ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:55 am

THANK YOU Thread 
Line of Credit

Post Re: THANK YOU Thread
Ha, I have been sitting on that email with wary over whether I should risk the install after some questionable reviews, but you're convincing me to make the move.

I mean, if YOU can't find anything wrong with it, then hell, it must be alright. :)

"The secret of happiness is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less."
--
Socrates, not a toy collector.

SELLING: - - -
TRADING: - - -
WANTING: the Good / the Bad / & Plenty of the Ugly!

Now In INSTACOLOR: @boonvelvet

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:41 pm
Mr. Grumpy™

boon velvet wrote:
Ha, I have been sitting on that email with wary over whether I should risk the install after some questionable reviews, but you're convincing me to make the move.

I mean, if YOU can't find anything wrong with it, then hell, it must be alright. :)

It's not bad. I mean it was a little disconcerning at first because everything looks completely different (different fonts, where is this, where is that) BUT essentially not that diferent from Snow Leopard, just a few features that sort of make it look a little bit like iOS? Overall aesthetically I like it more (colors, fonts etc). I do notice it's faster than Snow Leopard, but it might have something to do with my 8GB RAM upgrade instead of the normal 4GB Apple gave me. I definitely researched it quite a bit before upgrading and most of the memory hogging, slowdown that came with Yosemite is gone. Mail is cool because I just booked a flight home for January and apple mail recognized my flights and nudged me to add these to iCal for reminders to check in etc. You can do lots of things with Safari as well like customize your browser adding buttons to print, email link, font sizing etc. Spotlight is cool as you can just start typing away in it and things come up relative to your computer and the web rather than getting on the web and searching.

And yes iTunes somehow magically remembers scroll position btw playlists which was a giant complaint since I have some playlists of 3000 or more tunes.

I went here and found some really interesting feature uses:

http://www.techradar.com/us/how-to/comp ... ks-1305433

The ultimate nudge to upgrade for me was a complete loss in functionality on Snow Leopard. I had complete slow down using Safari and banking sites/paypal site would not load anymore, I was forced to often open a third party browser like Firefox just to do things. Finally I checked the Roaring Apps site and discovered the few programs I use all worked well with El Capitan so I was just like 'fuck this I'm not holding out anymore!"

The one thing I do NOT like though is the new 'Photos' program. The old iPhoto was much better.

EDIT: DO NOT use iCloud.I synced my iPad innocently for the first time in a year or two and I was thinking cool I'd like to take advantage of synching my bookmarks etc like I use to do before Apple said I could sync anymore because my iTunes was too old. Well this is a bit of a scam (hasn't the iCloud always been a scam?) and once I signed in I realized Apple could easily count a ton of shit towards your 5GB limit and all they had to do was start charging my paypal whenever they felt I went over. So I quickly signed out but then it fucked up my Calendar, Notes programs etc because now I can't use them because I'm no longer the admn for them. It's a bit tricky. So I had to delete all those cool calenders with my flight info etc and start fresh. Apple can be a bit heavy handed with your shit. My feelings are once you use the new OS X you should be able to do whatever you want without some mythical iCloud bullshit interference fucking your shit up!

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

\ :D / THANK YOU, Dagoberto!!! You made me feel like attending 2015 D-Con with that punk haul:

http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=31450&p=883367#p883367

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:12 pm
Mr. Grumpy™

Thank fuck! Done with the fall semester as of 10 minutes ago (emailed last assignment in) and I have 38 days of freedom till my last semester of school. Done in May! As least this next semester I have a cool internship helping monitor owl and peregrine falcon populations in the area with the DEC. This offsets boring Calc 2 and Sign Language 2.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Vintage

Hey, congratulations man. Just a little more to go, and it will all be over. Well-earned. Enjoy the time off and try to [at least temporarily] forget all things school-related.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:27 pm
Toy Prince

Lixx wrote:
...I have a cool internship helping monitor owl and peregrine falcon populations in the area with the DEC....

Congrats and good luck! Sounds pretty interesting. Could be a good opportunity there for a career afterwards too.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:48 am
Mr. Grumpy™

Thank you internet for finding me a solution to avoid Apple's newer (but crappier) program 'Photos'. What an awful program! iPhoto was so much better. Apple is a bit insidious by not making 9.6.1 (the last version) available on the app store, but my work around was connecting my external drive to Kim's computer still running Yosemite and grabbing a copy. Thankfully I can now properly edit photos without banging my head on the desk or having to deal with Photoshop.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Thank you to my boyfriend's cousin for getting me a case of Jones soda for Christmas... because ringing in the New Year with seltzer feels so sad.

Have officially made the decision not to drink alcohol anymore because one drink either
a) gets me really drunk really fast,
b) really tired where I get grumpy and want to pass out, or
c) makes me nauseous as all hell.
(Medicine I take interacts with alcohol in a real bad way.)

So it's special soda on holidays and special occasions now.
I had Green Apple, mmm.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:04 am
Profile WWW