ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:30 am

Nagoya 
S7 Royalty

Post Nagoya
Will be heading back in a few weeks. Haven't been in a number of years, and will be staying for rather longer than before. I know of a few nice places spots in Osu, but was wondering if anyone who'd been there had recommendations, re: toys or anything else.

I know it will sound weird, but I'm afraid of being bored...

Tx!

Wish list: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48478&p=861452#p861452 (ok, somehow forgot html)

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:35 am
Toy Prince

Post Re: Nagoya
petitetoilonrouge wrote:
Will be heading back in a few weeks. Haven't been in a number of years, and will be staying for rather longer than before. I know of a few nice places spots in Osu, but was wondering if anyone who'd been there had recommendations, re: toys or anything else.

I know it will sound weird, but I'm afraid of being bored...

Tx!

You could always draw some Hentai while your there or something if you get bored. Thats what i would do at least..... X'D

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:08 pm
Prototype

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

akum6n wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Its better than nothing! XD

Or idk he could just draw whatever he sees around him. Japan has got some cool landscape and housing structures.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:25 pm
Vintage

I think he is looking for actual suggestions from people who know Nagoya well.

Sorry I can't offer any specific help Oli, it has been a number of years since I was there as well. I remember the aquarium being very good, if you haven't done it already. Sekai no Yama-chan is always fun, but plenty of good eats there for yakitori/tebasaki. As for toy shops, I am afraid the only one I immediately know of is Mandarake, which isn't much help of course. How long will you be staying and when is the visit?

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:48 pm
S7 Royalty

ultrakaiju wrote:

Yes, please. Non-Nagoya killing-time activities I'll figure out. Hentai will likely not be involved.

ultrakaiju wrote:
Sorry I can't offer any specific help Oli, it has been a number of years since I was there as well. I remember the aquarium being very good, if you haven't done it already. Sekai no Yama-chan is always fun, but plenty of good eats there for yakitori/tebasaki. As for toy shops, I am afraid the only one I immediately know of is Mandarake, which isn't much help of course. How long will you be staying and when is the visit?

The aquarium is indeed very nice, but they have dolphins (and maybe a killer whale?) so ethically I don't really want to go back (we went for the kids the first time but I felt awful about supporting this sort of thing).

Will be staying five weeks, late-June to late-July.

Wish list: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48478&p=861452#p861452 (ok, somehow forgot html)

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:41 am
Toy Prince

https://www.tsunagujapan.com/22-must-go-places-in-nagoya/

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:04 am
S7 Royalty

Thanks! I've already been to most of those places - my in-laws actually live in Arimatsu so we go by that market pretty much every day - but not to Tokoname. It definitely looks like it's worth a visit!

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:48 am
Vintage

Funny, it wasn't like that all when I was there Oli (keep in mind this was quite some time ago), but I just googled it, and you are right, that seems to be all that comes up. :? Ah well. As an aside, I always thought Nagoya castle was one of the better ones, for actually being maintained as a castle, as well as allowing you inside, yet it so often rarely gets a mention among the bigger names. But Nagoya itself is an overlooked destination. You might hit up Osu Kannon flea market as well; I didn't have the space to carry much of anything away with me (on my bike at the time), but you never know what vintage delights you might stumble across. :)

flickr part [2] part [3]

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:03 am
Mini Boss

Gero

I don't know why the images aren't linking. Full post:

http://kaijukorner.blogspot.jp/2010/03/gero.html

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:09 am
S7 Royalty

Thanks Andy, will try and drop by Gero.

Steve, yep, Nagoya castle has got a ninja event this summer, so we'll take the kids there for sure. Last time I went it was Oda-themed, so samurai galore. I'll likely find myself in Osu most days (especially if I rent an electric bike...). There's a few hidden antique stores there overflowing with treasures (and friendly owners!).

I'm also looking for Disc Union / Recorderz / Recofan-like record stores, with cheapo 1/200-yen bins. (Not Book-Off, who typically have an awful selection.) Maybe I'll bargain my way into escaping to Tokyo for a few days. Anyone want to hang?

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:27 am
Toy Prince

petitetoilonrouge wrote:
ultrakaiju wrote:

Hentai will likely not be involved.

LMFAO! You know i was just kidding right? But not about the landscape sketching part though.

Yeah that Negoya castle seems like an awesome place to visit. It was like one of the first things to pop up when i typed it in yesterday. :P

It looks like they have a bunch of theme parks and stuff to you could take your kids to while your there as well.

Iv never heard of an electric bike before. :O

Doesn't that kind of take the fun out of getting into shape?

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:22 am