ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Introductions 
Fresh Meat

Post Re: Introductions
Hey everyone,
My name is Colin and I'm from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada. I have been interested in and collected toys my entire life. I really got into the designer vinyl scene about 6 or 7 years ago with Kidrobot products such as [expletive deleted] and other blind boxes (Futurama, cuz its the greatest show ever made) and then started expanding into other designer vinyl. Within the last year or so I got my first sofubi figure and basically fell in love with Japanese vinyl. I know that I am relatively new to the scene, but I think I have a decent amount of knowledge and appreciation for it already. Where I live, I have never met another person who even knows what a vinyl toy is or what sofubi is. It's kind of a bummer because I can never talk to anyone in person about how awesome this stuff is or share my excitement. Most people, family included, just roll their eyes when I mention toys. My girlfriend is the only other person that encourages it and she even bought some of her own figures after seeing mine. Hopefully I can join some threads here and talk about these amazing pieces of art that are vinyl toys.

My old instagram account was Carabinx, but I have recently made a new account under Kylo_Rendar, so please follow me to see my collection and in return I will follow you to see yours. Instagram has been a huge part of finding artists and toys that I really enjoy so I use it quite a bit.

Thanks for reading this overly long introduction.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:16 pm
Vintage

Welcome to the forum Colin, it is always great to see some new members here, especially other 'northerners. Definitely not too many Bluenosers around, or at least active, so that is extra cool. So whereabouts in Cape Breton are you from? I completely get the feeling of not having anything local, and it does make it hard at times. The internet makes things a lot easier these days. The board is a great place to connect with a lot of like-minded individuals, an incredible library of information on Japanese toys, and, once you get used to it, such an amazing community to be a part of. Take a look around, dive randomly into the various subforums (it can be a little overwhelming at first), read and check out the pics, and just enjoy yourself. Heck, get the GF on here too if she is into it. :P Don't be afraid to ask questions; despite our reputation, we are generally very helpful folks. You might want to start out in the Show Your Collection threads, I know how a collection can build up in seven years! Are you into any particular makers right now, and what brought you in? Anyways, welcome.

And sorry for the overly long welcome. :mrgreen: JK, write more if you like. So much better than the usual "+1"s and "PMed".

flickr part [2] part [3]

Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:43 pm
Site Admin

PM'd

TiredChildren Design
To Write Love on Her Arms (My Day Job)

Trades / Unpainted PK Wants / Micro Wants / Wishlist

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:31 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

flickr part [2] part [3]

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:18 am
Super Deformed

Carabinx wrote:
Where I live, I have never met another person who even knows what a vinyl toy is or what sofubi is.

Carabinx wrote:
Most people, family included, just roll their eyes when I mention toys.

Yep & Yep.

Welcome to SB, mate. You are among friends . . . mostly :wink:

I love mankind, it's people I can't stand - Charles M. Schulz

blingaling wrote:
I'm still in the "everything is shiny and I want it all" phase

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:43 am
Fresh Meat

smurph wrote:
xTehxWizardx wrote:
Hey all,

Fairly new vinyl/vintage monster toy junkie from MD. My name is Jeff. I've only been collecting for about a year now. It started with re-collecting Monster In My Pocket figures that I had as a kid and just spread from there via Instagram friends/followers/feeds.

Welcome to the bored, Jeff. I know you from IG (and our fondness of Broad City), but had no clue you're from my neck of the woods. A good handful of MD collectors have been popping up recently... good stuff! Might have to try and organize a local toy nerd meet-up sometime in the near future :)

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this! Do it! I'm not sure if @HonkeyLips is on here but I bet he'd be into it too!

Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:19 am
Vintage

hmmm

MOCKBATPOCALYPSE BATS/THRASHOUT

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:56 pm
Fresh Meat

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ray! I live in Los Angeles and I recently (as in the past 2 months) just got into collecting sofubi but i've known about it for quite a while now. I'm into a lot of different kinds of sofubi as well. I go to a lot of metal and hardcore/punk shows so if you happen to go to any in LA, let's meet up and hangout.

My instagram is disturbedpushpitter so follow me if you want!

Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:02 pm
Fresh Meat

ultrakaiju wrote:
So whereabouts in Cape Breton are you from?

I'm from Sydney. Where in Canada are you from?

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:36 pm
Fresh Meat

Thanks for the welcome Ultrakaiju. Its probably gonna take me a bit to figure all of this out. I'm still figuring out the basics on just how to post a pic lol.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:38 pm
Fresh Meat

Hello everyone,

New to this fantastic forum, just started collecting mini bullmarks after a trip to Japan, im a UK based full time toy dealer myself but mainly dealing in british and european diecast, some action figures and of course robots! I couldn't help but fall in love with pretty much every toy i saw in Japan but decided to start with mini bullmarks, i'm sure i will be persuaded onto other things! will post a few pics in the mini bullmark topic later :mrgreen:

Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:33 am
Addicted

Welcome! I was a robot collector for many years before starting on vinyls (still am, but slowed down considerably when I shifted my focus). It easy to get sucked into this genre. I started off pretty focused too, but quickly started collecting all sorts of stuff. Now I have to store most of my stuff (no room to display them all). Ugh!

Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

Welcome djkemp! Definitely great to see some more people here who came this way through vintage toys. The mini Bullmarks are such an excellent place to start - super vintage toys but still relatively affordable, and, as an extra little benefit, easier to display too! :) Even better that you got into them through firsthand experience in Japan. So you do have a brick-n-mortar type shop, or is it just online sourcing of 'other toys?'

flickr part [2] part [3]

Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:02 am
Side Dealer

I sometimes tell myself I could start a separate vintage collection of just mini Bullmarks, but I know it would be a bad idea (financially) if I ever did.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:22 pm
Mr. Grumpy™

Vintage= blessing and curse all in one. Great, because you get all these cool toys with history behind them, unique crude sculpts- even bootlegs of those sculpts. Horrific because your bank account will be completely depleted! It's like peeling layers back on an onion, there's always something more underneath and you'll be crying over it soon enough!

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

Hi Everybody. New to this group. My name is Todd and I've been collecting stuff my whole life (49 years). I have some vinyl pieces, newer and vintage along with comics, toys, James Bond, the list is endless. I collect what I like and not to invest or whatever. That has sucked some of the soul out of collecting. I am a graphic designer and was in the print industry a long time until that sort of busted. Now I work for a collectibles auction company in York, Pennsylvania and put together their catalog and do some marketing and whatever else needs done. I've seen this board a few times and thought it would be helpful to connect to people and find new things. Plus it's cool to share stuff with like minded collectors. I'm a fan of artist Geof Darrow and have picked up some cool vinyl pieces from Shaolin Cowboy and Rusty the Boy Robot recently.
So thanks for reading, I'll gladly post some pics once I figure out that process.
Todd

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:06 pm
Fresh Meat

What's up. I've been reading stuff for a few years on these boards, but didn't actually get registered until last week. I collect real head stuff and random others like uamou and glyos figures. Just scored my first Koningu (excited) and I like astro unkotsu by goccodo. I wish toygraph was still around because the old space troopers are pretty awesome! I'm excited about the new Star Wars movie. Nuff said.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:14 am
Fresh Meat

Hello all!

43 year old Chinese guy from Hong Kong. I started collect sofubi toys since last year. Mainly collect Autopsy Babies of Miscreation Toys. Having my account activated to this board has opened my eyes for all the awesome figures and toys different companies have to offer, I´m glad I founded this forum.
Liking also very much the HS, MVH and other figures. I have been educated quite much just by browsing this forum. Thanks to all of you for this!

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:02 am
Comment King

welcome Johnson... is that your real name?

Selling

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:11 am
Fresh Meat

trueadrn wrote:
welcome Johnson... is that your real name?

Yes, Adrian! :)

Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:53 am
Fresh Meat

Hello folks

My name is Dan and I am one part of Unbox Industries.

I've been in the toy industry for nearly twenty years & worked for some real villains but managed to learn a little bit that helped me create our company.

We have been working with quite a few people that feature on Skullbrain so I thought it maybe be nice to drop in once and a while and answer any questions you may have regarding what we do.

Thanks

Dan

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:25 pm
Vintage

Welcome Dan. I am sure there will probably be a few people interested in seeing you on the forum - and maybe some raised eyebrows as well (heck, this is SB) - and I am sure you have lots of insight you can offer on this little area of collecting. Hopefully you can dig around here and maybe find a few things that might pique you own interests as well too.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:12 pm
Fresh Meat

Hey everyone
Brand new to the boards. My name is Sean, and I live in the Nashville TN area. Just started collecting about 6 months ago, starting with KR stuff, but quickly developed a love for Kaiju, Japanese vinyl, and older vinyl too.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:18 am
Comment King

pigwig67 wrote:
Hey everyone
Brand new to the boards. My name is Sean, and I live in the Nashville TN area. Just started collecting about 6 months ago, starting with KR stuff, but quickly developed a love for Kaiju, Japanese vinyl, and older vinyl too.

Good start, welcome to the board Sean!

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:44 am
Fresh Meat

Hi everyone my name is luke and im from Sydney Australia. Been a toy collector for about 7 years now and love the different styles an cultures of toys an its tight knit communitys. You can catch me on instagram under 5k1nna as well if you wanna check out my toy hoard. Cheers

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next