ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next
 What do you listen to???????? 
Post Pimp

Post What do you listen to????????
This is a continuation of the music shit i started in the SB thread- anyway here goes i actually dont listen to hatebreed but it came up when i googled Hardcore-lol but i do like Grammy winners Mudvayne and also MushroomHead..What do you all listen to????

Oh yea and KISS fuckin rules-Detroit Rock City BABY!!!!!!

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

Doom - Cathedral, Candlemass, SunnO))), Khanate.
Black Metal - Emperor (yeah you interviewed them Chad :P) Darkthrone, Immortal, Burzum, and lots others
Death metal - Cannibal Corpse etc
Grindcore - Nasum, Benumb, Agoraphobic nosebleed etc

and then bands like LCD soundsystem, Daft Punk, Rancid, King Tubby, Bjork.

In conclusion - Lots

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:08 pm
Post Pimp

I also dig Lamb of God-you ever listen to em parka??

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

Not really, listened to them a couple of times. Not bad, just a bit meh on them.

I do like Mudvayne though, probably one of the only 'nu-metal' bands I like. Their bass-player is immense and so underrated.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:13 pm
Line of Credit

Well I am pretty diverse - going from hard bop jazz from Coltrane etc. to death metal by the likes of Bolthrower and Entombed. At the moment am looking backward as there is very little of interest coming out it seems. Been listening to Joy Division and Bauhaus a fair bit of late, as well as psychedelic stuff by Hawkwind etc. Also looking into Dead Kennedy's (original stuff with Jello) and re-finding The Misfits and The Cramps (Brian, what else can you suggest along these lines?).
Some top bands would be:
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Sonic Youth
Black Sabbath - early
Pink Floyd - especially pre-Darkside
Joy Division
plus more I can't really think of right now (I always draw blanks when these questions are asked!!)

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:13 pm
S7 Royalty

what I'm feelin lately: BORIS, The Misfits, Early Man, Motorhead, mogwai

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

what I'm feelin lately: BORIS, The Misfits, Early Man, Motorhead, mogwai

Boris - man you have taste. Love their drone stuff. And you can't go wrong with misfits. Early or recent, although i've not heard anything since everyone but jerry left.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:53 pm
Addicted

Boris rules! Bad Brains, Shellac, Big Black, Joy Division, Pelican, Mono, and lots of local goodness.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:09 pm
Illuminati

WOwo - u guys ARE hardcore. I feel positively British listening to the Rakes. Also saw Rob Dickinson play the other night - yeah! Actually, anything Steve Jones plays on 103.1 gets my vote as well. We are scientists, Brooklyn's latest export rocked me a few nights ago as well.

I grew up on metal - Motorhead, Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Daimondhead, BOC etc.....

Like I said before, still love early Kiss.

However, just to display some hardcore-ness:
One of my fave shows of all time was Napalm Death, BoltThrower, ExtremeNoise Terror and ElectrHippies at London ULU - anight of mayhem and intense grindcore, filmed for BBC2 early documentatry on extreme metal in the late 80's. Words cannot describe the mayhem at that show. Blood, dislocations, electrocution and crustie punx with dogs on string. Excellent.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Illuminati

Boris rules! Bad Brains, Shellac, Big Black, Joy Division, Pelican, Mono, and lots of local goodness.

Got to see Shellac a couple of months ago. Surprisingly humorous show.

Oh yeah, another super memorable show was Nirvana opening for Tad in the basement of the Scool of Oriental and African Studies in London. The ceiling was super low, so the divers couldn't really dive high, do instead people were swinging down the central heating pipes and dropping off anywhere. I have a great photo of Kurt's arm!

Next best was Lamefest UK: Mudhoney headlined, Tad middle billed, and Nirvana opened!

mmm, see someone mentioned Mogwai - New Paths to Helicon was a bit of a revelation at the time.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

LATELY: NEW FANGS!!! Miss Alex White and the Red Orchestra, the Beguiled, Haunted George, the Wipers, the Coachwhips, the Black Lips, the Laughing Hyenas, Reigning Sound, the Gun Club, Pussy Galore, Manikin, BBQ, Matson Jones, Tokyo Electron, the Scientists, Tom Waits, High Tension Wires, the Beguiled, the A-Frames, the Starvations, Skip James, the new Ladytron, the Ponys + loads more...
((copied from myspace coz I'm lazy.))

And always: the Misfits (classic lineup, pre-Earth A.D.), the Cramps, the Pixies, the Stooges, Son House and Wu-Tang!

Genres I dig: rock and/or roll, delta blues, 60s soul, bebop, deathrock, classic punk rock, OLD (or rootsy/raw/drunken) country, protopunk, garage rock, indie hip-hop, and all kindsa sad songs. LOVE the sad songs!

Last edited by zomboid on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Illuminati

also, I really think there are always great new bands coming out, as well as amzing hsitorical stuff. You just have to be exposed to it. I think I've heard most genre's now, and I love it when a new band builds on that and twists it into something new, or makes it better. Arctic Monkeys are raising eybrows, but the priase is a little early I feel. The Editors are running with the gloomy JD torch. Gang of 4 and Wire seem to be generating a host of amzing followers - Futureheads for instance.

ANd on a history tip:
ANyone remember Skunk Anansie. SKin put on a spine tingling show shortly before they split at the Troubadoour in 2000. Amazing live band, mainly due to the 6'2" bald-black-lesbian-core that Skin brought to every show! She RULED!

Also, dug out some goth stuff, and laughed at how unscary the Sisters of Mercy were, but they did produce some death-disco dance floor classics like Temple of Love, and Alice. Flesh 4 Lulu, Lords of the New Church, early Cult - all got my ears recently.

DID I TALK TOO MUCH?

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

However, just to display some hardcore-ness:
One of my fave shows of all time was Napalm Death, BoltThrower, ExtremeNoise Terror and ElectrHippies at London ULU - anight of mayhem and intense grindcore, filmed for BBC2 early documentatry on extreme metal in the late 80's.

Love Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower etc. Good stuff.

Mutonismyfriend wrote:
ANyone remember Skunk Anansie. SKin put on a spine tingling show shortly before they split at the Troubadoour in 2000. Amazing live band, mainly due to the 6'2" bald-black-lesbian-core that Skin brought to every show! She RULED!

Used to have a thing for Skin (god she's fit). She's got a solo album out, not listened to it though.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:28 pm
Toy Prince

Oh yeah - I dig the big sprawling sounds of stuff like Explosions in the Sky, GYBE, and Mogwai etc... When I'm designing or painting.

I also forgot Black Heart Procession as an all-time fave.

Whew! I could go on and on!!!

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Illuminati

Galaxie 500, Pixies, Ride, Lush, Blur, Pulp,MBV
More recent:
Donna's, Ladytron, MUSE (bionic!!!!!), Kaiser Chiefs

So mucg amzaing music out there

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

One last splurge: late 80's early 90's:

Galaxie 500, Pixies, Ride, Lush, Blur, Pulp,MBV
More recent:
Donna's, Ladytron, MUSE (bionic!!!!!), Kaiser Chiefs

So mucg amzaing music out there

i think our music collections would have a pretty good amount of overlap.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Illuminati

Used to have a thing for Skin (god she's fit). She's got a solo album out, not listened to it though.[/quote]

Nice one Parka. Last I heard, she was working in a record shop in Brixton. What a waste of such a great performer and an amazing voice. I;'d like to hope a solo album would do it...but I can't see it fitting nto the zeitgeist somehow

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:35 pm
Comment King

I listen to a pretty wide array of stuff. There's so much great shit out there. Some of my favorites are:

Ramones, Small Faces, Motorhead, Otis Redding, The Undertones, MC5, The Creation, The Rezillos, The Misfits, Kreator, Cheap Trick, The Stooges, Neanderthal, Oblivians, The Clash, The Real Kids, The Boys, The Gories, The Pogues, Iron Maiden, Dead Moon, The Who, Radio Birdman, New York Dolls, Willie Nelson, Minor Threat, Billy Childish and his many bands, Guitar Wolf(r.i.p. Billy), The Dirtbombs, The Dickies...Holy shit, this list could go on forever.

Anyway, a small sampling of my music taste.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:37 pm
Illuminati

- Celtic Frost with Voivod (all original members)
- Corrosion of Conformity (all original members)
- Shellac
- Bauhaus
- Death in June
- Fugazi

My musical taste favors extremes. Current likes: lots of stuff on Southern Lord, Planes Mistaken For Stars, Eagles of Death Metal...

Writer's Page: http://www.esoterra.org/editors.htm

Last Hurrah Records: http://www.lasthurrahrecords.com

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

Great shows I have seen
- Corrosion of Conformity (all original members)
- Shellac
- Bauhaus
- Death in June
- Fugazi

My musical taste favors extremes. Current likes: lots of stuff on Southern Lord, Planes Mistaken For Stars, Eagles of Death Metal...

Southern lord - what a label. Apart from releasing Probot, amazing line-up

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:39 pm
Illuminati

Actually, not a huge, huge fan. I loved the first album, and those shows at the time were like events. Living in London, one felt like the outsider (in a good way) when all the Mancs would come up for the big shows. Everyone in flares. Did like Ian Brown's stuff - especially the remix album. Who would have thought that he would do the great stuff, while Squire would just fade away?

Hey Zomboid, glad to hear that we overlap. I have let toy collecting oust my musical quest, but music was my life for many years. Now its more background, but this whole string has made me think a lot about stuff...when I should be working!

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Dude, I used to love me some Voivod when I was 15. I wish I still had those records.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:40 pm
Illuminati

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

Ian brown - thought i'd hate his stuff, but he's immense. Favourite album is music of the spheres. very underated. Don't like stone roses though.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:42 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next