ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Gargamel, Secret Base, Real Head, Anraku, Bemon, Exohead, U.S. Toys
Post a reply

Japanese Conan the Barbarian ?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Looks like these guys got overlooked this past weekend. I just saw them now over at KAD TANKS blog and love them !

*edit = just got word that these where pretty sloppy, you can see it in the holes through the hands. To bad as I think this toy is pretty sweet and with a little love would be bad ass ! I'm still keeping my eyes open for this guy ;)

Re: Japanese Conan the Barbarian ?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:47 pm

These look like incredibly cheap knockoffs that you would find at Longdrugs or CVS. I know Jeff and a few others would LOVE these but they look forgettable to me.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Needs more lamentation of women. =P

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Nate wrote:Needs more lamentation of women. =P

This made me laugh out loud, thank you Nate for making my day!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm

I would love these if they were cheapo dollar store figures and would buy them all. But ath 5,500 Yen, not happening. Cool design though.

I wish they just were cast in solid rubber (like LJN WWF figures of the 80's) and came out like that.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm

bryce_r wrote:These look like incredibly cheap knockoffs that you would find at Longdrugs or CVS. I know Jeff and a few others would LOVE these but they look forgettable to me.

O I totally agree , but I like those toys also. The thing is if these where priced the same as the CVS stuff it would be justifiable. For the price tag I will pass also.

BUT if the maker takes the time to step up his game, clean up the cuts and be creative with paint I may cave.

But I'm a sucker for these type of toys, I grew up on He-Man and Thundarr for Christs sake lol.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

i actually like the blue 'Keldor' one. i can see myself paying for that, but i would not pay full price for the flesh ones

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 am

:lol:

I like the idea. Reminds me of bootleg MOTU for sure. And I agree- blue version>flesh.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:36 am

The blue one with the weird mace-axe rules hard. I love the style and scale of these and would totally own a bunch.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:04 am

Rich wrote:
bryce_r wrote:These look like incredibly cheap knockoffs that you would find at Longdrugs or CVS. I know Jeff and a few others would LOVE these but they look forgettable to me.

But I'm a sucker for these type of toys, I grew up on He-Man and Thundarr for Christs sake lol.

growing up not being allowed to play with he-man made me adore these even more.

im with bryce - though i love concept to come up with these,
they dont do anything to me.
wishing they would be much more realistic and kitchy ...guts be cool too,
or just rough & abstract.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 am

I really enjoy the blue version. I think the "bootleg charm" is in that one the most. :D

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:09 am

My only problem with these is the paint. Give guys like Joel, Rich, and Paul a shot with these and I guarantee they'd be stunners.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:36 am

i pass...there's nothing that is getting me psyched on these. I grew up on he-man & still love all the re-releases of the classic figs. But these just look off to me.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:49 am

Them looking "off" is what's appealing to me. Not to knock the mentioned painters, I'm sure they could do some cool stuff with it, but I really like the minimal paint. Again, it's just a "what you're paying for" issue. I wish so hard these were Dollar Tree toys for $1 not Japanese vinyl for $60+.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:28 am

Love this figure, especially the facial design/expression.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 am

BloodDrinker6969 wrote:...it's just a "what you're paying for" issue. I wish so hard these were Dollar Tree toys for $1 not Japanese vinyl for $60+.

these would be great at $1. I would customize the sh*t out of these.
$60 is pretty ridiculous. They're gonna have to work a little harder for my money.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Vombie wrote:.... They're gonna have to work a little harder for my money.

I never met the guys, but I'm pretty sure they worked hard to make these toys, probably the same as any other company.... and probably even more so since they are a start up company. It just so happened that the shape of this toy resembles a bootleg you'd find at a dollar store, so it may seem not worth it. But it's pretty obvious that that's what they were trying to go for, that bootleg look....

But kudos to them for releasing their first toy, and I wish them much success down the road!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:35 pm

What is best in life?

To sculpt the clay, see it made in vinyl, and to hear the lamentation of the SkullBrain!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:54 pm

JoeMan wrote:What is best in life?

To sculpt the clay, see it made in vinyl, and to hear the lamentation of the SkullBrain!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:19 pm

That's SIRIUS the Barbarian

some close-ups =

the PopSoda shop has 'em in stock. I actually love these - on the scale of Five Star figures, which I have a bunch :D

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Wish they had more MOTU-esque poses (the "battle ready" bent knees). But yeah, I'd love to check out one of these in person.
Kudos on the Keldor reference, btw.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Wow, loving this figure, thanks for the post Rich!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Greg Mishka wrote:Wow, loving this figure, thanks for the post Rich!

I didn't think of it, but you guys could definitely take this guy to the next level !

Get Joel on the phone and cook us up a killer colab with this figure.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:22 pm

I wonder if anyone is gonna make toys from turkish star wars...

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 pm

gatchabert wrote:I wonder if anyone is gonna make toys from turkish star wars...

One can only dream !
Post a reply