ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Tech stuff, Movies, Music...anything but toys.
Post a reply

Archive Sticker (stupid question)

Wed May 25, 2016 10:50 am

Hey folks, I would like to "catalog" my toys with their release dates, and it would be nice to pick up a figure with a sticker or a small label of some kind, which shows when the were released into the wild. Does anyone know of an "archival" type label material? Will the adhesive in regular avery-type labels discolor vinyl over the long term? Thank you for any help you can provide :P

p.s. paleontologists and mineralogist used to use a bit of white paint and then sharpie the info on their specimens, but I'd rather not go that route for toys :oops:

Re: Archive Sticker (stupid question)

Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 am

I don't know if this is something you are looking for but they do make those linen adhesives that are used for framing and book binding. They are acid free and do not yellow.

Wed May 25, 2016 11:18 am

Two suggestions:

Use a "camera" to capture an image of the specimen, print the resulting "photo", and then use the Sharpie Method at the bottom of the frame.

or

Take a plaster or alginate cast of each specimen, and then just scratch in the dates while the mold is drying.

:wink:

Wed May 25, 2016 11:19 am

You should hire chimply.kaiju to do your cataloging :P

Wed May 25, 2016 11:22 am

^ Gold star!

Wed May 25, 2016 12:19 pm

you want a non bleaching paper and a non corrosive adhesive. look for something archival.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:55 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Code-Writea ... val+labels

Wed May 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Wowzers! :D ^^^Platinum star for you! I can even color code :)
all dupes get a red label :D
Thanks everyone! :P

Wed May 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Mr. Humphreys wrote:... all dupes get sent to David and Steve :D ...
Fixed!

Wed May 25, 2016 1:40 pm

You, sir, have earned yourself an entire nebula.

HST image of the Ant Nebula

Wed May 25, 2016 6:15 pm

...if you can come up with enough force to reverse the gravitational pull on a black hole, they "might" be possible :wink:
Post a reply