ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:06 am

Possible Solution to Bots/Flippers etc. 
Fresh Meat

Post Re: Possible Solution to Bots/Flippers etc.
Hey Joe, while you are at it, can you just make this next drop an open run, it sounds easy enough :lol:

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:44 am
S7 Royalty

foto junkaay wrote:
Hey Joe, while you are at it, can you just make this next drop an open run, it sounds easy enough :lol:

It may not be open, but there will be a lot of toys to go around. Hopeully everyone who makes a legit effort will get something they dig.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

JoeMan wrote:
foto junkaay wrote:

It may not be open, but there will be a lot of toys to go around. Hopeully everyone who makes a legit effort will get something they dig.

I'm just kitten! Everything looks great by the way and I will definitely be trying for something (: Thanks for contributing to this thread, lots of insight for sure!

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:58 am
Addicted

SMOKE CRACK AND PROSPER....

Your first love and your last love is toy love.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:33 pm
Line of Credit

kid_miracleman wrote:

"SkullBrain: Where half of the discussion is saying the other half is pointless"

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:20 pm
Comment King

Well this devolved into a shitfest pretty quickly. :lol:
Thread starts speaking out against flippers... Ends up with people attacking each other.

Ah well, if there are a few things I took away from this thread, it's this...

1) we are bad at being adults
2) flippers gonna flip because they're assholes
3) thank goodness my tastes are broad

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

hellointerloper wrote:

1) we are bad at being adults

I understand/endorse the whole "acting like adults" part of the board that precludes name calling, threats, etc., but beyond that, in my mind, this is a message board for adults that collect mainly Japanese toys. I come hang out here to GET AWAY from being an adult for a little while, not to try and act like one. :lol:

But yes, I would generally agree with your statement :wink:

Your first love and your last love is toy love.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:05 pm
Fresh Meat

Flipping before it was cool lol

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:12 pm
Comment King

Everybody has made some fair points - and for the first time in a little bit I've enjoyed reading the new posts in this thread every morning when I wake up. One of the more interesting active threads on the board for sure.

Dennis has been doing this for a while now, but it's been really fun to see these posts. I've been at work during every drop and even though I would have loved to have a chance at grabbing these, I'm not "butthurt" at all. I actually really enjoy the aspect that people have had to either use their knowledge or race through google searches to win the chance to buy these toys. It's kind of satisfying, and I appreciate that people put in a little effort to be able to buy them.

Top 5 Toys - http://top5toys.blogspot.com
SVM - http://softvinylmayhem.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wants - http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=49396

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:19 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

^
Totally. Super fun and I didn't care in the least that I didn't win. Although I hope it went to someone that actually knew the answer off of the top of their head, that would be super impressive.

Kind of similar to the way MVH released the first painted Bernies a few months back; quickest to answer for most of them, but then for the last one you had to answer a riddle.

Sx.toy just released a Memorial Day Yabanjin that was about a 5min open window to buy the figure and then they closed the site again. So some people who would never expect to have one got it by pure happenstance.

People are wanting to try different tactics, and as far as I can see, they can be effective and fun.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:54 am
Vintage

To me, that is the real only interesting thing I have read in this thread so far. :P Fuck yeah, Dennis! Showin' some love for us Ultra fans.

(and perhaps sadly - but I would posit awesomely - there are some of us who do know these things amongst a head full of useless knowledge)

吸血宇宙人 Superu Seijin aka Alien Spell (スペル星人) from Ultraseven's twelfth episode, 'Bloodsucking Alien', banned for its believed connotation to victims of radiation.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:04 am
Comment King

It reminds me of the questions you needed to play Leisure Suit Larry.
Before the internet you needed to be a real adult.

Sorry, but anyone can answer Dennis' question if he has the magical artefact called "Google"...

I can't see who wouldn't try, apart from being really really lazy...

Wanted : Bakura Para Baby / Hitogomira

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:27 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

Ahahaha, oh man, those were the days though, weren't they. Talk about random. It really jogs the ol' memory tubes.

I also remember the completely inane tasks you had to do to start some games, like 'Go to page 13 of the manual and enter the word in the bottom left corner of the page.' Before they had copyright protection this was how they 'attempted' to get around people simply copying the games and passing them along. And believe me, I had a lot of photocopied manuals we circulated between friends. :wink: Those were simpler times.

Thank you so much for the LSL reference man, made my day.

(PS - I don't know if I should feel embarrassed in knowing this or not, but frankly, I don't give a damn either. -_- )

flickr part [2] part [3]

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 am
Toy Prince

bbb wrote:
^
Totally. Super fun and I didn't care in the least that I didn't win. Although I hope it went to someone that actually knew the answer off of the top of their head, that would be super impressive.

Kind of similar to the way MVH released the first painted Bernies a few months back; quickest to answer for most of them, but then for the last one you had to answer a riddle.

Sx.toy just released a Memorial Day Yabanjin that was about a 5min open window to buy the figure and then they closed the site again. So some people who would never expect to have one got it by pure happenstance.

People are wanting to try different tactics, and as far as I can see, they can be effective and fun.

It's a fine line between "making sure fans get your toys and not flippers" and "this hobby has consumed all of my free time".

I was initially excited for the MVH painted Bernie mini-run, but it would have basically required me to spend the entire day on a drop. Maybe if it was "drops are going to be at random times between 11A and 1PM EST" that would be better, but yeah, I didn't even bother as it was too much of an ask to spend a full day on a slim chance at a toy.

The Yabanjin release does sound really interesting (I don't follow that artist so I don't know about it). A very small open window with a picture and release date announced ahead of time is PERFECT. If I don't like the toy, colorway, whatever, I don't have to worry about it, and if I do I can set an alarm to buy it pretty much wherever I am at. 5 minutes will keep the run I'm guessing only slightly bigger than average and pretty much everyone is happy.

Well, except those who can't set an alarm clock, I suppose.

Velocitron/Skinner Cthulhu
Karz Works Satan
MVH Dokuro DX
MVH Six-Eyed Ghoul
MVH Leviathan

Want List
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=50294

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:49 am
Side Dealer

kid_miracleman wrote:
The Yabanjin release does sound really interesting (I don't follow that artist so I don't know about it). A very small open window with a picture and release date announced ahead of time is PERFECT.

Not quite how it goes down. No announcement ahead of time. And you have about 2 seconds to decide if you like the colorway or not.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:16 am
Toy Prince

Some of these suggestions seem like they'd be an extra burden on the artist. The more time spent on reading and sorting the less time spent on making awesome things. Though I think it'd be cool to have an art contest, or something like that.
I used to be skeptical of nepotism, but I think in the case of artist's relationship with patron/ collector It's good to know where the work is going.
as a newb id like to acquire some Spluurt, or MVH. I feel like raffles are enough for me because the more dedicated people to those brands have more clout.
Limited supply and resources create demand and make for unique pieces.
Flipping is lame. It's frustrating all around.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Addicted

3wing wrote:
Though I think it'd be cool to have an art contest, or something like that.

Rampage Toys had an art contest of sorts on Instagram back in April or so. People posted pics of Rampage Toys or their own art of those characters. Jon picked his 10 favorites, reposted them and the public decided who won based on the number of likes. Granted this was a contest with free prizes instead of a chance for purchase, but it was something different and fun.

Cyber_Ann and eckotyper won two of the three prizes.

(I didn't make Top Ten. :( )

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 am
Toy Prince

spatula007 wrote:
3wing wrote:
Though I think it'd be cool to have an art contest, or something like that.

Rampage Toys had an art contest of sorts on Instagram back in April or so. People posted pics of Rampage Toys or their own art of those characters. Jon picked his 10 favorites, reposted them and the public decided who won based on the number of likes. Granted this was a contest with free prizes instead of a chance for purchase, but it was something different and fun.

Cyber_Ann and eckotyper won two of the three prizes.

(I didn't make Top Ten. :( )

I remember that! It was pretty cool seeing all the works of art that popped up. I wanted to enter to but i had real life crap to take care of.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:12 am