ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Chicago Underground
Post a reply

Re: Get together

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 am

yeah... i only took three pictures. none of them are of food. one of the downfalls
of having someone else who incessantly take pictures of her food is that no one
remembers to take them when she's not there.

that, and i don't think there was a shutter speed fast enough to get a picture
before that bacon explosion disappeared. (and oh yes... the sauce.)

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Bacon *drool*
I think for dinner tonight, I'm gonna cook up some of that backbacon I bought at the tasting :)
Wish I stole that bottle of sauce...
-M

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:43 pm

I had a big slab of pork belly last night my wife made. I love pigs and their belly's.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:44 pm

we gathered to welcome our two new chicago skullbrain members, magilliagorilla and sbbenhcs.
and also consume bacon.

the chicago skullbrain crew
from left to right, clockwise: smilingidiot, magillagorilla, sbbenhcs, damaged bryan, mary, nicole
not pictured: legoomba

paddy long's very own bacon explosion

my grotesque chunk of bacon explosion

the star of the evening—spencer's dry cured back bacon!
this is the reason we all showed up tonight. it was worth the 5 hour wait. just look at it. the charred edges pushed it over the edge. dreamy!

and now i understand the difference between american bacon (blech) and british/irish/canadian bacon (yum).

my new (and spritely as a spring chicken) canadian girlfriend of the evening revealed to me that peameal back bacon from toronto is the only real bacon. and as much fun as the bacon explosion was in theory, it was too much like eating mouthfuls of dried out pastrami. however, the sauce was excellent.

when and where's the next spencer's event?
Last edited by Ultra999 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 pm

and bill saves the day! where were you hiding a camera? and how come i never noticed
you taking pictures? has my exposure to hong kong-ians desensitized me to the fact that
i'm on camera? what do you mean by "the fouth wall?" so many questions... and not enough
of that sauce.

shall we mob paddy's again tomorrow night after the show? or shall we look to newer pastures?

*edit* oh, now i see why you went unnoticed... it was while i was carving that 6-ish pound
beast of tasty, tasty heart attack waiting to happen.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Dear Tree Hat,

You are so good looking!
I want to take you to an
island and drink daiquiris
out of your ass.
Who is your favorite band?
I like Enya! When your hat
lights up I want to bang
your pants off!!!
XXOO
Treelover

bryan, what are doqwiras?

*edit* doqwiras -> daiquiris (looked up proper spelling)
Last edited by Ultra999 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:16 pm

LOL!
you still have it?!?! awesome! i thought nicole pitched it when we lost our
exquisite corpse... "balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls"

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:35 pm

daquiri's like strawberry. My hand writing is horrible. Bill always has his camera at the ready, I'm really looking forward to the pictures tomorrow of us huddled up until he become nerdcicles.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:49 pm

did everyone else miss this, or was it just me:

maxtoyco Toy Karma 3, at Rotofugi , September 9th, 2011
!!! ;-) start planning to be there folks.. I predict some
amazing guests .. just sayin'
1:34 AM Dec 6th via web
Retweeted by rotofugi

no waiting in the cold next year!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:40 pm

did catch that tweet. awesome! will tentatively plan on being around but no idea what life will be like by next fall.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:41 am

there's a groupon for a new event at paddy long's: a five-course taste-pairing of beers and bacons. sounds like a great reason for an outing. anyone?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm

i'd be down for paddy's again, no doubt... but i think i'd rather just go and eat another bacon explosion vs 5 tiny
strips of bacon and beer pairings. (or at least that's how i read "taste-pairing of beers and bacons"... and how is
that supposed to last two whole hours?)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:41 pm

remember the back-bacon debacle? we were there for three hours before the small plate even made an appearance. it didin't last 2 minutes, though. but that's how these things last so long :lol:

when did bacon get so fancy that they get their own paired tastings? :roll:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Don't drink. Can I sub the beer for more bacon?

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 am

mmmm... Bacon, actually it's putt putt next weekend July 9th son! I think, I know one of my friends have a B-day, I will post something this weekend.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:51 am

Dang. putt putt next weekend? I'm going to be in Milwaukee.

I've been practicing my putt putts. Bill is going down next time!

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 am

i'll still be kicking you butt butts.

actually, no. that win was a freak accident, never to be repeated... or will it? dun dun duuun!

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 am

I work. Usual story.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:16 am

i will (hopefully) not be triple booked that weekend.
Post a reply