ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:59 am

Lolgolth Gnazgoroth: Skinner and Unbox Industries 
Comment King

Post Re: Lolgolth Gnazgoroth: Skinner and Unbox Industries
drybones69 wrote:
AS you can see, Skinner wasnt the one to make this posting, and rarely ever posts on skullbrain.

Unless he has something to sell.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 am
Die-Cast

drybones69 wrote:
The thing is, Skinner doesn't accommodate only to Kaiju fans, through his art and working with others he creates things that he thinks are awesome. AS you can see, Skinner wasnt the one to make this posting, and rarely ever posts on skullbrain. If you find his work stale or boring, i really think he could care less as long as he's making things that he likes, (whether it's Kaiju/Sofubi related or not) and for some reason i feel like theres a lot of people out there who like what Skinners doing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think this is pretty close.

You guys have to realize SB is only a small piece of all the collector base, esp. Skinners. There is a large collecting world, and not everyone posts on message boards.

Personally this isn't for me, but I can definitely see how this fits in with Skinners look and feel and can see how this can fit in with a Skinner art collection.

This would fit well between his toys and those crazy resin statues.

Skinner does what he likes, with who he likes and doesn't worry about any of the BS. There is something to be admired in that, esp if your trying to grow as an artist.

This probably was never designed thinking what will SB think. Just keep that in mind. If anything I'm willing to bet Skinner just thought this would be cool, let's make it.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Addicted

Agreed Rich, I love Skinners work, and his aesthetic. Although this is not for me I can see why it is being made. Its weird, and I don't think its at all meant for this group. If it was he would have posted it.

http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=45973

TRADES
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46549

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

He's in it for the money. Like everyone, he's just more cynical about it. He's taken to hawk shit on Instagram via mishka and holding 'auctions'. Which is one step short of eBay. Kudos to him, I just feel he's running with a crew that only hurts the hobby more than anything.

He's doing this thing in vinyl because that's what people, with the hypez, are buying. Any factory in china can produce this with all of the detail, specially since he's going to cover it up with his horrid paint apps anyways, he just NEEDS to do it in vinyl, because it's the thing to do right now.

I've expressed my disappointment for the way the movement is going in the past, and this only serves to reinforce it.

I'm just gonna detach myself from this conversation, since it only seems to be going the same way as some other threads with brands with shady business partners.

flickr
Wanted Thread

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 am
Side Dealer

APsychoCareBear wrote:
We're actually talking about it on IG, thought about a 12" Bog but then again he mentioned a 15" would be better, but a 24" can't even imagine how freaking badass that would b.

I think originally that was kind of the plan. I recall it was going to be a Voltron type beast sold in pieces that you could assemble.

As far as this new sculpt...It has a Lovecraft feel that I like but It reminds me more of a statue than a toy so I'll never go for one.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 am
Addicted

Pretty much how I feel about it! It would make a sweet statue though. If that Bog was a voltronesque toy I would go insane..

TRADES

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:06 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

I seriously dig this... and can't wait to see it painted up! It really goes along with all of the Lovecraft mythos that Skinner is so into, and for anyone that follows Lovecraft, will LOVE this, IMO. Wait till you guys see the other stuff that Skinner is working on with Unbox... :D

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Addicted

I don't understand how people can say Skinner or unbox is cashing in on anything. That thing is not "kaiju" at all. It is not remotely japanese in it's influence or design or production. If anything it's a really screwed up version of a half inch tall dungeons and dragons miniature which is the exact kind of stuff Skinner has been painting since he was like 4 years old. It is probably a big investment from Unbox and they obviously let Skinner make whatever the hell he wanted. I think when a company lets an artist go nuts that is how you get the best representation of their work. Add the fact that Unbox almost always offers OPEN pre-orders for their stuff so anyone who wants it can get it and I just don't see the cashing in aspect at all from either of them.

I have read the argument here before that when a western artist is using a japanese sofubi studio/factory it's looked down on since they could be producing stuff from people who are either japanese or have earned the right to make stuff their through years of dedication but this is going to be produced in china so that doesn't apply either.

Just my opinion anyway.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:06 am
Addicted

Dude that picture shows this toy way better thanks Spanky. Now I can see how articulation would make sense.

TRADES

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

More pics:

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Amazing, looks like some sort of medieval demonic imagery come to life.

On a side note- I can vouch for Unbox giving full creative license to their artist cadre . They pretty much make whatever I present to them, with a few tweaks for production reasons or to lower costs to consumers. I have zero complaints, zero.

http://greasebatjefflamm.virb.com/

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Thanks for the additional pics! I think this thing stirring up opinions on both sides of the fence probably means it's good.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm
Addicted

I am honestly considering this now, because of the pictures...hmmm

TRADES

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

Never thought I'd hear "Skinner" and "horrid paint apps" in the same sentence... but then I remembered where I am.

*Thread derail
I concur with gatiio about these IG auctions though, they are pure HYPE machines. The winning bid typically falls short of astronomical for something drawn on the fly... not my cup of tea.

*Back on track
After seeing the whole sculpt now, my mind is bent from the all the detail involved. I'm not going to buy one. It's way too dark for my tastes, but credit given where due on the craftsmanship involved. Considering the "H" word and the size of Skinner's fanbase, I'm sure this will sell (retail and aftermarket :roll: ) well...

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 pm
Die-Cast

I can't wait to see this thing now. It's pretty wild !

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

The backside is way better in my opinion. The kid in the mouth is epic. Not for my collection, but definitely a Skinner Winner.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:51 pm
Side Dealer

If you think Skinner is an opportunist, you should really talk with the guy. It's rare to meet someone with such a solid and thoughtful head on his shoulders while maintaining such a child like sense of wonder. In short, Skinner gets it.

wants: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36685

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:07 pm
Addicted

Daimyo wrote:
If you think Skinner is an opportunist, you should really talk with the guy. It's rare to meet someone with such a solid and thoughtful head on his shoulders while maintaining such a child like sense of wonder. In short, Skinner gets it.

I remember a video interview on youtube about 3 years ago where he was showing off his toy collection. He also showed off a sketch of a toy he really wanted to make but the place he was working with then told him it was too complicated to pull off. So it's pretty obvious he has wanted to do something insane like this for at least a few years.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:00 pm
Toy Prince

Daimyo wrote:

... and you get it!!! Spot on, Skinner is far from an opportunist. It's crazy to me that anyone on here trying to sell their art/toy is an opportunist, I mean, what else are forums good for... oh right, to bash people and their work.

“Following the brilliant working relationship we (Unbox Industries) had with Skinner we wanted to keep the momentum and start work on a series of new projects. After some consultation, Skinner proposed a series of characters for a new “Skinner Universe” series. Three characters are already in development for release in 2014 but Lolgolth Gnazgoroth really pushed the Unbox team like never before. ”Lolly” took over three months to develop under close consultation with Skinner, the digital model is our most complicated sculpt ever. With nearly 2gb of digital data, Lolly managed to break the state of the art rapid printer we use!

Lolly will be available for pre order online in 2014 but Dan from Unbox will be with Skinner at The Critical Hit booth at NYCC this coming Saturday. Unfortunately we only have a very rough, unfinished PU cast of Lolgolth as we ran out of time & we did not want to risk moving the incredibly expensive rapid print!” ~ Press taken directly from Unbox

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:29 am
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

I think any artist would be nuts NOT to work with Unbox.

It's really great watching them push the envelope of details, sizes, and types of materials too. I think Skinner's work is perfect for this.

While it might not be hand sculpted vintage style, it's definitely awesome looking evolution!

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Addicted

SpankyStokes wrote:
Skinner is far from an opportunist.

What else are forums good for... oh right, to bash people and their work.

Fortunately not everyone here feel the need to let out their artistic frustrations by going above and beyond to show that they don't aprove/like a certain art/toy :wink:

Paulkaiju wrote:

It's really great watching them push the envelope of details, sizes, and types of materials too. I think Skinner's work is perfect for this.

While it might not be hand sculpted vintage style, it's definitely awesome looking evolution!

Nuff said :D

WANTS:
http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=45773&p=779418#p779418
TRADES:
http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46434

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:47 am
Toy Prince

keiboba wrote:
The backside is way better in my opinion. The kid in the mouth is epic. Not for my collection, but definitely a Skinner Winner.

I agree 100%. The back is the best part and I'd probably display it backwards if I owned it, which I doubt I ever will.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 am
Addicted

It's hard to be too critical of anything with "LOL" in its name and hanging ball sacks scattered to and fro... I think that alone is a great representation of Skinner's humor.

Love it or hate it, this "Lolgolth Gnazgoroth" makes for one hell of a conversation piece. I just want to see one and find all the little surprises carved in/on it (little monkey face on the right arm took a sec to find). The real test will be how many fans keep theirs after the "novelty" factor wears off.

One has to wonder how this figure will look painted... that alone could really pull things together or make it completely fall apart.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:50 pm
Addicted

Paulkaiju wrote:

Agreed, and I hear there is some "hand sculpted vintage style" in the works as well.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:22 pm
Addicted

Paulkaiju wrote:

I think the bottom line is: only an idiot looks a gift horse in the mouth.
Who says "No" when someone offers to make their toys/designs for free?
Unless they're stiffing you on the deal, you'd have to be amazingly dim or egotistical to pass up any opportunity to get your toys into people's homes.
When opportunity knocks....you say "YES!"

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:39 am
Profile WWW