ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Do it here for Americans. KAWS, Mr. Kozik, Pushead, Le Merde, "art toys"
Post a reply

Michael Skattum: toys + art

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Hey 'Brainers,

Just wanted to share some news on an interview with Mr. Michael Skattum were he discusses his art (illustration, toys, working with Mr. 'Splurrt' Joe Merrill etc.) as well as his upcoming vinyl version of his 'Human Slayers' toy.

Check - http://www.art-whore.blogspot.com - over the next week or so.

Cheers guys!

And in the mean-time, check out a new drawing Michael has done - that i comissioned - were one of his creations is getting a bit... uhhh... rough with a poor ole Cadaver Kid:

Re: Michael Skattum: toys + art

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Vinyl Human Slayer?! Finally! That is such great news, been hoping and waiting ever expectantly for that.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Michael signed off the interview with:

"Just keep a watch on my instagram or Facebook. Some little things here and there, but I will let the world know when the human slayers toys are ready to unleash their havoc."

...i'll link the interview here the MOMENT i post it. 8)

P.S - catch Michael Skattum on Instagram @draculazer + hit him up, dude is a champ.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Umm.. Michael posts here all the time and he's pretty good at promoting his art and resin toys.

Is this something just to get people to look at your blog? I don't get it.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

bryce_r wrote:Umm.. Michael posts here all the time and he's pretty good at promoting his art and resin toys.
Is this something just to get people to look at your blog? I don't get it.

...I checked with Michael, and he was o.k with me doing this. Just wanted to give a heads-up about the interview, the vinyl, and show the pic!

(New member to Skullbrain, so please feel free to let me know if i am doing anything wrong. :wink: )

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 pm

my reputation precedes me! maybe this is best suited for the fan art forum as i dont have anything exciting in terms of vinyl that i can show off (yet)

anyway- hey josh- welcome to the board!

here is a scan of the commission in case anyone wanted to see it .

if/when this gets moved, ill use it to post a bunch of new work that ive been making, future collaborations and whatever. its been a busy month

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 pm

'Brainers,

* Link to March 2013 Michael Skattum interview w/ 'Art-Whore' below; as threatened:

http://art-whore.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/art-talk-michael-skattum.html

...lotsa great insights! :wink:

Hope you guys are well.

(AND just so you guys know, i am NOT trying to sell anything with my blog; i am just a HUGE art + toy nerd who is also an information whore... Set up the blog to share amazing art + their creator's storey to the world... My 1 rule = NO reposts. So just interviews and ramblings... And photos stolen from artist's personal site - always with permission)

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:53 am

Thanks for the link, i love his work. Very talented and nice guy!
I have just one piece im my collection but i hope to snag more as soon as i can!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:06 am

Luca Jong Il wrote:Thanks for the link, i love his work. Very talented and nice guy!
I have just one piece im my collection but i hope to snag more as soon as i can!

Amen. AND all credit to Michael, i just typed it up + asked some questions. :)

...DAMN psyched for his 1st entry into sofubi.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:11 am

oh and nice to find out who was the commissioner for that amazing drawing!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:23 am

Great to read Michael

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 am

Great news, looking forward to vinyl from you!! Always love your artwork.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 am

Michael is a good man and his art is so damn fun; his creepy, buzzing print from GARAMANIACAL hangs in our bathroom and greets me each morning as I undertake my ablutions. Always looking forward to more from him.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:05 pm

ungawa222 wrote:Michael is a good man and his art is so damn fun

...Amen to that man!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Skattum's work is astounding. Thanks for putting that together.

But... (here it comes)

The formatting was bloody hard to read. White and purple text on black? Center justified text? I spit out my tea and choked on my crumpet when that page loaded.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Wetterschneider wrote:Skattum's work is astounding. Thanks for putting that together.

But... (here it comes)

The formatting was bloody hard to read. White and purple text on black? Center justified text? I spit out my tea and choked on my crumpet when that page loaded.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Even criticism is good. Yr the second to note the 'garish' colour scheme. BUT i think i am sticking with it for now - my homage to early 1990's day-glo shit (TMNT, Toxic Crusaders etc.). AND the center justified text i feel looks good.... I am a dirty stoner though... So my brain appreciates the weird looking. :wink:

Any other 'Brainers out there with thoughts? ANY feedback welcome.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Yeah, you should left-justify your text, without question. I promise I'm right. Promise.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Take off the page counters, this isn't 1998 and no one really cares except for you. The top picture drives me crazy because it's either the resolution of the picture, or even worse, there are frames on your web-site.
Have a page break for the articles. It's data overload and if I don't care about the article I will ditch the whole web-site.

Don't take any of this as a personal attack (and you asked for it). It's just my two cents.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Hey 'Brainers,

HUGE thanks for the input guys. :)

A) Page counter REMOVED.

B) will "left justify" next interview and see how that looks.

C) NOT enought of a tech-guy to deal with "frames" issue. I'll speak to a friend.

D) photo - you mean the one of Kate Moss, or the small one of the fat-kid (who is me... IF yr wondering)?

E) ADDED "page breaks" - NEVER new how to do this, yr comments made me look + work it out!

Any more thoughts?

(my girl still HATES the colour scheme, BUT i love it... anyone got 2 cents to put in on that specifically?)

HUGE thanks for this guys: damaged bryan + TiredChildren + Wetterschneider

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:46 am

photo- the one of kate moss. At the top? Sure, it's not framed (you'd know). So it needs to either be centered or the width needs to be extended to where it takes up the whole top.

Looks a lot better though.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:59 am

lose the footer & sidebar, you can google for code to remove the blogspot tool bar at the top & if you get a proper URL to mask the blogspot addy it will look like a legit site. Cool work too, Michael. That stippling must take forever. er edit I was spell checking that & discovered there is a stippling brush so maybe it didn't take that long at all. That's interesting, learn something every day! So I guess it's safe to assume Pushead uses a brush for stippling as well?

oh shit nvm the brush is something for ladies makeups oops

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:42 pm

bryce_r wrote:Is this something just to get people to look at your blog? I don't get it.

Certainly seems like it... :lol:

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 pm

JORDAN23 wrote:
bryce_r wrote:Is this something just to get people to look at your blog? I don't get it.

Certainly seems like it... :lol:

Nice burn man. 8)

I Posted for the Michael Skattum interview, then people started putting their 2-cents in, so why not take all the constructive criticism the blog can get i figure! Only makes it better for the reader.

AND

kroker wrote:lose the footer & sidebar , you can google for code to remove the blogspot tool bar at the top & if you get a proper URL to mask the blogspot addy it will look like a legit site.

...cheers man. I'll look into it!

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Everybody's hustlin' . . .

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Awesome knives by Michael!
Post a reply