ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Here is your chance to impress your internet friends
Post a reply

Re: The "What you just got in the Mail" Thread

Tue May 17, 2016 4:27 pm

That's what I call dedication to a theme. That blue one! :shock:

Tue May 17, 2016 6:26 pm

^thanks :)
I see blue ones on YJA from time to time.

Tue May 17, 2016 6:28 pm

Very purty! How tall is the Blueberry cutie? A nice addition to the family :D

Tue May 17, 2016 6:30 pm

I wonder how it came to be that pink / yellow / brown became the Booska colors, IIRC Booska only ever appeared in black & white!

Tue May 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Mr. Humphreys wrote:Very purty! How tall is the Blueberry cutie? A nice addition to the family :D

He's about 15". This or the blue with blue spots was a long time want for me. If I ever score a biliken plush Booska, then I'd go nuts. ...but I'm very happy with my collection as it is now. I was hoping 2016 was going to bring a bunch of new Booska sculpts.

Tue May 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks for the update Vombie! :) He's a handsome guy, to be sure. Good thing you opted for the heavy duty case! :D Congrats on a wonderful collection with a high cuteness factor.

Wed May 18, 2016 7:57 am

I've wanted these for ages. They are even greater in hand.

Wed May 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Great finds, Victor! And right up your color alley. :D

Wed May 18, 2016 10:41 pm

:o gracias to my fellow collectors~

Wed May 18, 2016 10:50 pm

Gorgeous!!! What beautiful toys! :shock:
Rei, I hope that you'll favor us with a "collection" photo one of these days.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12921

Your collection must be impressive! :shock:

Wed May 18, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks Grace! I have quite a few shelves set up, but the house is a work in progress mess :oops:
I'll be posting in that thread asap!

Wed May 18, 2016 10:59 pm

Doo Dong done do no wrong!!!

Tasty mushroom, too. Did Marmfolk do the spritz, or was it one of them ruiners?

Thu May 19, 2016 9:56 am

Reportedly spritz is courtesy of Skullbrain "ruiner" Lee Porter.

Thu May 19, 2016 10:18 am

As requested. here's a glowie shot of the chunky US Toys Kanegon that came Saturday.

This is about the best shot I could get -- My photo skills could most generously be described as 'below average.'

Thu May 19, 2016 11:04 am

By the way, while taking the pic, I noticed for the first time this odd rectangular 'dent' in the Kanegon's chest. It certainly looks to be something "in the mold," i.e. not damage, but I don't recall seeing any similar divots on other pieces, and I can't think of any reason for this one. It almost makes me want to print out a tiny red/white "HELLO MY NAME IS Kanegon" sticker for that location ...

Anyone know what this is from, or for? Anyone else with a large US Toys Kanegon who would check and see if it's in all of them, or just a flaw in this one?

Thu May 19, 2016 11:08 am

I have noticed that on other figures. Is it the money counter readout perhaps?

Thu May 19, 2016 11:42 am

Loving that glowy shot man. He is such a wondrous beast. A definite excellent cornerstone for any collection.

As for the dent, it is definitely intentional, though what it is supposed to be on the 'little' fella I am not sure exactly (coin counter does sound pretty intriguing :P, it does appear to be some type of meter/numbering). But it is accurate to the actual costume, as you can see in these pics just about his left breast:

And they made it even larger/brighter on his Chibira-kun iteration of the costume:

You can also see it in this scan from one of the kaiju costume photos from a sonosheet (thumbs up to astromonster for the share), where I think it does say what it is maybe, but can't read it myself.

As Rei mentioned, quite a few other toys have it as well - probably those that haven't been over cutified (which is pretty normal for ol' Kanny) - even going back to the OG Marusan/Bullmark which had it as a little crown/pocket. Sometimes it is coloured in, others just a rectangle or dent; it is quite noticeable in the NH versions you can see here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&p=771231

EDIT: I just found this pic of a close-up of one of the figures, and it does seem to confirm that, yes, it is indeed a coin counter!! Well, what do you know. :) Excellent guess there man! Wow, those must have been some tasty Yen.

Thu May 19, 2016 12:05 pm

miami wrote:As requested. here's a glowie shot of the chunky US Toys Kanegon that came Saturday.

This is about the best shot I could get -- My photo skills could most generously be described as 'below average.'

Oh my! That thing is gorgeous! Congrats! It glows like a champ!

Thu May 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Just had to adopt these two classic dudes~
thanks Adam!

Thu May 19, 2016 11:35 pm

Oh Rei! I am so very jealous of that Cyclops. What a great thing to snag on here. As a lifetime Harryhausen fan, there is so much right about that toy. Fantastic. Excellent grabs on both of those fellas.

Fri May 20, 2016 1:08 am

I'm with Ultra. That Billiken kit(which I embarrassingly barely learned about) is fantastic. Love how he's seemingly looking down to the Krampus!

Fri May 20, 2016 4:15 am

"Imma eat 'cha, 'Santa'!"

Fri May 20, 2016 3:25 pm

^ Lucky Rei... Please, does Cyclops have an articulated jaw?

Fri May 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Indeed he does, as well as an extra head with two horns instead of one ;)

Fri May 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks for the glowie pic Miami :shock: . Kanegon is a fav of mine. Pardon my ignorance, but how do you take a glowie pic? Do you shine massive light on the toy, cut the lights, and take a pic using a tripod? Or is a more extensive setup necessary?
Post a reply