ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Possible Solution to Bots/Flippers etc. 
Line of Credit

Post Re: Possible Solution to Bots/Flippers etc.
akum6n wrote:
JoeMan wrote:

So it's not fair to tell people to just buy toys that just aren't as nice or that they don't like as much, because they are just blinded by hype. Who wants to look at their collection and think I have a bunch of shit I just think is ok or is crap, but at least it was cheap and easy to get.

They are nice, but there are loads of other stuff out there that is just as nice, if you care to think and look.

This is why I'm happy I'm still very adamant about Obake Dogs and various fight figures. Hell, I've even been getting a little more into makers like Violence Toy, which carries the polar opposite of hype. But it is kind of shitty to smash on people that collect Paul Kaiju, MVH, Hirota, Blood Guts Toys, whatever other high profile maker. There's legitimacy in why those artists, and many others, are so sought after, and it's a shame to tear it down by simply dumbing it down to hype. Is there hype? Sure(in my opinion). But that's really only a small facet of collectors. I don't at all wanna push new people out, no way. I'm just weary of certain actions, comments made and attitudes, much like people were with me when I first started. I've been very, and quite frankly overly, expressive about my love for the Cinema Monster, and Joe's work in general. I've had two people tell me I jumped on a hype train, which I think is fucked up because, outside of Joe's work speaking for itself, I have personal reasons for me as a person as to why I love those particular toys. But no one says that about my affection for Obake Dogs, which are tied to the same sentiment as Splurrt, because virtually no one wants them.

Tue May 31, 2016 12:22 pm
S7 Royalty

quentor wrote:

A lot of artists begin to make a blacklist, or do research to find out who is flipping their stuff. You're pretty much sorting through who deserves it at that point anyways...

I've made an attempt to block known flippers on things like Instagram, hoping that if they aren't getting the direct info they won't know release times. But even then, I might not know their real name or email address, or I might know what state they are in , and then you get paranoid, is an order from this state, from that asshole flipper? For example Godsendconspire, I've blocked him, but I don't know his name or email. I know his first name is John...I think and he's in CA. So should I not sell to California or any Johns because I suspect they may be him. If you have dozens of people you don't want to sell to, but you have vague information on them, you can see how messy this can get.

Tue May 31, 2016 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Team Tsubu

Well stated, but...
xSuicide Squadx wrote:
... I've even been getting a little more into makers like Violence Toy, which carries the polar opposite of hype. ...
...please explain.

That snippet had me rereading the paragraph to see if you were engaging in dryly delivered irony rather than passionate expression.

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Tue May 31, 2016 12:35 pm
Line of Credit

Forgive my lack of comprehension skills, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. :oops: I just made that statement to aid in Daniel's aforementioned that there are (what I consider to be) other nice things out there that don't necessarily get the same attention as more popular artists. And Violence Toy hasn't exactly been widely accepted here(which is par the course for open opinions that I'm not at all against). There's others I could've used as examples, but I'm running on three hours of sleep, so I'm scattered a bit!

Tue May 31, 2016 1:13 pm
Toy Prince

JoeMan wrote:
quentor wrote:

A lot of artists begin to make a blacklist, or do research to find out who is flipping their stuff. You're pretty much sorting through who deserves it at that point anyways...

I've made an attempt to block known flippers on things like Instagram, hoping that if they aren't getting the direct info they won't know release times. But even then, I might not know their real name or email address, or I might know what state they are in , and then you get paranoid, is an order from this state, from that asshole flipper? For example Godsendconspire, I've blocked him, but I don't know his name or email. I know his first name is John...I think and he's in CA. So should I not sell to California or any Johns because I suspect they may be him. If you have dozens of people you don't want to sell to, but you have vague information on them, you can see how messy this can get.

Part of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" problem.

I've heard artists say they give preference to collectors that "prove" they love the toy by posting enormous collections. I genuinely don't understand that because for me, that translates to "we prefer rich people who hoard". Oddly enough, these people have so many grails you'd think they were Indiana Jones, yet all do is comment on how sad they are when they miss a drop and go to the aftermarket 10 minutes later cutting a check out of their trust fund. I've had to unfollow people out of disgust over their greed.

Do you track lotto entries and winners, or is each lotto 100% random? I've always wondered that, because I would think if you had a sort of master lotto tracker you could track who got what when. I would think it would be a bit more fair to chose someone who entered 5 lottos and never scored over a guy that enters everyone and scored 10% of the time.

Velocitron/Skinner Cthulhu
Karz Works Satan
MVH Dokuro DX
MVH Six-Eyed Ghoul
MVH Leviathan

Want List
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=50294

Tue May 31, 2016 2:12 pm
Comment King

I still think we should have one thread dedicated solely to outing flippers. Super easy. Yes, the search function is our friend, but why not have one thread for one purpose instead of a bunch of different threads about different people/aliases/etc?

Tue May 31, 2016 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

hellointerloper wrote:
I still think we should have one thread dedicated solely to outing flippers. Super easy. Yes, the search function is our friend, but why not have one thread for one purpose instead of a bunch of different threads about different people/aliases/etc?

Funny you say this, there was a thread with almost that exact name that devolved into chaos and ended up getting locked.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42423

The search function is indeed your friend.

WANTS

TRADES

Tue May 31, 2016 2:17 pm
Comment King

Oh trust me, I am well aware of that thread. The thread that-must-not-be-named. :? ...which is why I didn't mention it.
Still, it's been a while, and worth a shot to try again.

Tue May 31, 2016 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

hellointerloper wrote:
Oh trust me, I am well aware of that thread. The thread that-must-not-be-named. :? ...which is why I didn't mention it.
Still, it's been a while, and worth a shot to try again.

I think that thread was closed not just because of the fighting and threats, but because of the doxing, which is not ok. It was a meaningless witch hunt filled with misinformation and finger pointing. People's character came into question, friends needed to be defended. In hindsight, it was all pretty disgusting.

Tue May 31, 2016 3:20 pm
Comment King

Hmm, yeah. Some serious rules would have to applied to a new thread, now that I really think about it... and I don't think any of the mods want to deal with that.

Ugh, it's just all so frustrating. I would really love to have a list of people to watch out for, like people not to sell to, people to not accept bids from in the rare case that I have to list something on eBay, etc... I already got a bunch of shady PMs when I was selling off the stuff I didn't want to keep from my GGML LB. :? Ended up selling to the first person whose entire forum history wasn't just BST posts in those cases.

Tue May 31, 2016 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

Life is too short and the hobby too sweet to get bogged down keeping lists and tracking some idiot that wants quick cash.

Seriously, accept it as part of the hobby, deal with it and be happy when your buddies score a toy they have been looking for years the same way they are happy for you when you win a lotto or track down a looker of a toy. Grab a drink, play with toys and chill.

As for the producers, a lot of people understand the love and care these toys take to make. We appreciate any part and effort you take to put your toys in the hands of loving collectors, youre still human. You will still sell to flippers unknowingly, cest la vie. There is always the next run to try our luck and that is part of the fun in this.

This thread is going to keep running in circles for another few pages until those most involved in the convo here give each other pats in the back for opening such discussion and having such insight as to the flipper pandemic. Much wow. Very repeat. So yes.

flickr
Wanted Thread

Tue May 31, 2016 5:55 pm
Toy Prince

You know what at least I got some insight into how Joe and other people feel about the whole thing. It's not fun when you dont score for a while, no matter how zen you are about it. Also, if people want to talk about it then they can. It's a discussion board right? I don't need the "this is going to end up being repetitive so no use talking about it." If you don't want to talk about it then go to another thread. Right? Cuz I don't mind any of this convo, I was personally learning a lot.

Wants:
-MVH Blobpus 6 eyed Demon.
-Boss Carrion. Not picky on color...
-Gargamel Mecha Zag

Tue May 31, 2016 8:42 pm
Comment King

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth there Ryan. I think there have been some great points raised here and it's a constructive discussion. The only person going around in circles here and sounding like a broken record is Gatiio..

Top 5 Toys - http://top5toys.blogspot.com
SVM - http://softvinylmayhem.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wants - http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=49396

Tue May 31, 2016 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

badteethcomics wrote:
The only person going around in circles here and sounding like a broken record is Gatiio..

Seems like he's the only one making sense to me . . . capcha fields, beating bots, answering questions, writing essays . . . WTF!

If you are getting so butthurt and wound-up about missing out on toys it sounds like time to find a new hobby! :roll:

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:33 am
Comment King

^^
This.

Also, gl actually enforcing your nifty methods. This thread is completely delusional for the most part.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:45 am
Toy Prince

Well then don't participate. What's the problem? Nobody is forcing you to join this thread. Joe has pretty much convinced me that my idea wouldn't work. It's just a discussion about toys. We are all going to die one day, thanks for reminding me... :roll:

Wants:
-Gargamel Mecha Zag

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:55 am
Toy Prince

bunnyboy wrote:
^^
This.

Also, gl actually enforcing your nifty methods. This thread is completely delusional for the most part.

"SkullBrain: Where half of the discussion is saying the other half is pointless"

Velocitron/Skinner Cthulhu
Karz Works Satan
MVH Dokuro DX
MVH Six-Eyed Ghoul
MVH Leviathan

Want List
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=50294

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 am
Mr. Grumpy™

No offense to the n00bs wanting to stop the flipper problem because no one is saying they are fine with it. I for one have carried this torch and brought it up numerous times. What some of us older members are saying is: listen this has been addressed a zillion times here and no matter what there are always going to be fucking scumbags buying up a hyped limited item for resale at an outrageous price. I mean come on is this your first rodeo? This happens in so many niche markets. Same thing happens with old jungle records I collect. Laws of supply and demand- and someone always will take advantage of it.

The only thing you can do is:

A) Stop glorifying these toys, stop gushing over every limited thing like it is the second coming. Flippers feed on your eagerness to buy.
B) Stop paying flipper prices
C) Call assholes out here who do this- people will eventually realize who they are and feel like a moron for buying from them -or not, and then they are just simply a corn shuckin' moron with money to burn and will cry in their mom's basement they can't get the next hyped up toy or become a flipper to support their bad habit.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Team Tsubu

Hey, many of us here shucked corn this past holiday weekend. Take 'er easy!

But yes, what Chris said.

"I think and try to get a monster of flower soft ware toy pig actually, and notice that light unexpectedly."

Flickr one and Flickr two

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:09 am
Mr. Grumpy™

toothaction wrote:
Hey, many of us here shucked corn this past holiday weekend. Take 'er easy!

But yes, what Chris said.

Sorry if I offended corn shuckers everywhere lol, every niche group is so offened these days! Actually it's a line from a Mystery Science Theater 3000 that always stuck in my head and seemed appropriate to emphasize 'moron'.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

^Chris you make a good point, and that is my point. I want to hear shit like that. You know skullbrain gets boring sometimes and a lot of the reason is because whenever people get to talking, someone tells them to shut and stop talking. God, let us talk. All I'm saying.

And quit telling me to stop collecting. You want to talk about entitlement, some people act like they are the only ones entitled to collect these toys. I'm not going to go away just because some bully gets in my face. Everything in this thread has helped me gain a perspective so that I am not so butthurt next time I miss a release. It has helped me personalize what the artists go through. Let me learn through discussion. This is not directed to anyone in particular, but to anyone who wants to interject negativity into a benign thread: If 'life sucks, die' is all you have left to say about this hobby maybe you need a new hobby. Just saying.

Wants:
-Gargamel Mecha Zag

Last edited by quentor on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:18 am
Die-Cast

quentor wrote:
I'm simply saying it's too hard, and I'm out. I don't care if it's a girlfriend, a job, anything in life. If I'm not happy, and not getting results, what is the point? I don't fight losing battles, I'm not doing it anymore.

quentor wrote:
And quit telling me to stop collecting. You want to talk about entitlement, some people act like they are the only ones entitled to collect these toys. I'm not going to go away just because some bully gets in my face. Everything in this thread has helped me gain a perspective so that I am not so butthurt next time I miss a release. It has helped me personalize what the artists go through. Let me learn through discussion. This is not directed to anyone in particular, but to anyone who wants to enter interject negativity into a benign thread: If 'life sucks, die' is all you have left to say about this hobby maybe you need a new hobby. Just saying.

Wait what? :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe yer meds need readjusting?

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:08 am
Addicted

quentor wrote:
God, let us talk. All I'm saying.

quentor wrote:
Well then don't participate. What's the problem?

quentor wrote:
If you don't want to talk about it then go to another thread.

Everyone in here is talking about it. Whether they happen to share your views on the subject or not they are still discussing it and participating just like everyone else. The only one really trying to limit input and shut people up is you by telling people to leave the thread. I for one would rather have everyone's opinions and knowledge instead of just the guys who agree with how I feel personally.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:14 am
Toy Prince

@ Andy, I didn't know you stalked me but I was talking about giving up on a certain maker...and I got out of control in that thread so I am trying to find a way to gain some perspective so that doesn't happen again. They don't make pills for what you got bro.

Wants:
-Gargamel Mecha Zag

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:53 am
S7 Royalty

kid_miracleman wrote:
bunnyboy wrote:
^^
This.

"SkullBrain: Where half of the discussion is saying the other half is pointless"

This is the truest statement I have ever read about SB. It should be put in the board header.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next