.. for somebody who is so outspoken against designer toys I can't help but wonder how many "KidKozik" toys lie on that private instagram account... .. .. .. ..

Not about being outspoken 'against' designer toys . . . more a matter of time and place!

Kinda like having an instagram account just for friends and family! You'd have zero interest in 90% of my pictures . . . and by the same token I wouldn't want to reciprocate and see my feed clogged up with a million lame wannabe sofubi riffs!

When was the last time you saw anyone selling a Kaws Astroboy on Skulldrain?

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:31 am
Comment King

Fair points 8)

Top 5 Toys - http://top5toys.blogspot.com
SVM - http://softvinylmayhem.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wants - http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=49396

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

Thank's ultrakaiju ,ok im not the only french here :)
Yeah true, no toy scene in France that mean no Con as well :/ the closer one is Toycon Uk, need to go there one day !!!

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:49 am
Toy Prince

Lixx wrote:
Anyhow coming to this forum and declaring your love for western toys and saying you're not overly crazy about kaiju and sofubi is kind of a slap in the face to members of this forum. Yes you did say you have a handful of Gargamel/Secret Base. I'd say that and future purchases (if any) should be your focus when visting here. If you're not sure about kaiju/sofubi, browse around, learn about all the different makers etc, otherwise it's a head scratch why you signed up?

Can't speak for anyone else, and I'm by no means an original member. My love for Balzac brought me here. I had ignored the toys for 10 years and then started doing Google searches on Skullmen which almost always brought me here. Then I noticed a lot of people from the Balzac forum posted here, so signing up was only natural.

But come on, it's no slap in the face if someone doesn't share your interests. I still collect Balzac figures and sometimes share that stuff here to virtually no interest. Many people here and in personal life don't like Balzac, and I'm not offended by that. And I'm not into kaiju. In a previous post, all I did was say, "I don't understand kaiju" and people's heads exploded left and right. Some people were cool, one let me come to their home to see their collection. It was spectacular. But I'm still not into it.

Instead of ripping up newbies for not sharing your interest, a better approach would be to utilize their interest in vinyl toys as way to introduce what you love about kaiju.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:14 pm
Mr. Grumpy™

moonbeams wrote:

Instead of ripping up newbies for not sharing your interest, a better approach would be to utilize their interest in vinyl toys as way to introduce what you love about kaiju.

Umm yeah what do you think I did for 7+ years by posting pics (until a few people thought it was cool to steal them and use them for lame sites), helping out new members by sharing info on how make purchases in Japan, using YJA , selling toys below cost, building databases here, always checking want lists before selling.....Guess all that makes me an asshole then?

BTW Balzac toys are eastern toys made in Japan. Sorry if I used kaiju and sofubi interchangeably and it caused some confusion for you.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Lixx wrote:
moonbeams wrote:

Umm yeah what do you think I did for 7+ years by posting pics (until a few people thought it was cool to steal them and use them for lame sites), helping out new members by sharing info on how make purchases in Japan, using YJA , selling toys below cost, building databases here, always checking want lists before selling.....Guess all that makes me an asshole then?

BTW Balzac toys are eastern toys made in Japan. Sorry if I used kaiju and sofubi interchangeably and it caused some confusion for you.

Apology accepted.

OK, I have a nagging question here. Common sense says that kaiju is dominant topic of interest on the board. But it is called Skull Brain, which I assumed is a homage to Secret Base's character? And this is run by S7 which has a working relationship with Secret Base? So I always thought this was a Secret Base fan forum that got overun by kaiju enthusiasts.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:40 pm
Vintage

:roll: cool

MOCKBATPOCALYPSE BATS/THRASHOUT

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:06 pm
Fresh Meat

Hi, I'm Jackson. I lack creativity in the online handle department. I recently have become more interested in learning about sofubi. I feel this is the best place to get my education. I hope to learn a lot from seasoned collectors here and eventually develop a shelf of beautiful vinyl toys.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:39 am
Fresh Meat

Hi my name is Trevor from Atlanta ga. I've recently became interested in toys and anytime I get interested in something I try to lean as much as I possibly can about it before I dive in. So basically I joined to learn more about sofubi. So far I have bought 1 toy and it's the medicom 72 reissue manga style devilman but I mostly bought that because I really love devilman and I feel that's a good place to start. So far I'm a big fan of monster worship, dehara yakuza and a lot of secret base stuff (really looking forward to the steve cab super 7 toy)... Also I really like the Mexican bootlegs the shitter the better. I doubt I'll do much posting unless I can't find an answer within the forum already (search feature works well). So thanx for the add.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:43 am
Super Deformed

Jackson wrote:
Hi, I'm Jackson.

Xtrevorx wrote:
Hi my name is Trevor.

^^ Welcome!

You are both in the right place for learning about Sofubi.
Like a lot of us here, you will probably start with just one shelf, but then you will need another . . . and another . . . and another.

I love mankind, it's people I can't stand - Charles M. Schulz

blingaling wrote:
I'm still in the "everything is shiny and I want it all" phase

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am
Fresh Meat

Hi everybody!

My name's Izzy. I've been a very frequent lurker for like, over a year now haha. I'm a cartoonist/art instructor by day, toy collector by night in Los Angeles. I have a fairly humble collection so far(compared to some of the unbelievably rad collections I've seen here) and I'm not much of a completionist so my stuff is a bit eclectic. I've always loved Godzilla since I was a little kid and I'd had only really heard of the term "sofubi" maybe one or twice in the past prior to stumbling upon you guys. When I came across this community I went "woah there's so many cool toys I've been missing out on!"

I mostly collect(so far) T9G, Tim Biskup and dragon/reptile-y looking sculpts. I also really enjoy m1go/bullmark, max toy co, and super7.

So yeah, cool to finally make an account here, nice to meet y'all.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:40 pm
Fresh Meat

Hi All!
From Brisbane, Australia. Well after many years of temptation i've finally been dragged into the rabbit hole.
pretty excited to learn a bit more and see how my collection develops.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:06 am
Toy Prince

Hi everybody!

The name's Isaac and I'm 31 years old.
Currently I reside in Los Angeles near LAX.
I started collecting vinyl art around 2 years ago and got introduced to this site by one of the boardies from the Kidrobot forum that goes by skaterboy. I created an SB account a while back but I wasn't into sofubi/kaiju until recently.
To be honest I'm more into what you guys call here the, "American Idols." Lol (I like that)
My collection is growing and I'd like to add a few more Skinner and Paul Kaiju pieces to it along the way. I'd also like to learn more about the whole scene and how it got started.

This is the first piece of sofubi goodness I ever owned and it was given to me by my fiancée for my birthday this year in February.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

Hey im Mike I live just outside of Detroit I kinda accidentally got into toy collecting because of the Super 7 Gorilla Biscuits toy when the glow in the dark one came out. After I got that thing ive been buying here and there every time I see something I like. Ive been a record collector for years mostly hardcore punk stuff.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:14 pm
Toy Prince

BISCUIT_POWER wrote:
Hey im Mike I live just outside of Detroit I kinda accidentally got into toy collecting because of the Super 7 Gorilla Biscuits toy when the glow in the dark one came out. After I got that thing ive been buying here and there every time I see something I like. Ive been a record collector for years mostly hardcore punk stuff.

Hi Mike!

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:14 pm
Fresh Meat

Hi everyone,

My name is Tavis, on IG as tavi_q. I've been a collector of vinyl toys for a little over a decade. Ever since the scene exploded in the bay area(where I live) with kidrobot, super seven, giant robot and I believe we used to have a rotofugi store here too. I then spent a good five years broke and so my toy collection didn't really do much. Recently I got a bit of a promotion and have gotten back into the vinyl toy scene with a vengeance. Back in the day my collection mainly consisted of Gary Baseman and Tim Biskup. Both of whom I still love like crazy. And I bought a lot of [expletive deleted]'s and ugly dolls. Now a days, I'm into(like most people on SB) MVH, Paul Kaiju, Splurrt and Skinner. I love love love those guys, but man is it hard to pick up pieces by them. I've also really gotten into a lot of the Japanese toy makers, Elegab, Karz Works, Pico Pico, Monstock and Yamomark. In the last five months my collection has quadrupled in size. I've gone nuts. Living off of pb&j just so I can get another exclusive that I need to enter a lottery to win. Ha ha. I love this freaking scene!

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:44 am
Line of Credit

Toys over food?..

A real toy collector indeed. :D

Welcome, Tavis.

"The secret of happiness is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less."
--
Socrates, not a toy collector.

SELLING: - - -
TRADING: - - -
WANTING: the Good / the Bad / & Plenty of the Ugly!

Now In INSTACOLOR: @boonvelvet

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:44 pm
Die-Cast

taviq wrote:
Now a days, I'm into(like most people on SB) MVH, Paul Kaiju, Splurrt and Skinner.

OUCH!

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:51 pm
Fresh Meat

Hi everyone,

I'm Hannah. I've been collecting toys for a few years now and have slowly been drifting more and more towards sofubi. I'm a fan of Cometdebris, Dehara Yukinori, Refreshment Toy, RealxHead, Chima group and Uamou.

I thought joining the forum was a good way of learning more about what other sofubi goodness is out there for me to add to my shelf.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:47 pm
Fresh Meat

First i want to give thanks to James TiredChildren for accepting me in this forum.

My name is Wijaya from Indonesia, I just started collecting sofubi about 1 year ago, i like the design of MVH, Dehara Yukinori, and some sofubi made by Medicom Toy.

Hope i can know more about sofubi and other designer toy by joining Skullbrain.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:50 am
Side Dealer

Welcome folks, love the avatar Hannah.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:39 pm
S7 Royalty

Yuck!!! wrote:
Welcome folks, love the avatar Hannah.

Egg

WANTED:
BUTANOHANA / Gargamel

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:05 pm
Team Tsubu

It's as Ann as the nose on Plain's face.

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next