ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Feel free to say what you really think right here.
Post a reply

How to avoid bandwitdth charges if this site is overused?

banner ads
6%
donation box
No votes
super 7 x skullbrain.org benifit toy
94%

Total votes : 16

BANNER ADS/DONATIONS

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:38 pm

hey

I just got my first email from my host. they said they noticed a serious spike in the traffic and told me to watch the bandwidth to avoid overages.

If this site gets nuts, I am thinking I will ask around for banner ads. small ones, but something to help with the domain costs.

or I am thinking of putting up one of those donation things.

Are these options annoying or rude? Which is the lesser of the two evils?

Thanks
ir

Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:37 pm

i chose benefit toy, but banner ads are okay and i'd be willing to donate as well :D

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:39 am

IM WITH jACKIE-EITHER ONE IS FINE-iLL EVEN DONATE-THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:06 pm

A toy would be really cool.

I've seen a pretty popular site die a bloody death after not getting enough donations, and the site creator/operator getting drunk and going insane. So maybe if you don't drink we'll be okay.

Otherwise maybe banner ads, I wouldn't see any problem with that at all, you gotta do what you gotta do.

sober

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:37 pm

well I don't drink so we are cool there I guess.

IR

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:41 pm

I don't mind a few banners. You have to pay the bills somehow. But a benefit figure would be cool of course.

Re: sober

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:56 pm

ramos wrote:well I don't drink so we are cool there I guess.

IR

Okay cool that's a relief. You could still have problems getting enough in donations though, I guess depending on how much it costs to run the site and I don't know anything about that kind of stuff. The site I was talking about was very bandwidth heavy, so I'd imagine it cost quite a bit to run it, you might be alright with donations if your costs aren't that high and you get some good members, and by good I mean better than me.

Joking, I'm real good. :wink:

I think a benefit figure would be really cool though, if at all feasible?

Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:57 pm

either way Ramos - it's a great site.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:56 pm

I'll donate

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:27 am

I will donate or buy a toy but banner ads are lame and it takes forever to sell them.

Of course !

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:08 am

I would be more than happy to help out. I dig this site ! I think you have done a great service for all of the SB heads - keep the site running smooth.

I also wanted to mention that I think unlike OTHER discussion boards elsewhere, it would be nice if SB threads stay devoted to SB info. Seems like alot of other threads elsewhere always end up getting hijacked and having NOTHING to do with SB info after awhile. A connection between other products is cool, but please use other threads for information regarding other types of kaiju or character vinyls.

I would love the emphasis to be on SB, isn't that the main reason why this forum was started ? Have fun collecting.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:41 am

You just hijacked this thread with a rant about hijacking threads.

cool

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:43 am

thanks for the answers. There is a plan in the works to make sure no costs will be passed on to the user.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:26 pm

i think that through a benefit toy and / or donations would be the way to go. AWESOME SITE i will mos def support!!!
Post a reply