ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:48 am

Velocitron Thread 
Addicted

Post Re: Velocitron Thread
Ricky sounds highly unprofessional, and it is disappointing that such behavior does not get called out more often. Seeing as how this appears to have happened before with others, some public awareness of people's work ethics can save others some pain and misery down the road. It'll be interesting to see if he even responds here; it seems like he does not come on these boards often.

For me, it's another guy whose work I will not support on principle.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:36 pm
Comment King

I can not speak for others but he has always come thru tho with soooo many folks pulling
vinyl I can not imagine how the whole production is to be dealing with. I do sympathize on
concerns and do hope he is not having or has had some health issue or other problems.

Last edited by kichigai on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

To the best of my knowledge, he's in charge of a band called Necronomidol these days, planning their gigs and stuff. I don't even know if he makes toys anymore. I only know this info because I follow one of Ricky's friends on IG.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

The amount of people contacting me privately about having these same issues with Ricky is blowing my mind.
Im really hoping we can all get our stuff back or sent to someone else to take over production.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

That's really sad and disheartening to know that so many people are having issues... Firstly, because it's not fair that their work is hanging in limbo without any real explanation, but also secondly, because having stuff made through Ricky was a vital way for people to have their toys produced. (at least until this unfortunate business.)

Really hope that everyone can get their stuff back or forwarded as well.
If the guy is having issues or is caught up in other business, for goodness sake, there's no shame in telling people "Sorry, I can't do this right now," and sending stuff back. We all get overwhelmed, sidetracked, or lose motivation. But for goodness sake, when other peoples' investments and dreams are on the line, take care of it.
-breathes-
Rant over.

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

I just got a response to my last email to Ricky the other night. According to him he's back logged to pretty much a halt. It sounds like he's trying very hard to catch up and told me that he is going to start on my project next week (wax stage). Its been sever months that he's had my sculpt but I knew going in that he wouldn't be able to get to my stuff for awhile due to the other folks ahead of me. I could've been further along but there was a delay on my part and missed that window.

He's pretty slow with emails that's for sure and I think there's a lot of room for improvement there. I see here that folks are willing to wait for the quality work that Ricky does so long as they're kept up to date with what's going on and schedules are pretty much kept close to their target dates. I personally feel the same and that prompt email responses makes the wait easier and eases anxieties.

He's hardly online and it seems he's not aware of this thing brewing here but I've given him a heads up. Hopefully he doesn't wait too long to read my last reply so that perhaps he can stop by and clear this matter up.

Looking for...viewtopic.php?f=26&t=34235&p=891489#p891489

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Prototype

Ricky should stop working on the crappy toys and focus on the good ones.

Win win.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

akum6n wrote:

Win win.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean?? Who decides what's crappy?

MoxieDesignCompany.com | Flickr | Etsy | Cop A Squat Toys | Instagram

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

Glad to hear both via PM and on here that things are going forward... snails pace on not.

I knew he would come thru but some of the PM's others sent are obnoxious and if you sent that same tone to him perhaps that is why there was no reply. Not saying that is a shield to hide behind but having worked with other major manufacturers in Tokyo, wait times, unseen errors and communications have always been consistently slow. In the Western world a lot of folks tend to push an attitude of "What is the delay?" and "How can that be?" only to be followed up by "Fuck this shit" kind of perspective. If you can not be patient and except long unseen delays please stop making vinyl, it will burn you out.

Nobody should ever go into making vinyl with a mindset that it will lead to a pot of gold. I mean that honestly. Do it because you love your character and follow your dream, but do not limit yourself by only making a vinyl with that being your only point of reference or output. I think that is perhaps a bit of what Daniel is talking about, folks making stufs just to make it because they see it as a venture. With few exceptions most folks who have made stufs that belong to this board have copied other "popular' styles instead of developing their own brand of creatures.

"Fly a Kite, Mash some Clay- Toy or Die!"

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

I received an email from Ricky today.
I should be getting all of my things sent back to me soon.
He was really nice and apologetic about everything.

Sounds like everyone else should be hearing something soon too.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

CopASquatToys wrote:
akum6n wrote:

Win win.

Your new toys are great, you should be one of the guys Ricky is prioritizing.
I said the same thing to him, his response was he wanted to work with guys who were pleasant to deal with and paid their invoices on time.

Used to be making a vinyl toy was something you earned now so many people just think it's their right.

Ricky handles most of the TAG portfolio and on top of that, the factory he uses pulls a shit ton of toys for Medicom. As it was explained to me, they have to be 100% on time with Medicom or they get sued. They also have RxH and a bunch of other stuff. Not making excuses for Ricky's communication, it's bothered me too. I just think Ricky is too nice, and has taken on too much.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:50 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

CopASquatToys wrote:
akum6n wrote:
Win win.

Who decides what's crappy?

That'll be me . . . you must've missed the memo! :wink:

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:33 am
Comment King

JoeMan wrote:
CopASquatToys wrote:
akum6n wrote:

Win win.

Your new toys are great, you should be one of the guys Ricky is prioritizing.
I said the same thing to him, his response was he wanted to work with guys who were pleasant to deal with and paid their invoices on time.

Used to be making a vinyl toy was something you earned now so many people just think it's their right.

Ricky handles most of the TAG portfolio and on top of that, the factory he uses pulls a shit ton of toys for Medicom. As it was explained to me, they have to be 100% on time with Medicom or they get sued. They also have RxH and a bunch of other stuff. Not making excuses for Ricky's communication, it's bothered me too. I just think Ricky is too nice, and has taken on too much.

I didn't go through Ricky this time around, with that said they are still being made at the same factory. I think you NAILED it when you say Ricky is too nice and took on too much and that everyone seems to be making a "toy" these days. It's gotten to the point where I can't keep up with who's who and who makes what. I think that's why a lot of really great toys get lost in the mix, it's more about who's better at marketing their stuff. I will admit I'm terrible at that part.

Anti Social Andy wrote:
CopASquatToys wrote:
akum6n wrote:
Win win.

Who decides what's crappy?

That'll be me . . . you must've missed the memo! :wink:

Oh I got your memo, I just didn't care. :D

I should also mention that I've spoken with Ricky and we're cool I think he's got the message and is starting to make everything right.

MoxieDesignCompany.com | Flickr | Etsy | Cop A Squat Toys | Instagram

Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Though I stopped working with Ricky a while back, I hold no bad blood for the guy. He had a kid, and found an interest that doesn't involve people pestering him 24/7 about their toy. The work that goes into PROPERLY communicating with mold makers and vinyl workshops - and 100% in Japanese (NOT easy) - is a complicated process. Ricky, being the ONLY avenue for those wanting to spend the money on a project, got busy. Combine the process and an overwhelming work-load, and you get long wait times and/or some mistakes.

To those who CAN go another route, and are willing to jump through whatever hoops - go nuts! Otherwise, and especially if you're just 'making a toy for yourself,' you can get all worked up, but it won't get you anywhere any more quickly than simple patience.

If you've written a shitty angry message or email to Ricky - I'll bet he's not too psyched to be working with/for you, and you're really just hurting yourself.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:39 am
Fresh Meat

Wow I can't believe I haven't see this sooner!
I've been waiting for almost a year since I sent my prototype to him.
I've been in contact with him on and off. A few days ago he got back to me saying is see
Some results in the next few weeks.
This is disheartening seeing as how I thought it was just a matter of my toy not being a very high priority.
He's always been super nice and apologized for late reply a or how long it has been to see results. I really hope I can still see my toy made. But I also don't want to lose the hard work I've done already to get just that one Porto to him

Any advice? :oops:

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:39 pm
Line of Credit

VideoV0mit wrote:

switch mediums. ;)

flickr
Wanted Thread

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:26 pm
Addicted

VideoV0mit wrote:
I've been in contact with him on and off. A few days ago he got back to me saying is see
This is disheartening seeing as how I thought it was just a matter of my toy not being a very high priority.
He's always been super nice and apologized for late reply a or how long it has been to see results. I really hope I can still see my toy made. But I also don't want to lose the hard work I've done already to get just that one Porto to him

You can either continue being patient and eventually get your toy made in vinyl or ask for your proto back and start over with someone else. The thing is there are not many avenues available for production and you would be starting at the bottom of the list all over again. That is if you can find someone to help which isn't easy. Waiting a year for production is pretty common actually.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:57 pm
Fresh Meat

Waterbear wrote:
VideoV0mit wrote:

You can either continue being patient and eventually get your toy made in vinyl or ask for your proto back and start over with someone else. The thing is there are not many avenues available for production and you would be starting at the bottom of the list all over again. That is if you can find someone to help which isn't easy. Waiting a year for production is pretty common actually.

Okay that's kinda what I gathered from when I was first trying to get the prototype made.
I think being patient has served me pretty good so far. it may be taking a wile but like you said there aren't many people make sofubi for people. This whole time I've just assumed it was normal.
I think I've committed this far so I should see it though.
Thank you my friend I appreciate it! :D

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:09 pm